No announcement yet.

Razor & LXDE-Qt Desktop Projects To Merge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While LXDE is a great environment I still find Xfce much more feature complete and customizable enough to make it work on your own style which makes things faster. I love Xfce panels but LXDE is catching up on this also.

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
      Sure, but I think that counts. I doubt there are many lines of code in current Gnome or KDE releases that date back to their first releases either, even if they've never done big-bang rewrites.
      IMO there's a difference between a project whose code evolved gradually over the years and one that threw away every single line to start from scratch.
      I'm more informed about the KDE side than Gnome but there actually quite some bits and pieces that lasted over the years ? code in KWin talking directly to X11 and the session startup script are two frequently cited examples by KDE devs.

Now personally, I don't actually like the XFCE desktop much... it's never really suited me. But you've got to give them credit - they don't get the recognition of the bigger desktops, but they've endured and thrived over a long period of time...
      IMO Xfce has always just been a cheap knock-off of something else. Up to 3.x it was a CDE clone and 4.0 started to clone Gnome 2.x.

Comment

Originally posted by beaverusiv View Post
        I would say it is fragmentation of resources (developer time, etc). I'm all for choice, but when there is too much and too little differentiation you hurt the community by splitting what are very similar groups smaller than they need to be.

Just a general statement, I barely play with different DEs.
        People who care about one project, work on that project because they care about that project. If that project were to somehow disappear, it's not certain at all that the people would then contribute their time to the competing project. It doesn't really matter how many desktops there are, they wouldn't exist if there wasn't at least some kind of user base for them, a group of people who find it suitable for their needs.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
          People who care about one project, work on that project because they care about that project. If that project were to somehow disappear, it's not certain at all that the people would then contribute their time to the competing project. It doesn't really matter how many desktops there are, they wouldn't exist if there wasn't at least some kind of user base for them, a group of people who find it suitable for their needs.
          Exactly, you can not tell someone what to work on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
            Exactly, you can not tell someone what to work on.
            But when they voluntarily join forces, good things usually result.

Comment

Lets hope they never plan to use PIM and Akonadi horrors fromKDE project.

World needs pure QT slim, fast, easy, full featured desktop.

Comment

Now personally, I don't actually like the XFCE desktop much... it's never really suited me. But you've got to give them credit - they don't get the recognition of the bigger desktops, but they've endured and thrived over a long period of time...
                I've found that perception of a DE can be different and change depending on circumstances and experiences.
                I used to think XFCE was half-assed and redundant, because you can always use Gnome 2 instead - and when LXDE was available, it was (unscientific numbers) 2x smaller/faster than XFCE.

I thought that XFCE was the worst of both worlds. Then I ended up fed up with Mate (Gnome 2's new name), my top panel looked really ugly and a couple issues. LXDE has stagnated too much (some slight uglyness, still no right-clicking to create a shorcut instead a shortcut is a sysadmin task) though it gained more panel applets and the file manager got even better (while largely looking and acting the same)

Now I think XFCE is the best of both worlds (though tabs in the file manager are still in a future version, 4.12) with some qualities of LXDE (lack of a registry, similar way of working with the panels) and Gnome 2/Mate (like Alt-F9/Alt-F10 by default, ability to create shortcuts in panels and start menu, ability to edit the menu without additional software).
                I miss LXDE's ctrl-esc to open the menu, and I still use lxterminal lol.

Happy with the LXDE/Razor/Qt move, the environment gets long term security (Qt 5.x will be a living thing for a decade I guess), differentiation and Qt is more present on mobile stuff.
                I guess it will work on Mir by the way ; the rationale is Mir can use Android drivers. GNU/linux + Mir + LXDE-Qt seems like something you would want to run on those cheapo knock-off ersatz computers that look like a USB drive and come with Android.
                I don't want to do a flamewar about Mir vs Wayland vs X11 ; maybe it can support everything? (it's not like it needs to implement animations and other useless features anyway)

Comment

Originally posted by grok View Post
                  I thought that XFCE was the worst of both worlds.
                  While we're at spelling: It's Xfce :-p

I guess it will work on Mir by the way ; the rationale is Mir can use Android drivers.
                  Wayland can also use Android drivers:

As you can read, Canonical even uses the same library for Android compatibility in Mir.

Comment

I guess it will work on Mir by the way ; the rationale is Mir can use Android drivers. GNU/linux + Mir + LXDE-Qt seems like something you would want to run on those cheapo knock-off ersatz computers that look like a USB drive and come with Android.
                    I don't want to do a flamewar about Mir vs Wayland vs X11 ; maybe it can support everything? (it's not like it needs to implement animations and other useless features anyway)
                    Probably not, at least on the near future. Why? Because this projects don't work on the window manager/compositor/whatever Mir uses side, but simply attach anything you want to use. For it to be used on X, you usually use Openbox (though there are other lightweight WMs to use), for it to be used on Wayland, a compositor is needed, and one will probably appear at some point, but for Mir, well, I don't see much interest on making any desktop for Mir aside from Unity, and if you are going to use its compositor, there is no point on using LXDE, just go with full Unity, since it will not be really lightweight anyway.
                    As for the parts actually implemented by LXDE, yeah, they're likely to work, since Canonical said they'll port Qt.

Comment

Alright, I thought Mir was mostly about the same things as Wayland but it's more involved.
                      Didn't know the "compatibility layer" or whatever it is for Android drivers ran on Wayland too!

And yes I guess you'll be able to run pcmanfm-Qt on Unity Qt, if only you find yourself on that machine and want to quickly install that file manager without messing anything up. Some people run pcmanfm GTK2 on heavy desktops.
                      I fondly remember a fluxbox + pcmanfm machine too (a public music player PC)

Running LXDE with xfwm4 (Xfce's window manager) can be an option, for minor reasons.
                      LXDE's on-going GTK2 support can be good for stuff like that, or reversely using Xfce with LXDE's file manager.
                      Lots of freedom and.. everything plays nice!
                      I was fed up at Mate for ignoring my command to change the default file manager (despite finding what seemed to be the right thing in the "registry"), and then after settling on using a few shortcuts, being unable to remove "Places" in "Applications Places System".

Comment

Working...
                      X