30% performance boost by manually installing (proprietary)driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30% performance boost by manually installing (proprietary)driver

I got an interesting tip from a friend to manually install my nvidia driver instead of using the ones that come with my distribution.(In fact, I actually used the xorg-edgers driver for this test just to get equivalent versions)

After a few runs of the unigine valley benchmark on "Extreme HD" settings, I averaged 20.6 FPS.
    I manually installed the 319.32 drivers from the Nvidia download, and then ran the benchmark again. I got a 26.8 FPS average, a ~30% increase.

I thought this was an interesting(probably well known, but unknown to me) tidbit. Has anyone else seen similar performance increases by manually installing their drivers?

edit:
    probably worth mentioning I use a GTX-660.
    Last edited by peppercats; 21 July 2013, 09:55 PM.

I too also experience better performance from my GPU when I manually install with .run over using xorg-edgers.

Game A running with xorg-edgers = 24FPS

Game A running with nvidia .run from website = 46FPS

Same game, same settings, same graphics settings, same exact spot in the game.

This is with a pretty old GPU as well.

Comment

Wait... what? How is this possible?

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
        Wait... what? How is this possible?

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
          I got an interesting tip from a friend to manually install my nvidia driver instead of using the ones that come with my distribution.(In fact, I actually used the xorg-edgers driver for this test just to get equivalent versions)

After a few runs of the unigine valley benchmark on "Extreme HD" settings, I averaged 20.6 FPS.
          I manually installed the 319.32 drivers from the Nvidia download, and then ran the benchmark again. I got a 26.8 FPS average, a ~30% increase.

I thought this was an interesting(probably well known, but unknown to me) tidbit. Has anyone else seen similar performance increases by manually installing their drivers?

edit:
          probably worth mentioning I use a GTX-660.
          I use an amd card and all I can say no.

hd5750

Comment

I'd like to see some benchmarks via the Phoronix Test Suite rather than just off hand statistics. I'm calling bologna.

Comment

Originally posted by Gps4l View Post
              I use an amd card and all I can say no.

hd5750
              Er, how is that related to the discussion?
              Originally posted by computerquip View Post
              I'd like to see some benchmarks via the Phoronix Test Suite rather than just off hand statistics. I'm calling bologna.
              I'd like to see it too, I saw it based on personal experience only and I'm too lazy to run benchmarks on my own.

Comment

Bologna.... mmmm deep fried bologna..... mmmmm twinkies

EDIT: Sorry I just love deep frying things. mmmmm deep fried bacon.... mmmmm waffle batter....
                Last edited by duby229; 23 July 2013, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Sounds like a packaging bug. This should be reported to Ubuntu's bug tracker.

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
                    Er, how is that related to the discussion?
                    He asked if anybody else noticed a difference by manual installing the closed source drivers.
                    He did not use the word nvidia in that sentence.

Feel free to ignore my reply, if you're only interested in nvidia though.

Comment

Working...
                    X