Canonical Posts X.Org, Driver Patches For XMir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
    i don't get how they're saying any thing is "stable" when it's not even Developed....
    What is not developed?

There are RFC quality patches for gpu drivers and for xorg.

XMir is already usable right now. Mir works on mobile phones. Unity 7 works on XMir...

What is NOT developed?

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
      Let me put it this way...theres a lot of back and forth between the Wayland and X teams-- mostly because a lot, if not all, Wayland developers used to be X developers. So lets say you're being pulled between two projects, are you going to back your friends...or the new kid on the block that is throwing a temper tantrum because no one wants to play with him, because of previous temper tantrums?
      "tantrum" is only present when we talk about bysanders -> those who observe and comment news's...

Flamewar was quickly sparked by Mir wiki pages disclosing wrong info about wayland, but that is past story now.

Discussion on the mailing lists You COULD read from links provided by Michael, show enteirly different picture -> people who want a good jobe done.

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
        What is not developed?

There are RFC quality patches for gpu drivers and for xorg.

XMir is already usable right now. Mir works on mobile phones. Unity 7 works on XMir...

What is NOT developed?
        i have not seen This Mir Thing working on Phones the Demo's i seen was Surfaceflinger and Unity 8 Vaporware if i remember

Comment

i have not seen This Mir Thing working on Phones the Demo's i seen was Surfaceflinger and Unity 8 Vaporware if i remember
          Mir have been demoed multiple times on the Phone. You can even download a test build with it and run on your own.

Comment

Originally posted by Pajn View Post
            Why shouldn't they? They accepted patches for Wayland so the only excuse for not accepting this (when they are fully done and polished) would be that they are dickheads but I don't think so.
            Or if they don't accept distro-specific patches, which is a perfectly reasonable policy.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
              Or if they don't accept distro-specific patches, which is a perfectly reasonable policy.
              Mir isn't distro specific. Any distro can use it.
              There have been developers interested in running it on Arch for example (not as an official default but in AUR).

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
                distro specific patches are bad as it can Break distro's

Comment

There have been developers interested in running it on Arch for example (not as an official default but in AUR).
                  Archers will Run any thing they can find

Comment

Archers will Run any thing they can find
                    Of course. This is Linux. And that makes Mir not distro-specific.

Comment

Distro-specific doesnt mean other distros CANT use it, it means other distros DONT use it. So until another big name distro steps up and says "We support this too, and we will help with maintenance" its distro-specific. Which seems like a chicken-egg problem, because other distros wont use it until its mainlined and it wont be mainlined until other distros use it, but thats kind of the point: if a project wants to make traction the distros need to step up and proactively show "We like this project! We want it to succeed! We will HELP it succeed!"
                      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Working...
                      X