Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canonical Goes To Crowd-Funding For Ubuntu Edge Phone

Phoronix: Canonical Goes To Crowd-Funding For Ubuntu Edge Phone

As anticipated, Canonical announced today their Ubuntu Edge smart-phone. However, details are scarce and they don't even have the hardware specifications ironed out but are first trying to raise financing via crowd-funding...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

32 million bucks in a month?

Comment

The price is ok, considering it will have ultra high-end specifications (4GB RAM, 128 GB storage...), run Android & Ubuntu Phone OS and can be used as a full PC. Very excited about this.

Also, please watch this video for the software story: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtNhlVn3ETQ

Comment

Originally posted by blinxwang View Post
        32 million bucks in a month?
        While the phone looks ok and the specs are top notch. 32mil in a month is ridiculous.

Comment

Vaporware. Like all their other "product announcements".

Comment

They should have named it "Ubuntu Miracle".

Don't tell me it's not running their shiny new Mir technology.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
              The price is ok, considering it will have ultra high-end specifications (4GB RAM, 128 GB storage...), run Android & Ubuntu Phone OS and can be used as a full PC. Very excited about this.

Also, please watch this video for the software story: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtNhlVn3ETQ
              Yeah, the specs sound pretty decent, though I wonder why they didn't go for the full 1920x1080 enchilada like the Oppo Find 5 so they could capitalize on the whole "Retina" marketing craze.

Any word yet on how open the driver situation is?

Comment

Can I connect a 2560x1440 screen to it?
                Is it open (like a regular PC) to install any operating system I want?
                Which LTE frequency bands does it support?
                Does the price ($600) contain any VAT?

Comment

I want to hear stretch goals!

Seriously, what are they thinking? Ouya raised around $9 millions in 30 days. I honestley can't see this coming close to that unless Shuttleworth pitches in heavily himself.

Comment

Originally posted by Loranga View Post
                    Can I connect a 2560x1440 screen to it?
                    Is it open (like a regular PC) to install any operating system I want?
                    Which LTE frequency bands does it support?
                    Does the price ($600) contain any VAT?
                    No idea (thatd be based off the GPU.)

Says you can if you read: http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ubuntu-edge and scroll near the bottom. "Will the phone receive updates after launch?"

Says it supports both LTE standards, so go look up the LTE standards and see what carriers support those.

No idea
                    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Working...
                    X