Two Hacks For The NVIDIA Linux Graphics Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by unix_epoch View Post
    What monitors are you using? Is there a list of monitors that will accept high-rate signals at high resolution? Ever since I switched from CRTs to LCDs, I've longed for refresh rates greater than 60Hz at maximum resolution. I really miss running at 120-150Hz on a CRT.
    While there's no 1440p monitor that will advertise support for 120Hz, since it's way outside of the DVI spec, there are a few monitors that have been found capable of overclocking that high. I'd suggest looking around on the 120hz.net forums for such a list. Keep in mind, however, that like all overclocking, it's a matter of luck: If you buy such a monitor, there's no guarantee that it'll handle 120Hz with no problems.

Personally, I use a pair of QNIX QX2710's. They're nice, fairly cheap monitors and I'm able to do 120Hz on them pretty well, with only two drawbacks: One of them tends to buzz when displaying certain images at 120Hz (doesn't happen at 60Hz), which is fixable, but I'll have to disassemble the monitor fix it. The other drawback is that they have a slight image persistence problem at 120Hz.

Also, I have a friend with a Yamakasi Catleap Q270 2B (the 2C will not handle 120Hz) and he says it works pretty great.

We both bought ours through eBay user green-sum. He's friendly and ships fast.

Comment

I want moar framez.
      Why? If you have a 60hz LCD it is only able to show 60fps (so he skips anything above anyway). So your only "benefit" is more work for the GPU -> more power consumption and shorter life time.

Comment

What monitors are you using? Is there a list of monitors that will accept high-rate signals at high resolution? Ever since I switched from CRTs to LCDs, I've longed for refresh rates greater than 60Hz at maximum resolution. I really miss running at 120-150Hz on a CRT.
        While there's no 1440p monitor that will advertise support for 120Hz, since it's way outside of the DVI spec, there are a few monitors that have been found capable of overclocking that high. I'd suggest looking around on the 120hz.net forums for such a list. Keep in mind, however, that like all overclocking, it's a matter of luck: If you buy such a monitor, there's no guarantee that it'll handle 120Hz with no problems.

Personally, I use a pair of QNIX QX2710's. They're nice, fairly cheap monitors and I'm able to do 120Hz on them pretty well, with only two drawbacks: One of them tends to buzz when displaying certain images at 120Hz (doesn't happen at 60Hz), which is fixable, but I'll have to disassemble the monitor fix it. The other drawback is that they have a slight image persistence problem at 120Hz.

Also, I have a friend with a Yamakasi Catleap Q270 2B (the 2C will not handle 120Hz) and he says it works pretty great.

We both bought ours through eBay user green-sum. He's friendly and ships fast.

(As an FYI, both monitors I mentioned have incorrect EDID checksums, for some reason - you'll have to configure your display server to ignore that or the monitor will not be detected correctly.)

Comment

Finally! I was so jealous windows users were getting 120hz at 1440p and I was stuck at 96hz due to this limit

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
            Refresh rates on LCDs are a bit different. The duty cycle is a lot different. If you are familiar with square waves you'll know what I'm talking about. Each pixel is "lit" for a longer portion of the cycle than an old CRT would be. As such the refresh rate on LCDs is less important or rather it is equivalent to a higher rate.
            I am pretty sure that the pixels of LCD monitors remain "lit" continuously without regard to the refresh rate of the signal. This is, in my opinion, what makes them so much better than CRTs and plasmas because they never flicker, even at "low" refresh rates like 60hz.

Comment

A tricky way to enable the Quadro OpenGL code is still missing fglrx has the same artificial limitation, it can be patched in a very simple way but in my benchmarks there was no diff for games just for specviewperf and i dont use any tool that is simulated with it. Basically radeon could enable all FireGL features on standard Radeon hardware as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                A tricky way to enable the Quadro OpenGL code is still missing fglrx has the same artificial limitation, it can be patched in a very simple way but in my benchmarks there was no diff for games just for specviewperf and i dont use any tool that is simulated with it. Basically radeon could enable all FireGL features on standard Radeon hardware as well.
                680 and Titan can be hardware-modded into Quadros, its all about soldering a few resistors.

But the problem is that Nvidia does not want that. It does not want modding, it does not want overclocking, it does not want these features to be turned on geforce or "pseudo-"quadro.

The root of the problem is Nvidia's greed. It wants you to pay four digit amount to have it. For example, the very same GPUs are powering Tesla and Quadro; each sell profits Nvidia with tenfold-hunderd fold income (card cost, insurance cost, replacement guarantee cost; ie check Nvidia's Amazon deal) compared to under 200$ customer GPU.
                In case of geforce, the GPU is produced at rates that are nearly equal to production cost. Nvidia does not want you to burn their GPU, but it does want you to prefer its GPU to that of concurrence, for sake of marketshare only.
                This is idiotic beyond scope, once you understand this you would hardly ever purchase Nvidia.
                Last edited by brosis; 22 July 2013, 06:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
                  680 and Titan can be hardware-modded into Quadros, its all about soldering a few resistors.
                  As the Linux PCI subsystem is completely open source, one could always patch it to report the PCI ID of a Quadro whenever it detects a GeForce. Wouldn't that be enough to fool the driver into thinking it's a Quadro without needing to get out the soldering iron, or is there more to it than that?

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post

But the problem is that Nvidia does not want that. It does not want modding, it does not want overclocking, it does not want these features to be turned on geforce or "pseudo-"quadro.

The root of the problem is Nvidia's greed. It wants you to pay four digit amount to have it. For example, the very same GPUs are powering Tesla and Quadro; each sell profits Nvidia with tenfold-hunderd fold income (card cost, insurance cost, replacement guarantee cost; ie check Nvidia's Amazon deal) compared to under 200$ customer GPU.
                    In case of geforce, the GPU is produced at rates that are nearly equal to production cost. Nvidia does not want you to burn their GPU, but it does want you to prefer its GPU to that of concurrence, for sake of marketshare only.
                    This is idiotic beyond scope, once you understand this you would hardly ever purchase Nvidia.
                    Meanwhile: people complain about AMD's drivers and FOSS in general.

Comment

In the case that nvidia works similar to amd then the chip reports that it is a workstation chip, it has nothing to do with the pci id. the id does not change. but you can fake the result

Comment

Working...
                      X