Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 51

Thread: Ubuntu Edge: The First Ubuntu Smartphone Next Week?

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 89c51 View Post
    Let me guess. You walk around town with a tin foil hat.



    BTW The renderings look better (aesthetic wise) from what we've seen from jolla thus far.
    Well to be fair is actually finished and looking for partners, so basically they showed quite a regular brick for developers.

    I expect phones from good brands to improve the look of the hardware later, maybe ZTE will adopt it first like firefox OS.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by curaga View Post
    While on the topic of must-have phone features, gotta post my list too

    * preferably no GPS nor NFC; if there, there must be a failsafe way to cut power to them, such as a physical switch
    +1!
    and cameras and the microphone too!

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Siuoq View Post
    +1!
    and cameras and the microphone too!
    and no screen, so other people can't see what you're doing

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,287

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by curaga View Post
    * battery life: 1 week minimum of normal use, preferably 3-4 weeks
    Does any phone achieve that? I can't get more than a week even with my Nokia 1100, and most of my friend's smartphones need to be charged everyday.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheOne View Post
    The best thing of Ubuntu Touch is that you will be able to develop applications using C++ instead of shitty slow Java and C# or shitty Objective-C syntax. Also they have said that it will support HTML5 applications as first class citizens so mix that with Firefox OS and you will have 2 great open platforms, so develop once deploy on various devices.

    In any case since Ubuntu Touch major components are going to be native I guess that even a dual core will feel smooth.
    I believe you can do that with Android. I'm not 100% sure, though.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    835

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrugiero View Post
    I believe you can do that with Android. I'm not 100% sure, though.
    you can, and my understanding is that most of the games for android do that, you just need to use the NDK directly or write it using Qt.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Siuoq View Post
    +1!and cameras and the microphone too!
    No one is going to take you and Curaga seriously. I'm an advocate for privacy but I can simply put a sticker or drop of exterior house paint on the glass lens to block the viewer. I can switch off the features I don't want to have enabled. If I was seriously worried I could probably scratch circuit tracks to stop features working, or place the phone in a metal box to stop communication back to NSA if concerned.

    For Ubuntu to make their phone successful it's going to have to be cheap and 'super' feature rich else people will simple buy a Google phone like the coming Moto X which will probably sell for $299-$399. Other words Canonical is not going to cripple their prospects with a disabled phone unless they are completely bonkers.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by boast View Post
    and no screen, so other people can't see what you're doing
    Funny... I'm sick of people wanting the to hold back Linux with the likes of stopping PulseAudio or demonising Mir.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrugiero View Post
    I believe you can do that with Android. I'm not 100% sure, though.
    Well, you can. However it's still runt using Dalvik so it's basically just another syntax for Java.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    480

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pajn View Post
    Well, you can. However it's still runt using Dalvik so it's basically just another syntax for Java.
    Source?
    I would love to see that C/C++ to Dalvik bytecode compiler.
    That would finally remove the need to recompile the NDK part of an android app for every cpu architecture it should run on ;-)

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by e8hffff View Post
    No one is going to take you and Curaga seriously. I'm an advocate for privacy but I can simply put a sticker or drop of exterior house paint on the glass lens to block the viewer. I can switch off the features I don't want to have enabled. If I was seriously worried I could probably scratch circuit tracks to stop features working, or place the phone in a metal box to stop communication back to NSA if concerned.

    For Ubuntu to make their phone successful it's going to have to be cheap and 'super' feature rich else people will simple buy a Google phone like the coming Moto X which will probably sell for $299-$399. Other words Canonical is not going to cripple their prospects with a disabled phone unless they are completely bonkers.
    The ubuntu phone has a feature that is really interesting from my POV. The ability to connect it to a screen and fire up a full DE.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •