NVIDIA Releases Beta OpenGL 4.4 Linux Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by halfmanhalfamazing View Post
    instead of against us, and contributed to Mesa instead of keeping with the old ways of doing things, we might all have more advanced OpenGL functionality across the board.

I agree with you completely

Comment

instead of against us, and contributed to Mesa instead of keeping with the old ways of doing things, we might all have more advanced OpenGL functionality across the board.

maybe this is why we don't have EGL Support.........

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        I'm not terribly surprised nvidia released it this quick. First of all, it's a beta. Second, nvidia and AMD are pretty much the only companies that have hardware effectively capable of opengl 4.4, so that means nvidia must have already been experimenting with this before it was even announced.
        Furthermore, the new versions of OpenGL basically just ratify pre-existing extensions that either NVidia or AMD already had present, and just require them for the new GL version. So most of the work tends to just be renaming extensions from AMD_ and NV_ to ARB_, with maybe slight tweaks in the way they work.

Comment

The same day Nvidia released their first 4.4 driver, AMD released their first 4.3.

Let it be known: LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by lakerssuperman View Post
            Any word on Kernel support? Does this finally bring 3.10+ support? Thanks.
            Isn't that something the distros usually patch in? I'm runnig 3.10 with CK Patchset and NVIDIA prop driver. No problem.

Comment

Nice

Nice to see Nvidia already have a beta driver out.
              I hope to soon see AMD have a beta driver out too.

Too bad it will take a long time before open source drivers get OpenGL 4.4, and by then likely OpenGL 5 is out.

I hope Intel is aiming for OpenGL 4.4 and throwing some effort at it!

Comment

[IMG]http://www.phoronix.net/image.php?id=0x2012&image=linus_nvidia_finger_show &w=1920[IMG]
                Or if Microsoft would help contribute to the DirectX tracker

Comment

Working...
                X