No announcement yet.

Canonical Posts 15 Mesa Patches To Support Mir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BO$$, you are really a high-level troll. Respect.

Comment

• Originally posted by BO$$
      XMir is just a temporary solution don't you worry. Of course they use things from Wayland. Not everything is crap in there.
      Yes, luckily it's temporary. It's unneeded, too.

Comment

Mark, as always, is head on. Of course they are repeating the same mistakes. They are the same people. Do you really think people learn from their mistakes? No way. They're gonna do the same thing a bit differently, call it something new and basically get stuck with X.org 2.0. It is good that Canonical sees through the clutter and the garbage and calls a spade a spade. Finally somebody not enamored with that damn Wayland!

Realizing that Wayland is doomed, they just thought on doing their own thing. No need to support Wayland or help them in any way since they already were on a path of self destruction. It would have been much harder to set them straight than to just write Mir. So they chose Mir and let Wayland become 'X 2.0 15 years too late'.

Another example of clear thinking from Canonical and not listening to the unwashed masses. Finally the leadership Linux needed! I'm afraid it might be too late though and Windows will continue to dominate everything since it's good enough and everybody already knows it. Even if Ubuntu becomes the Linux leader, why the hell would you choose Linux over the already installed and working Windows?
        The present maintainers of xorg, aren't the ones that created it.
        xorg is here before windows existed.
        The present xorg developers have inhereted that that it is.

You're so blind, that i'm actually spend some time to 'enlighten' you, if you're willing to see the truth:
        xorg mistakes are (summarized):
        -it does more than one thing (it's not just a display server)
        -it uses the network for communication (every window/app knows what happens in all others)
        -it has no master/root window (problems with screen savers, for instance)
        -server-side decorations (less customizability for apps)
        -asynconous design ('lag' effect on internet pages for instance)

Unless i forgot something, these are the problems that make xorg the mess that it is.
        The current developers have inherited that and yet they still work on it and tried to make it better. But the mess is so huge, that it can be fixed without breaking everything up.
        That's why wayland was created. It breaks everything up, but fixes all the mistakes.

Wayland is:
        -minimal (does on thing, and does it well)
        -it comunicates from server to window and vice-versa
        -it has root window
        -client-side decorations
        -syncronous designs

You see, since wayland was created by the same heroes that maintain xorg, it has none of it's flaws!
        The only 'flaw' that Mark can point out is that wayland doesn't licks canonical's ass.

So, Wayland does everything that MIR does, is usable by Canonical as it is, they just don't want to... They suffer from the 'not created by us' syndrom and they want to force everyone to use Ubuntu, since they have Steam working with them, deals with laptop makers. Ther're making the exact same monoplistic moves as M$!

Wayland is actually better than MIR in these points:
        -maintains stable API
        -works with any distro/DE
        -is not controlled by a single company, but instead is an open project

So get your research and facts straight cause u're blind my friend!!

Comment

• "I'm sick of these nobody's projects that go nowhere."

Like Linux ?

Comment

They are a company, they want money, they are vested in it. So they will make Mir work and make it good enough.
            Because no company ever has got into bankruptcy, or made mistakes.

They have no interest in self destructing. The fact that Mir is controlled by a company is a plus not a minus. Finally some accountability. I'm sick of these nobody's projects that go nowhere.
            Ubuntu is mostly another one of the bunch. Most of the software on it is from this "nobody's projects".

The only reason it works with any distro/DE is because those distros and DEs are maintained by assholes who try to sabotage Canonical.
            So, they can see the future, since most of them are there before Canonical even exists.

I also trust they know a bit more about OSes than you and have a very good reason why they created Mir and it's not because of NIH.
            We can say the same about X.org/Wayland maintainers on maintaining a display server compared to Canonical's folks. Truth is, Canonical's software never got into such a low level before.

These guys have a really popular distro, let's give them a little credit, OK? They may know they do.
            Popular distro != good programmers. At most, they are great at neat-picking other's software and PR, judging only by the popularity of the distro. Programming or designing software is a whole different world. A hint, most Gentoo and Arch users are programmers, and probably fairly good at it. Would you trust any of them to make a user friendly distro? Hint, they use one that isn't friendly at all. So, apples and oranges here.

Comment

I'm sick of these nobody's projects that go nowhere.
              So companies like Red Hat, Intel, IBM, ... (all involved in Wayland development) are nobodys compared to Canonical?
              The only reason it works with any distro/DE is because those distros and DEs are maintained by assholes who try to sabotage Canonical.
              And cause of that these distros/DEs existed before Mir, Unity and even Ubuntu...
              I also trust they know a bit more about OSes
              How do you come to that conclusion? What OS beside Ubuntu did we see from Canonical?
              and have a very good reason why they created Mir
              Till now all reasons they gave have been proven to be invalid. So where are these "very good reasons" ?
              I don't know
              Then do your self a flavor and shut up. You still didn't take your pills, did you?

//EDIT: BTW, from your link:
              "the API for the Mir Client library will always be backwards compatible"
              Remember: They didn't plan the API as good as Wayland did but rushed it instead... And the the same guy told he thinks Wayland is re-creating the issues of X... *facepalm*
              Last edited by V10lator; 25 July 2013, 04:26 AM.

Comment

• Still no reply to the proposed patches...
                How to interprete this?

Comment

• Originally posted by entropy View Post
                  Still no reply to the proposed patches...
                  How to interprete this?
                  Pissed off developers with no wish to help make the situation better, I believe. I don't blame them for being pissed off, but it's common courtesy to at least state they won't be accepted.

Comment

• Originally posted by entropy View Post
                    Still no reply to the proposed patches...
                    How to interprete this?
                    Well they did also post them at a time when the other devs are busy trying to wrap up their changes for the next Mesa release.

Comment

• Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                      Are you the same daniels of wine fame?
                      no, sorry. just wayland and xorg (and, a long time ago, ubuntu/debian/kde).

Comment

Working...
                      X