XBMC Ported To Run On Mir Display Server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
    There are no such numbers. You haven't provided any relevant numbers, either, but you didn't read any of the sources you linked to close enough to realize this, or to realize that the sources contradict your position.
    Yes I did. I can interpret numbers myself, thanks and Anandtech's opinion don't contradict anything. Again, what YOU consider relevant or not is totally irrelevant for ME or market analysts.

No, they will support what will make them the most money. They are corporations, they care about making money. If they will gain (or lose) more money based on their wayland support than their mir support (which is in line with their own statements about where their money comes from), then they will support wayland. And vice versus. Popularity contests only matter with geeks, what matters to corporations is money. And those are not necessarily very closely related.
    "Most popular" and "what makes most money" coincide here. It doesn't matter in the least what companies say at a given point. If Ubuntu proves to be more popular both for gamers and workstation users, hardware manufacturers will simply follow. This is so obvious I shouldn't be even writing it.

Still unable to find sources for your claims?

Comment

• Originally posted by Aleve Sicofante View Post
      Err... This market was supposed to be ran by Suse and Redhat. I guess your name being "LinuxGamer" makes you somehow unable to understand anything but games...?
      when i say workstations i'm talking about "Enterprise" Linux Etc most of them dont even have intelnet... and even World of Warcraft Servers run RHEL too

you call a shitty desktop from Walmart a workstation ohh wait Walmart runs SUSE... damn

Comment

• Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
        when i say workstations i'm talking about "Enterprise" Linux Etc most of them dont even have intelnet... and even World of Warcraft Servers run RHEL too

you call a shitty desktop from Walmart a workstation ohh wait Walmart runs SUSE... damn
        Exactly, but ubuntu fanboys doesn't recognize it never hahahah

Comment

Yes I did. I can interpret numbers myself, thanks
          All evidence to the contrary, since you posted web site hit statistics by OS claiming it was workstation market share. They didn't even try to count workstations (unless you think there are android workstations somewhere).

Originally posted by Aleve Sicofante View Post
          and Anandtech's opinion don't contradict anything.
          It explicitly contradicts your claim that Ubuntu is more popular for enterprise.

"Most popular" and "what makes most money" coincide here.
          You need to provide some evidence to back this up. Your own link says the exact opposite. Selling a large number of products with a tiny profit margin will not necessarily win out against selling a smaller number with huge profit margins.

It doesn't matter in the least what companies say at a given point.
          Right, I am sure you know Nvidia's business much better than Nvidia does.

If Ubuntu proves to be more popular both for gamers and workstation users, hardware manufacturers will simply follow. This is so obvious I shouldn't be even writing it.
          Yes, but you have yet to establish any evidence whatsoever that Ubuntu has any meaningful presence for workstations. Considering they have made the explicit decision to exclude workstations and workstation-orientated software, I think you have an uphill battle there.

Comment

"Most popular" and "what makes most money" coincide here. It doesn't matter in the least what companies say at a given point. If Ubuntu proves to be more popular both for gamers and workstation users, hardware manufacturers will simply follow. This is so obvious I shouldn't be even writing it.
            "What make the most money" is a great point to think about here. Lets just say Ubuntu finally starts to make a decent amount of money on the desktop and finally starts to become a leader in Linux technlogies by way of Mir, Upstart, etc Ubuntu starts stealing large numbers of Workstation clients from RatHat what do you really think is going to happen?
            On one side you have a company in RedHat that generates over billion dollars (and growing rapidly) in revenue and is seen have a as the current leader in Linux based technologies (a title I'm sure they are keen to retain) which buys up two or three companys every year for tens to hundreds of millinons of dollars, on the other side you have a private company begging for $32 million from the public to produce a technology they are calling their future.
            Those who as calling Ubuntu "the" Linux distrobution need a serious reality check. If Ubuntu ever truely becomes a Linux leader with exclusive control over essential Linux technologies via its CLA's I dont think RedHat would just sit by and say well we had a good run. Enterprise linux is where the money is, its what the hardware companies care about, and RedHat is the market leader not Ubuntu.

Edit: And as far as Steam goes they are using Ubuntu now because it has good numbers but Steam on Linux is really only a testbed for their own Steambox. When it comes to Steam/Games and Wayland/Mir the deciding factor will be what Valve uses in the Steam box not what Ubuntu uses. Those calling Wayland vs Mir a geek war should know the guys at value are geeks, and I'm sure they will use what is the most stable and has the best performance. Which one they will choose nobody knows but one thing is for sure Valve is looking out for Valve not for Canonical.
            Last edited by timothyja; 25 July 2013, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Blah, blah, blah... Post some sources like I've done. They support my view, not yours. So if you don't know "where to start", I suggest Google.
              Oh, I'm sorry, I mistook you for someone willing to engage in reasonable discourse. I didn't realize you were simply trolling. I'm sorry to inform but my troll-bashing schedule is already filled by Bozley and that one guy who rants about global warming. I could fit you in somewhere around next month, maybe? I'll have to get back to you on that. Call my secretary and make an appointment.

Comment

• bo$$ rage quitted and Aleve Sicofante took the job it seems

i call bullshit you supposedly know what "workstations" is!! buying separated pieces in amazon don't count as "workstation" either an a pc with office is not a "workstation".

this is a workstation http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/w...ions/z820.html and check the detailed specs
                "Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop/Workstation (1 year paper license; no preinstalled OS)" <-- note most normal enterprise client chooses the fat gold 365 care plan directly from redhat + HP 3 year expansion that both reach around 5k$.

crunch numbers and for hardware maker you will realize every redhat client worth at least 10 ubuntu[any distro fit here] users minimal and to top that buy uber profitable hardware, so ubuntu to reach profit numbers important enough for hardware maker need at least 20% of global OEM market sales.

the other problem is microsoft will sue mark until he is homeless if ubuntu reach market enough to mess with their turf[OEM], RedHat is the only linux company with enough force[billions of $$$ and big lawyers] to fight a turf war with microsoft but they won't until linux desktop reach certain goals needed for mass market adoption[more deep than wayland/mir].

Unless ubuntu can proof that they can surpass the massive truckload of money they make with redhat their priority is redhat, is that simple. ofc if canonical don't do anything idiotic like add canonical extension to EGL they most likely will work too.

either way valve is not enough or magical enough to give 19% global market magically to any linux distro, is just another incremental step. And valve will probably go with the more supported option for steambox/bigpicture, for valve linux distros[steam works perfectly outside ubuntu this days] are good testbed but their priority is their console where the fat money is[will benefit linux too ofc].

steambox won't use ubuntu internally for the steambox you can write that in stone, they will roll their own to have tier 1 control for their needs from GUI to hardware

Comment

Working...
                X