Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So where the hell is Deanjo?

Hey guys,

Just a quick update as there where the hell I've been at. This year I have been dealing with flooding on my farm and it's been occupying a lot of my time. The mad rush is on to get berms, road and a driveway into the farmyard. Lots of red tape to deal with to get these items done. I tried through out most of winter to get things in preparation for the abnormal amount of snowfall that we had this winter but nothing could prepare me for this years run off. The main problem is that the water table is literally just a foot or two below the ground surface and the massive amount of rainfall and snow melt had no place to go. Good news is that the gov't has declared it a disaster zone and as such is eligible for some emergency relief funds (building roads and berms is bloody expensive). Anyways that's the update, I have some older pictures (not a flikr expert so I don't know if I have the settings right) but here are some pics. All the water you see was not there last year and is in places 40 feet deep now.

Explore Dean Hilkewich’s 124 photos on Flickr!

Deanjo

"Holy crap" doesn't seem adequate.

I don't think anybody here will complain about your priorities - I'd be more worried if moderating phoronix took priority!

You have my best wishes. If there's anything more tangible that we can do, please let us know.

Comment

Have you given a thought about building a channel drainage system in your farm? At least most of german commercial fields use them. Of course it will cost something for a start, and then there are maintaince costs, but the ground will never risk to turn to swamp, regardless of water level.. Just set a pump with storage at other end or lead it into nearest river; evaporation area, also possible.

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
        Have you given a thought about building a channel drainage system in your farm? At least most of german commercial fields use them. Of course it will cost something for a start, and then there are maintaince costs, but the ground will never risk to turn to swamp, regardless of water level.. Just set a pump with storage at other end or lead it into nearest river; evaporation area, also possible.
        Unfortunately water does not drain uphill. My farm is located in the middle of a natural aquifer valley. The engineers were looking at the possibility of setting up a pump station and running a line to the river which is about 7 miles away but it is cost prohibitive (estimated 10 million).

On the plus side, I can fish for pickerel (otherwise known as walleye) and perch from the doors of my farm shop.
        Last edited by deanjo; 21 July 2013, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Well if there are fish in the water then that means the volume of water is connected to some natural stream or lake or pond or something. If thats the case then you should be able to pump out to that.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
            Well if there are fish in the water then that means the volume of water is connected to some natural stream or lake or pond or something. If thats the case then you should be able to pump out to that.
            It is now connected to a lake which is is also way above normal levels. Trying to pump into it would have the same result as trying to bail out a bathtub by dumping the water back in.

Comment

I think trying to pump into it would have the same result as trying to bail out a bathtub by dumping the water back in would be a nice option to go with.

Comment

Working...
              X