• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice to see the KDE and Kubuntu people sticking to their guns

Comment

KDE

Originally posted by prodigy_ View Post
      One shouldn't put anything related to KDE and the word "stable" in the same sentence.
      Hi!

I just wanted to say that KDE and Kubuntu work in a stable way in two computers that I manage, virtual machines, computers of some of my friends and two computers that manages an acquaintance of mine. Those are the places where I have directly seen KDE and Kubuntu working.

There's a "Virtual machine of Kubuntu 11.04 i386 Desktop, stable version" on

to conduct experiments on it.

I usually also employed a copy of it as a virtual machine and it works stably.

Using a virtual machine, we avoid the problems of drivers that need development, driver developments that need funding, companies that hide details of their hardware and so it hinders driver developments, etc.

About it, there is a README.txt on the same web address.

If you have any doubt, on this thread you can make questions. Greetings!

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
        Kubuntu has to few Developers to do a lot i say it's just best for them to use Ubuntu's Base for now and wait and see if Debian picks it up a little bit or even use openSUSE
        You make no sense. Joining another existing distro project (I gave 3 examples) and shut down Kubuntu would mean less work for them.

Comment

Originally posted by enfocomp View Post
          Looks like we're going to have a fully working desktop using Wayland before the year 2046. I guess I owe my friend a beer!
          They can't guarantee their Ubuntu base OS will even ship a working copy of Wayland. The patches to other components required for Mir may just as well break Wayland support.

Comment

Without straying off-topic, it's great to see that we won't be limited to the feature incomplete Weston and Hawaii (Maui OS) compositors for long.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
              Only stupid people use strawman arguments.
              If you are trying to argue he's wrong by saying this, you've neatly created your own strawman argument.

Comment

Originally posted by boast View Post
                If you don't use KDE, you don't support the FOSS community
                ...because a crappy and incredibly ugly DE based on a half-proprietary toolkit is just what FOSS needs.

Comment

Originally posted by prodigy_ View Post
                  ...because a crappy and incredibly ugly DE based on a half-proprietary toolkit is just what FOSS needs.
                  Ugly? The DE is the most customizable thing available. If you don't like it, theme it.

Half propriatery? ...You're a troll. A bad one at that because this topic has been discussed to death.
                  All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
                    Kubuntu has to few Developers to do a lot i say it's just best for them to use Ubuntu's Base for now and wait and see if Debian picks it up a little bit or even use openSUSE
                    That's basically the Kubuntu problem, yeah. For the most part, they're not developers - they're packagers, and their talents are in creating a KDE-oriented version of Ubuntu. What they *can't* do is take on the burden of porting KDE to Mir themselves. That's a big job, and one that requires solid development skills, and one only made harder by the disinterest upstream-KDE have towards Mir.

Comment

Originally posted by intellivision View Post
                      Without straying off-topic, it's great to see that we won't be limited to the feature incomplete Weston and Hawaii (Maui OS) compositors for long.
                      Weston was never intended to be an end-user desktop... more a proof of concept, a reference implementation for others to copy from.

Comment

Working...
                      X