No announcement yet.

Canonical Posts X.Org, Driver Patches For XMir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

in the case of Mir/XMir is nothing more that witchcraft to say since Mir is an actual server like X11ish and the API is too inmature for sure but i guess from what is technically known that XMir will be more invasive to drivers than XWayland and probably less performant, maybe in 6 months would be easier to discern[assuming is actually finished at all ofc]

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
      i have done a lot of DE work in the pasted given you dont have to use Compiz to make a DE look use like Unity and QT has full support for Wayland so if needed you can change maybe 300 to 2k lines of code to make it work on Wayland i forgot who did it but some one taken Gnome 3 and made a Unity looking DE out of it and just a few days
      Well sure, you can take pretty much any configurable DE that has some sort of dock, and configure it to behave like Unity, more or less - but then we're no longer talking about porting Unity to Wayland, we're talking about emulating the UI on an entirely different DE, and it's not the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
        well wayland is a close to the hardware as you can get without using TGSI or GPU ASM so basically there is no need at all and in the case of XWayland you can probably still use existing methods with a simpleish bypass or simply use your favorite languages like OpenVG, OpenGL, OpenGL ES 1,2,3, Pixman, Cairo, etc.

the point is Wayland is not a Process/Server like Mir is a simple protocol library that actually do nothing except give you a language to initialize the GPU to a workable state after that you can basically manipulate the GPU as you wish with no middleman, so in theory intel could use SNA with XWayland directly like with Xorg.

my only doubt is if Xorg itself allows so and if both Xorg and Wayland can access the GPU in parallel without sync issue, it shouldn't be a problem in theory since XWayland will be rootless but still maybe someone closer to XWayland and Xorg can provide a more deep insight
        What I meant is if there is an API that is close to hardware and does the kind of operations X.org did before, but to use without X.org (so you can use it with Wayland and Mir); I'm aware Wayland does few aside of buffer management. But I already read a bit on OpenVG, and seems to do this kind of basic operation.

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
          What I meant is if there is an API that is close to hardware and does the kind of operations X.org did before, but to use without X.org (so you can use it with Wayland and Mir); I'm aware Wayland does few aside of buffer management. But I already read a bit on OpenVG, and seems to do this kind of basic operation.
          as an official replace nope, Xorg acceleration is basically XRender and other extension using GPU specific path to provide accel and kinda unique to X, the closest would be Opengl since OpenVG is more for vectorial graphics. in the case of XWayland is very likely the normal Xorg accel paths[UXA, EXA, SNA] keep working hence no need of translation layer even Glamor should do.

For Mir no one knows how will handle things or if they would need a full translation

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
            i don't get how they're saying any thing is "stable" when it's not even Developed....
            ditto

Originally posted by synaptix View Post
            Wayland is for the entire Linux community, 100% progression for Linux. Almost all of the major distros (except Ubuntu) and DE's support Wayland.

Mir is for Ubuntu/Unity, fragmentation and reverse progression for Linux. The only ones supporting Mir is Canonical.
            ding ding ding, this sums up the thread, key word: fragmentation, what Canonical is good at, I too hope this crap gets rejected, to hell with Canonical.

Comment

Still no reply to these patches. Canonical looks like the unpopular kid at school nobody wants to play with.

Comment

The answers were on IRC (#dri-devel).

There is a log, you can look at it.

EDIT: http://people.freedesktop.org/~cbril...ate=2013-07-22
                look at RAOF.

There may be other channels where they have discussed of it.
                Last edited by mannerov; 24 July 2013, 05:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X