Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Razor & LXDE-Qt Desktop Projects To Merge

Phoronix: Razor & LXDE-Qt Desktop Projects To Merge

Developers behind the lightweight Qt-based Razor-qt and LXDE-Qt desktops met up at KDE's Akademy 2013 conference. During the annual KDE developer conference, the two lightweight desktops decided to merge their efforts around LXDE-Qt...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's about damn time 2 DE groups join. This will really help reduce fragmentation, especially considering both LXDE and Razor-Qt had similar goals. I really hope the final product won't be called LXDE-Qt. Like really, that's a pretty dumb name, especially when you consider it'll be wayland compatible and at some day, possibly mir compatible. I'd be ok with them sticking with the Razor name.

Comment

Or the LXDE name, which is the most likely since it has a lot more backing behind it. Still, with the direction LXDE has decided to go this is definitely the best option for both parties involved in the merger.

Comment

well this wasn't called when LXDE-qt was announced, or anything

Comment

This is beginning to look quite interesting! Thus far i've not been a user of LXDE-Qt or Razer, but those two merging with a goal of lean and fast is beginning to look very appealing! Certainly something to monitor and see where they end up.

Comment

Personally, I found LXDE a usability nightmare ? mostly because of its broken .desktop file parser.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
              Personally, I found LXDE a usability nightmare ? mostly because of its broken .desktop file parser.
              I didn't think it was that bad. If you just cut down the .desktop files to the bare minimum attributes and edit them by hand, its not so bad. I personally like LXDE because it doesn't really force you to use anything, so it's pretty easy to tweak it exactly as you like.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                If you just cut down the .desktop files to the bare minimum attributes and edit them by hand, its not so bad.
                The error message I got was 'File " " could not be found' or something like that with the empty string between the quotation marks as my personal usability highlight.
                BTW: LXDE's .desktop parser does neither mandate the .desktop file extension, nor does it mandate the Executable attribute, causing a grave security risk roughly equal to the .pif epidemic from a few years ago on Windows.

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                I personally like LXDE because it doesn't really force you to use anything, so it's pretty easy to tweak it exactly as you like.
                That's the case with every modern DE. Some packagers may just be too stupid.

Anyway: I hope with the added manpower from the Razor team that the merged product will be a lot better.

Comment

That's really awesome news. I use Razor-qt on a netbook (which I just migrated from Mageia to Gentoo to get a bit of a speed boost), so this is some really relevant news. Both projects joining forces should help a whole lot. Also, if LXDE-qt is the new direction of LXDE, that's even better news: this move just eliminated 2 rather redundant DEs (LXDE, LXDE-qt, Razor-qt -> LXDE-qt) and made LXDE differentiate from XFCE.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                    That's really awesome news. I use Razor-qt on a netbook (which I just migrated from Mageia to Gentoo to get a bit of a speed boost), so this is some really relevant news. Both projects joining forces should help a whole lot. Also, if LXDE-qt is the new direction of LXDE, that's even better news: this move just eliminated 2 rather redundant DEs (LXDE, LXDE-qt, Razor-qt -> LXDE-qt) and made LXDE differentiate from XFCE.
                    I completely agree, although I didn't find XFCE to be all that comparable to LXDE anyway. They both have names that are/will be obsolete, they're both GTK2 focused, and they're both on the light-weight side, but XFCE is considerably heavier than people think. XFCE has a noticeable performance hit on low-end devices compared to LXDE. I do, however, feel that XFCE makes a much better general-purpose DE. I wish it had more developers because I think it could easily be the best DE if it just got a little more attention.

Comment

Working...
                    X