KDE Vivaldi Tablet Finally Shipping For QA Testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dee. View Post
    Do you realize that libhybris, which enables Mir to use Android drivers.
    There's no proof of that. Carsten Munk just guessed Canonical forked his code and months later released a bigger coded project than his declaring them thieves.

If you programme, methods and structures do end up looking similar when attempting to tackle the same task.
    Last edited by e8hffff; 23 July 2013, 04:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
      There's no proof of that. Carsten Munk just guessed Canonical forked his code and months later released a bigger coded project than his.

If you programme, methods and structures do end up looking similar when attempting to tackle the same task.

If someone can prove that the coding was copied verbatim in parts or it's declared a fork, then it's only a guess.
      Canonical is now CONTRIBUTING to libhybris.

Carsten Munk's quote from this post:
      But, I will say that their behavior has improved - they are now participating in the project, discussing, upstreaming patches that are useful. And I forgive them because they've changed their ways and are participating sanely now.

Comment

Originally posted by panda84 View Post
        Guys! Michael just copied over the old Vivaldi (formerly Spark) specs:

The new (rough) ones are here:

Blogs about hardware:

The main card will be swappable, meaning you can upgrade SOC, RAM, etc:
        http://rhombus-tech.net/
        Damn that looks good Especially that ethernet port. Any idea if there will be integrated GPS (can't be done because of Nokia patents?) or will it be possible to connect one to it?

Also, I'm for 7inch, 10 is too much IMHO.

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
        as always it seems that is too mainstream to check facts?

1.) Vivaldi has suffered many shortcomings because they are focused in open source friendly hardware and many providers fail them until they found the right one [aaron seijo has posted like zillion times including hangouts explaining why he rejected hardware that cannot be used using open source code]

2.) Plasma-Active is integral part of KDE SC and is updated every release, maybe you are checking some freaking old code from before it got integrated into KDE git?

3.) you can switch between plasma and plasma active realtime and even use both 1 per activity, kde 4.0 was years ago you know? is 4.11 this days

4.) Wayland can run on anything that have GPU on it, close enough to the hardware that is actually impressive and it can use android drivers perfectly fine[lot better than Mir, after all libhybris was created FOR Wayland], it can run using software and it can run using SoC specific acceleration path[see collabora and raspberry PI example] too.

5.) Qt5.1 support wayland almost perfectly[and Native not through some half done layer] and Qt-5.2[KDE SC 5 version] will fix all the corner cases remaining

6.) Wayland software render is not your regular X11 software renderer, it basically uses pixman for very fast CPU operations and SHM for buffering Surfaces into RAM nothing else and is freaking fast even on ARM[youtube is your friend not your foe]

7.) Vivaldi lastly is not a world domination device nor is your next google killer, is just a project focused of generate a portable device for developers[or KDE fan] FOSS friendly and vendor unlocked to enjoy freedom from device to software[again is everywhere kdeplanet, google, G+, youtube, phoronix, the H, forums, etc], so for the target audience we don't care if it have 30000dpi screen or if it have 32 ARM cores as long is offer openness and good FOSS support, is not a consumer device

8.) Jolla is actually using wayland and is actually finished[unlike ubuntu phone it actually exist] and is in the process of getting partners[pretty much close to FirefoxOS work with ZTE] carriers and manufacturers, ofc i don't expect it on the next samsung GS5 but more in mid HTC/huawei/ZTE phones[like firefox it is very resource friendly and scalate quite well]

9.) Mir is a project for 2014-2015, today is just vaporware with demos, so wait until it actually can do more than flip surfaces, so it can be compared properly against wayland
        Don't even try.... People who think that Mir is the future and that Mark's blogposts about performance and other BS are true are just a fanboys/trolls and you are never going to convince them (I behaved exactly like this when Unity was announced and even ran whole company office on it until 12.10 and the announcement of Mir. Then I finally understand that stable and steady DE like KDE is much better for everyone.)... Ubuntu just became second Android, and that's not quite the definition of FOSS for me or any other sane person. Yes, they will be successful and you will be able to buy Ubuntu phones in every other shop (if that "indie" campaign go off and with Mark paying the missing money the last day, it will IMHO) but that's about it.
        This on the other hand will maybe be the first fully open-source tablet (even more open-source than RPI, because of GPL licensed GPU drivers, if I got it right from the hangout videos) and that's what makes it interesting and attractive for me and many other people

Canonical is now CONTRIBUTING to libhybris.
        Canonical contributing to upstream? That indeed approves the use of the bold font

Comment

Originally posted by caryhartline View Post
          Plasma Active is a no go for being in the hands of anyone who isn't a KDE enthusiast. Aaron Seigo is basically making a tablet for himself and a few friends.
          Aaron Seigo is not developing the tablet. The Community interest company Rhombus Tech is.

And the same hardware is being used for other projects:
          29 Apr 2013: First sample pictures

Last week Aaron's samples arrived, ahead of schedule. It's taken another week for two more to be shipped, and here they are! Photos below show them in an Amphenol PCMCIA socket, which is planned to be used in the 7in Flying Squirrel Tablet and many other products after that, including the 5in Hand-held Games Console and the Open Hardware Laptop. The A10 CPU Card can also take a Dual-Core ARM Cortex A7 Allwinner A20 processor with no modifications to the PCB.
          Moreover the tablet will be fully open (open kernel, open schematics, as many open hardware drivers as possible); so I think it's a big improvement for all the embedded Free Software community, not just for the KDE community.

Comment

Canonical is now CONTRIBUTING to libhybris. Carsten Munk's quote from this post:
            Yes I know that and libhybris is on launchpad. I probably didn't write the post well.

The point I was trying to get across was early on Carsten bitched that his project was stolen but there was no proof Canonical planned to ride his library. Since then they have stayed with it and added to the public code. Some people continue to define Canonical as thieves when they could have simply rewrote the code in their style.

Comment

There's no proof of that. Carsten Munk just guessed Canonical forked his code and months later released a bigger coded project than his.
              Oh please. You're being very silly now.

If someone can prove that the coding was copied verbatim in parts or it's declared a fork, then it's only a guess.
              If you "programme", you can actually tell when code is copied from other code. Canonical admitted it, they tried to pass it off as their own, they now contribute to the original.

Libhybris isn't the only part they swiped, btw - XMir was copied pretty much 1:1 from XWayland, then adapted to talk to Mir instead of the Wayland protocol. Let me be very clear about this: Mir would not be here, it would not be possible, without Wayland - both because of code written for Wayland, and because of the groundwork and plumbing done by Wayland devs and others to make the rest of the graphics stack ready for a modern display system.

Now, maybe you'd like to address the part of my post you conveniently ignored, you know... everything below the first paragraph that you quoted? Because I'd really like to know your answer to this question that I asked in my previous post:

So tell me, why exactly should KDE, Jolla or anyone other than Canonical bother with Mir? Why, when they already have a much better alternative available (Wayland) that suits their needs much better? What possible reasoning could you have for wanting others to use Mir besides blind fanboyism? Maybe you have some new inside info that no one else knows? Please share, I'm listening.

Comment

Do you realize that libhybris, which enables Mir to use Android drivers, was originally developed by Jolla, for Wayland, in order to use Android drivers in Wayland, and is still used by Jolla in order to use Android drivers in Wayland? So not only is it untrue that Mir has an advantage in this regard, the only reason Mir can even use Android drivers is because of Wayland. But then, the entire Mir couldn't exist without all the work done by Wayland developers..
                1. As far as I know Carsten Monk library only did minimal wrapping.
                2. Canonical looked to make their own wrapper but worked with libhyris as they coded their own (happen stance)
                3. They never changed the name of libhybris
                4. When Canonical come out with the code they were currently at [Canonical without malice], Carsten declared them thieves even though it was open source.
                5. The code is open to public and far more embellished.

I was incorrect to say Canonical never forked libhyris as technically it is forking.

Comment

Oh please. You're being very silly now. [/b]
                  You quoted something I edited out.

Canonical didn't fill into their own flesh on a skeleton, they built much of the skeleton and filled it too [in this analogy]. ...So to call them thieves which was the intended context of the original reply, is erroneous.

The question of Wayland using the new libhybris, is for future scrutiny. I hope they do use it, but the direction of Mir seems to be more precise on using Android drivers.
                  Last edited by e8hffff; 23 July 2013, 04:38 AM.

Comment

1. As far as I know Carsten Monk library only did minimal wrapping.
                    2. Canonical looked to make their own wrapper but worked with libhyris as they coded their own (happen stance)
                    3. They never changed the name of libhybris
                    4. When Canonical come out with the code they were currently at [Canonical without malice], Carsten declared them thieves even though it was open source.
                    5. The code is open to public and far more embellished.

I was incorrect to say Canonical never forked libhyris as technically it is forking.
                    According to Munk

Open sourcing worked quite well - a small group of people got together, tested it, improved it, got it running on a lot of multiple chipsets - thanks to OpenWebOS, Florian Haenel (heeen), Thomas Perl (thp), Simon Busch (morphis) and others. It turned the project from a late night hacking project into a viable solution for building device OS'es on top of. Or even running Android NDK applications using.

Earlier this year however, I discovered that a well-known company had taken the code - disappeared underground with it for several months, improved upon it, utilized the capability in their advertisements and demos and in the end posted the code utilizing their own source control system, detached from any state of that of the upstream project's. Even to the extent some posters around the web thought libhybris was done by that company itself.
                    So it was already working before Canonical took and ran with it - it's another part why Mir couldn't exist without Wayland.

Now would you care to address the rest of my post? I'm really curious to know your answer. Why are you avoiding it?

Comment

So it was already working before Canonical took and ran with it - it's another part why Mir couldn't exist without Wayland. Now would you care to address the rest of my post? I'm really curious to know your answer. Why are you avoiding it?
                      As far as I know it was only doing basics, like plain video wrapping and maybe touch. I'm no expert, so I'm only going by what I recall and I haven't been following the scene completely. Like I haven't read before what you quoted.

Canonical said they had to bring abilities into their court as the solutions out there didn't suit their direction [paraphrasing]. The reason why they dropped Wayland and coded for their own needs.
                      Last edited by e8hffff; 23 July 2013, 04:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X