Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: AMD Driver Gets 2D Performance Improvements

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,378

    Default AMD Driver Gets 2D Performance Improvements

    Phoronix: AMD Driver Gets 2D Performance Improvements

    An independent open-source developer has provided a set of four xf86-video-ati X.Org driver patches to boost the 2D rendering performance for Evergreen and Cayman GPUs right now though the optimizations can also be back-ported to R600 and R700 graphics processors too...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQxNzE

  2. #2

    Default

    Isn't the 2D supposed to already be way ahead of catalysts 2D performance? Sounds like now the FOSS driver now has SUPER AWESOME GREAT 2D performance.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chris200x9 View Post
    Isn't the 2D supposed to already be way ahead of catalysts 2D performance? Sounds like now the FOSS driver now has SUPER AWESOME GREAT 2D performance.
    Having been a long-time Catalyst user who recently switched to the open source stack thanks to dpm, I can confirm that the open source stack basicly makes Catalyst's 2D performance look like a complete joke. Cool that it will be even better soon.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    418

    Default

    This effort should be applauded still.

    The 2D performance was already superior, now it's even better.
    It's done by an independent developer! open source at its best. It's hard wanting to work on projects that have pretty good company support. Wasting personal resources on getting up to speed etc etc. So good to see this happen.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Sunshine State
    Posts
    307

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by d2kx View Post
    Having been a long-time Catalyst user who recently switched to the open source stack thanks to dpm, I can confirm that the open source stack basicly makes Catalyst's 2D performance look like a complete joke. Cool that it will be even better soon.
    It's only too bad this can't be said for the 3D performance yet. I need Catalyst still for Blender and Steam.

    Quote Originally Posted by oliver View Post
    This effort should be applauded still.

    The 2D performance was already superior, now it's even better.
    It's done by an independent developer! open source at its best. It's hard wanting to work on projects that have pretty good company support. Wasting personal resources on getting up to speed etc etc. So good to see this happen.
    +1 Congrats and Thank You to the developer. Great work.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    507

    Default

    The developer is committing updates to Mesa, LLVM-R600 Target and now X.Org because the foundation and massive commitment by AMD is clearly apparent. Do we get an article by every independent developer who commits to various projects to improve 3rd party hardware support on Linux?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Sunshine State
    Posts
    307

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
    The developer is committing updates to Mesa, LLVM-R600 Target and now X.Org because the foundation and massive commitment by AMD is clearly apparent. Do we get an article by every independent developer who commits to various projects to improve 3rd party hardware support on Linux?
    If it's significant, i'm sure it will make the news.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    705

    Default

    Is the GL_SELECT Patch finally committed? One or two years ago an independent Developer implement this in hardware for an speed improvements in Blender ...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nille View Post
    Is the GL_SELECT Patch finally committed? One or two years ago an independent Developer implement this in hardware for an speed improvements in Blender ...
    Nope - at last check someone mentioned it wasn't working anymore, so somebody needs to fix it up again if you want it merged into Mesa.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Vienna, Austria; Germany; hello world :)
    Posts
    642

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by d2kx View Post
    Having been a long-time Catalyst user who recently switched to the open source stack thanks to dpm, I can confirm that the open source stack basicly makes Catalyst's 2D performance look like a complete joke. Cool that it will be even better soon.
    ++

    does it also apply to composited desktop (compiz-fusion, kwin with XRender/OpenGL, etc.) ?

    or non-composited only ?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •