Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 41 to 49 of 49

Thread: Samsung Accidentally Leaked The exFAT Linux Driver

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    3,795

    Default

    Not sure if someone mentioned this in the thread yet, but doesn't Samsung ship a Linux kernel with the devices? (Mostly rhetorical question; the answer is obviously yes.) In that case, the exFAT kernel module has to be GPL, right? The only reason kernel modules from say, NVidia are getting away with not being GPL is that those companies do not ship it together with an actual kernel.

    Did I miss something here?

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    Not sure if someone mentioned this in the thread yet, but doesn't Samsung ship a Linux kernel with the devices? (Mostly rhetorical question; the answer is obviously yes.) In that case, the exFAT kernel module has to be GPL, right? The only reason kernel modules from say, NVidia are getting away with not being GPL is that those companies do not ship it together with an actual kernel.

    Did I miss something here?
    Yep, it's not automatic. It might be one of the outcome if a kernel copyright holder went to court (or at lit complained). It might not be.
    It has been mentionned indeed, 2 posts above yours

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    3,795

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by erendorn View Post
    Yep, it's not automatic. It might be one of the outcome if a kernel copyright holder went to court (or at lit complained). It might not be.
    It has been mentionned indeed, 2 posts above yours
    Did no one ask Samsung for the code? The GPL specifies that you can ask them for it, and they must provide you with a copy. If no one asked them yet, they're not infringing on anything. This will only happen if they refuse.

  4. #44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rzrx View Post
    Here's the original source of the leak that I have used in the exfat-nofuse project: https://github.com/kcrudup/gt-n8000-...cc3ca/fs/exfat
    Oh look, it vanished!

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    Did no one ask Samsung for the code? The GPL specifies that you can ask them for it, and they must provide you with a copy. If no one asked them yet, they're not infringing on anything. This will only happen if they refuse.
    No, if they distribute GPL software to you then they have to tell you, and have to include an offer to access the source code.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    3,795

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
    No, if they distribute GPL software to you then they have to tell you, and have to include an offer to access the source code.
    Well they do that, since they use Android. The question was whether anyone has actually requested the source yet.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    Well they do that, since they use Android. The question was whether anyone has actually requested the source yet.
    Apparently LLStarks did, but no update on that.
    Also, maybe you need to be someone who Samsung distributed the program to to be in a position to ask? It doesn't cost much to ask anyway.

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    3,795

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by erendorn View Post
    Apparently LLStarks did, but no update on that.
    Also, maybe you need to be someone who Samsung distributed the program to to be in a position to ask? It doesn't cost much to ask anyway.
    As long as you get a copy of their binaries, you are entitled to source code. It doesn't matter how you get the binaries; when you get them, you also get all the rights granted by the GPL.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LLStarks View Post
    I contacted Samsung's Open Source Release Center.

    We're pretty much guaranteed a response now.
    Did you ever get a response?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •