Canonical Posts 15 Mesa Patches To Support Mir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnc View Post
    Android is developed behind closed doors too...
    i 100% hated Android its part of why we have 32bit in 2013 IOS helped too

Comment

Originally posted by synaptix View Post
      I hope the Mesa team rejects the patches.

Canonical gave a big fuck you to the Linux community for going with their own inhouse display server which causes fragmentation.

Mesa should give a big fuck you to Canonical by rejecting their Mir patches.

Sorry Canonical, but Wayland is the future.
      This

Comment

It would be fictitious to pretend that Canonical and Ubuntu are being pushed away by the upstream community. Regardless of the attitude or communication skills, making a new display server complicates things, especially when so many people are introduced to Linux through Ubuntu. So if people prefer, even if only by popularity, something that may only work well on Ubuntu, the rest of us suffer, so it does affect us.

Sure, we will go on using whatever software we deem suitable, and it probably won't be a big deal. But it's just not quite as necessary as Canonical has made it out to be- Wayland is more than flexible enough to run a pared down interface like a phone, and to blend seamlessly between screen sizes. Canonical anticipated that it wouldn't be easy enough to work with the Xorg community on Wayland, so they just forgot to ask.

Of course, if it weren't Canonical, people wouldn't be blowing it so far out of proportion. These things happen, just like with Unity, and it didn't really hurt anyone else. The upstream communities will continue to maintain their direction, and Canonical may occasionally have to patch everything to death. They and their community have the willpower and the vision, so I wish them luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
          Whatever happened to Linux being about choice? If a company wants to create their own display server, what's wrong with that? We should start putting restrictions on what display server you can use in Linux? That surely sounds pretty restrictive.

Mir and Wayland are both the future.

Should we start hating on Google now for not using Xorg or Wayland for Android and instead making their own?
          Linux is about choice, nothing is stopping them from writing their display server. The only thing canonical is not getting is support from the community. What they are trying to do is get rid of the maintenance burden of their mesa patches.
          We are not hating android, however we do call Android 'Android' and not (GNU/)Linux which ubuntu still does markets itself as. There lies the major problem.

Serafean

Comment

Originally posted by timothyja View Post
            The problem is Canonical does not communicate with the community and its only getting worse they stated at the end of last year they will no longer dicuss future projects publicly.
            The reason people are so mad at Canonical about Mir is they said they were going to use Wayland then started development of Mir behind closed doors and then suddenly announced it while saying they needed to use it because Wayland couldnt do certain things, however not once did they talk to the Wayland devs about these missing futures and as it turns out they were not missing at all.
            Yes, that's what I meant, when I said that Canonical started all this. That's not only true for Mir. My point is, that we'd benefit from Canonical being tamed by the Linux Community instead of being ignored (or even fought). The latter is, what may actually lead to fragmentation. From a moral or ethical perspective, the Linux Community may be on the better site, but that alone won't help anyone, if it'll be Ubuntu where the party is at. But maybe Canonical will eventually fail and things will calm down again - but than, I'm afraid, Linux will develop backwards into a niche and we'll again need to rely on Apple or Microsoft, if we want to do anything more than compiling our own kernels.

Originally posted by timothyja View Post
            So not I dont think the same could be said about the Linux community. Canonical has no interest working with others, just look at how much they contribute to upstream projects diddly squat.
            After getting rejected pretty much everytime they did something, this isn't a huge surprise.

Comment

Originally posted by Serafean View Post
              Linux is about choice, nothing is stopping them from writing their display server. The only thing canonical is not getting is support from the community. What they are trying to do is get rid of the maintenance burden of their mesa patches.
              We are not hating android, however we do call Android 'Android' and not (GNU/)Linux which ubuntu still does markets itself as. There lies the major problem.

Serafean
              I would not be surprised if in a few years Ubuntu dropped all references to Linux, much like Apple and Darwin/FreeBSD.

Comment

Originally posted by Serafean View Post

Serafean
                That is naive point of view.

How many FLOSS projects do you participate in?

Its NORM that any company who wish to build something ONTOP of given project, may at some point join in on development on supporting projects. That what Canonical is doing here. JOINING Mesa developemtn effort. In order to further their development of Mir.

There is nowhere here any message about abandoning any patches.

And before you replay more. Mesa code repo is OPEN.

Go find any code Canonical added, and then orphaned (but still relied on it).

Comment

Originally posted by alexThunder View Post
                  While it's true, that Canonical started all this, the same could be said vice versa about the Linux Community ever since Ubuntu started. If we really get fragmentation it's the fault of both not being able to work with each other, but instead blaming and rejecting (although most of the blame and rejections don't come from Canonical).
                  Apparently, you do not know what you are talking about (historically)... Ubuntu was considered a "hostile fork" by it's upstream Debian developers at the time of it's inception. Shuttleworth and friends decided rather than improving Debian to be more user-friendly, they would instead just fork it... So no, it can't be "said vice versa". ~ You also have to remember things like Shuttleworth threatening other distros to rebase on Ubuntu (over debian) or "die" (Mepis)... or the conscious choice to break their toolchain (from debian), etc...

Alex, you obviously do not know your history and do not have a clue about this stuff, to be making such silly comments ~ anyone who was around at the time of Ubuntu's inception knows what you are saying is utter BS. you are trying to twist history to make it seem as though the community caused all of these issues, when in reality ~ you could not be further from the truth...

As for Mir support in Mesa. @MESA devs; just reject Mir Support. At 450 lines of code, there is absolutely no reason that Canonical cannot maintain their Ubuntu-only solution themselves. *450 lines of code is not some huge unmaintainable delta / patchset and could *easily* be done in-house. (I have larger patchsets on larger code-bases, and i seem to do just fine, as an example).

Comment

as long don't affect wayland or xorg...

But the patch #15 should be rejected XD.

Comment

Yes, that's what I meant, when I said that Canonical started all this. That's not only true for Mir. My point is, that we'd benefit from Canonical being tamed by the Linux Community instead of being ignored (or even fought). The latter is, what may actually lead to fragmentation. From a moral or ethical perspective, the Linux Community may be on the better site, but that alone won't help anyone, if it'll be Ubuntu where the party is at. But maybe Canonical will eventually fail and things will calm down again - but than, I'm afraid, Linux will develop backwards into a niche and we'll again need to rely on Apple or Microsoft, if we want to do anything more than compiling our own kernels.
                      Apple and Microsoft do more OpenSource Development then Canonical

After getting rejected pretty much everytime they did something, this isn't a huge surprise.
                      most of Canonical's patch's are shit they Break shit all the time, when i used Ubuntu full time i had to repatch shit Canonical fucked up, so i started downloaded source and, made my own .deb package's at time's, or robbed packages from Debian, (the most eazy way, save's time too) the said part is Ubuntu it getting so far out of tree in a bad way, it may as well be called Android 5.0 or just Android2?.
                      i can say ubuntu has gotten better at some of it then hit a wall on Mir and what is Mir for other then PR Canonical will have to hire maybe 30+ developers just to test and keep up on it's lame ass patch set's for Mir

Comment

Working...
                      X