Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HipHop Virtual Machine 2.1 Is Even Faster

Phoronix: HipHop Virtual Machine 2.1 Is Even Faster

Facebook's HipHop VM (HHVM) did a new release last week and now it's even faster! HHVM 2.1 also supports more language functionality...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hope they not only improve performance but can also fix some issues.

Comment

Wow, it seems that hip-hop is closing more the speed gap between compiled languages like C/C++ and PHP, so cool!

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

http://phpsadness.com/
        Yeah, I'll never quite fully agree with all the effort being put into making PHP faster or JavaScript (http://wtfjs.com). I mean, I get that they're popular and hence low-hanging fruit for improving the speed of a large number of apps, but at some point you wish they'd just let them languish and die and be replaced by something else.

For what it's worth, I'm really digging TypeScript (yeah, yeah, Microsoft research project, it's fully Open Source though and aimed at being compatible with upstream ES6 and not proprietary, better for the community in many ways than Google's Dart, really); compatible with every browser and NodeJS, a future compiler could be stricter and remove type guards in the JIT'd code, and once they get the async/await thing from C# added to it it will be damn _pleasant_ to write network code again (for those who don't know, that's basically one way to remove the ridiculous nested functon callback hell that JavaScript and many other languages require today).

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

http://phpsadness.com/
          Also as follow-up, having just had another look at that link for the first time in a while, this "sadness" is just silly, as are a few others. Who the hell expects static to mean what he thought it would mean? It doesn't in any other language, why would it in PHP? The only sadness I have there is that they copied an awful C feature instead of leaving it out entirely.

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
            Also as follow-up, having just had another look at that link for the first time in a while, this "sadness" is just silly, as are a few others. Who the hell expects static to mean what he thought it would mean? It doesn't in any other language, why would it in PHP? The only sadness I have there is that they copied an awful C feature instead of leaving it out entirely.
            The list on that page was much larger before, but with each new php version many of those items have been addressed leaving just the dumbs one in place.

Comment

Working...
            X