Razor & LXDE-Qt Desktop Projects To Merge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    It's about damn time 2 DE groups join. This will really help reduce fragmentation,
    What fragmentation? The idea that many DE's causes "fragmentation" is just plain wrong. Fragmentation in the context of DE's is nothing but a buzzword term that is used incorrectly - kind of like how ignorant people have started using "FUD" as a synonym for "anything I disagree with".

If each of these DE's were completely incompatible with each other, so that you couldn't run software designed for one in another, that could actually be called "fragmentation" - but this isn't the case.

Comment

This may make LXDE worthwile. Will monitor this with interest.

Comment

XFCE and MATE should merge as well.

Comment

Originally posted by teahopper View Post
          Am I allowed to say, "Hellz to the naw!"?

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
            What fragmentation? The idea that many DE's causes "fragmentation" is just plain wrong. Fragmentation in the context of DE's is nothing but a buzzword term that is used incorrectly - kind of like how ignorant people have started using "FUD" as a synonym for "anything I disagree with".

If each of these DE's were completely incompatible with each other, so that you couldn't run software designed for one in another, that could actually be called "fragmentation" - but this isn't the case.
            I would say it is fragmentation of resources (developer time, etc). I'm all for choice, but when there is too much and too little differentiation you hurt the community by splitting what are very similar groups smaller than they need to be.

Just a general statement, I barely play with different DEs.

Comment

Originally posted by teahopper View Post
              That would be silly. MATE is a half-assed attempt to keep Gnome 2 alive, with an over-complex code-base that was abandoned by it's original developers. Whereas XFCE is a well-established project in their own right - it's actually been around longer than both Gnome and KDE.

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
                Whereas XFCE is a well-established project in their own right - it's actually been around longer than both Gnome and KDE.
                Source? Both KDE and XFCE were released in 1996.

Comment

Keeping my eye on this. May end up switching from KDE to LXDE eventually if their combined efforts can create a simpler DE based on Qt/Kwin.
                  I think the name should have been "Razor-LXDE" or "LX-Rasor" or something along those lines. Has a better ring to it, and it's "fresh" (a newer buzz word).

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
                    XFCE is a well-established project in their own right - it's actually been around longer than both Gnome and KDE.
                    ?In March 1999 Fourdan began a complete rewrite of the project based on GTK+?

So yes, the Xfce name is used for longer than Gnome but today's project is younger than Gnome.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                      ?In March 1999 Fourdan began a complete rewrite of the project based on GTK+?

So yes, the Xfce name is used for longer than Gnome but today's project is younger than Gnome.
                      Sure, but I think that counts. I doubt there are many lines of code in current Gnome or KDE releases that date back to their first releases either, even if they've never done big-bang rewrites.

Now personally, I don't actually like the XFCE desktop much... it's never really suited me. But you've got to give them credit - they don't get the recognition of the bigger desktops, but they've endured and thrived over a long period of time...

Comment

Working...
                      X