Canonical Posts 15 Mesa Patches To Support Mir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnc View Post
    Are you talking about Hyper-V stuff again?
    thats MS + MS has some opensource projects i can't remember the names or the site but they like to keep it on lock down and most all of apples base is opensource

Comment

Originally posted by alexThunder View Post
      Will their contributions help us, to get rid of them?
      your Ubuntu OS is using parts of Apples work why remove them

Comment

Ok, LinuxGamer. So let's screw Ubuntu and wait until Apple and MS improved the Linux World so far, that everyone switches to Arch and dumps their proprietary Software.

Can't wait to see that happen.

Comment

Circlejerk

When I read Michael Larabel's posts, I see his efforts to stir up controversy and get the anti-ubuntu crowd to start yapping in the forums.

Such as that no comment was sent yet to the mailing list about the patches (takes time to comment), that the next Mesa release will sadly take place after 13.10, etc.

Michael, is your business model to stir up controversy so that you get more visits/clicks from the anti-ubuntu crowd? H-Open sadly is no more, but they left with their integrity intact.

Comment

Ok, LinuxGamer. So let's screw Ubuntu and wait until Apple and MS improved Linux so far, that everyone switches to Arch and dumps their proprietary Software.

Can't wait to see that happen.
            na we just dont need Ubuntu it's just a fork of Debian Unstabe and Ubuntu has improved Linux like Android did, oh wait
            Arch has proprietary software in its repo?....

so maybe i had i little bit to drink so what you dont have to get so mad its the internet

o , ,
            o /( )`
            o \ \___ / |
            o /- _ `-/ '
            o (/\/ \ \ /\
            o / / | ` \
            o O O ) / |
            o `-^--'`< '
            .--. (_.) _ ) /
            |o_o | `.___/` /
            |:_/ | `-----' /
            //<- \ \----. __ / __ \
            (| <- | )---|====O)))==) \) /====
            /'\ <- _/`\---' `--' `.__,' \
            \___)=(___/ | |
            \ /
            ______( (_ / \______
            ,' ,-----' | \
            `--{__________) \/

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
              Nope the Linux Community helpped Ubuntu and mark used his cash to pay off developers to get them using Ubuntu and his cash for PR and more cash to say hey come Develop Ubuntu see all the green now we have this out of tree thing called Ubuntu and some new Vaperware called Mir

do you work for Canonical Ubuntu is one of the most lame Linux's for the endusers? you want Tumbleweed or Arch Linux for End Users

Do you have any proof for such accusations?

Did you checked ubuntu 13.10 on radeon/nouveau/intel drivers recently?

Did you read any Mir related articles on Phoronix recently?

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
                so maybe i had i little bit to drink so what you dont have to get so mad its the internet
                A little bit to drink? Dude it's 11:30am on the East Coast.

Comment

Originally posted by synaptix View Post
                  I hope the Mesa team rejects the patches.

Canonical gave a big fuck you to the Linux community for going with their own inhouse display server which causes fragmentation.

Mesa should give a big fuck you to Canonical by rejecting their Mir patches.

Sorry Canonical, but Wayland is the future.
                  I hope the Mesa team is more mature than you are. You sound like an angry little kid.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
                    Not only Mark Shuttleworth couldn't attempt to make money off Debian, his patches would be likely to be rejected. Debian is about a community Free distro, Ubuntu isn't, for the sake of convenience. That's why he forked it.
                    Which doesn't change the fact that it is a hostile fork.

I'm sorry if I couldn't be more clear about what I'm thinking. I actually tried to say the opposite. Canonical started pretty much all of this, it's their fault, that we now have a Canonical vs. Linux Community - situation. Really, I didn't intend to twist that and I'm sorry if that's how my post was perceived. And what you said about the history is not different from what I know about it (again, sorry if I expressed myself somewhat blurry).
                    Ah, that makes sense. (sorry, to misinterpret what you wrote).

So when Debian was forked and Ubuntu was created and growing in popularity, considering and treating them as a "hostile fork" - would that lead to an increase or a decrease of fragmentation? As I said, all this is actually Canonicals fault (or at least the most of it), but the Linux Community did pretty much everything possible, to make it even worse - they could do so very well and still maintain the moral lead, but did that help? Does it now? Will it ever?
                    Considering them a "hostile fork" has nothing to do with an increase/decrease in fragmentation. - it only shows that Ubuntu is/was hostile to the developers/distro they cannot exist without... ~ What would lead to fragmentation is breaking toolchains, etc... And i wholeheartedly disagree that the linux community made things worse (other than maybe for Canonical/Ubuntu, by not accepting patches upstream, etc... which is well within their rights to do so - especially when Canonical tends to produce rubbish code anyway.).

The direction things are going have 2 possible outputs from my point of view:

1) Canonical will be successful, but be fragmented away from the rest of the Linux world.

2) Canonical will fail and Linux (for endusers) will continue to be niche, thus endusers will still be forced to rely on MS or Apple.

I consider both of these possibilities as terrible, but that's where we're heading towards right now.
                    #1 seems to be Canonical's plan, so if you are an Ubuntu-user, #1 is already what you are supporting to some degree <knowingly or not>.

#2 - I do not believe in this scenario. Canonical != Desktop Linux and people need to stop pretending that it is, as "the one and only" taker - it's not. I think you will find that as time progresses, that upstream(s) will continue to improve the stack and there will come to boiling point where most ease of use / user-friendly distros are very competitive with each other (and Ubuntu) and provide a nice OOTB experience for end-users. - the big "end-user" advantages of Ubuntu (as some see them) have slowly been disappearing, as upstream stacks get better.

I really do not think Desktop Linux' success requires Canonical ~ what it does require is an underlying OS that is robust, has tier 1 H/W support, rock solid performance / stability, etc -> which, let's be real here; How much code is Canonical going to write / contribute to make that a reality???

They (probably) deserve all of it.
                    agreed.

Comment

Originally posted by barryr View Post
                      H-Open sadly is no more, but they left with their integrity intact.
                      It's still there, but only in german. There's even an article focusing on Mir:

Alles zum Thema Linux und Open Source - auf heise.de finden Sie die aktuellsten News, hilfreiche Ratgeber und nützliche Tipps

It's way more differentiated than what you'll read on Phoronix, but still critical about Mir. They criticize the decision to push Mir into Ubuntu so early - just as they did with Unity, they also mention the GPL3 + CLA issues and that having Wayland AND Mir around will lead to problems for users, which could have been avoided.

However, they also mention that some of these problems are casued by projects not accepting Canonicals patches and/or ignoring Mir completely (they also say, this is caused by Canonicals behaviour - still these problems will exist because of both sides ignore each other).

The audience also seems to be different from here. Right now, there are two comments rated positively - both of them are defending Ubuntu (the_lou, tanren).

Comment

Working...
                      X