Canonical Posts 15 Mesa Patches To Support Mir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by intellivision View Post
    So you would actively denounce any distribution that would consider transitioning from Xorg to Mir instead of Wayland? Failing that, wanting to see a project fail is petty, very petty.
    MIR is not a 'project'. MIR is a spit in the face of all the OSS community.
    The thing i come to realize is: some actually like to be spited on...

Comment

• Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
      Weston is a *reference*. And is not a display server, is a compositor. You have to either decide for or against client side allocation on a given implementation. They choose client side on the reference, probably because they think it's better on the desktop and that's their main testing platform.
      weston doesn't have anything to do with buffer allocation. you can still do server-side buffer allocation on wayland (which i'm very comfortable saying as i've done it) with no changes to the compositor - it's all in the EGL stack for your graphics card, which have their own private buffer allocation protocols, e.g. wl_drm.

Comment

• Originally posted by dee. View Post
        Well, the happy news is, no distro is ever going to "consider transitioning to Mir" for the simple reason that no desktop besides Unity supports Mir - Unity and Mir are fully codependent, so to speak. Now you could say, maybe some other distro adopts Unity and runs it on Mir. Well, Canonical has made it extremely hard for anyone else to use Unity - even the Arch guys have trouble getting it running. Not only that, but Unity is partially dependent on proprietary code - the "smartscope" serverside software is proprietary, meaning that no one else will be able to replicate that functionality, without relying on Canonical's proprietary servers.

So in order for any distribution to be able to "transition to Mir", there would first have to be a DE willing to transition to Mir. What DE's are there? KDE, GNOME, Xfce, LXDE/Razor-Qt, E, MATE, Cinnamon. Of these, KDE, GNOME, Xfce, LXDE/Razor-Qt and E have publicly declared their support for Wayland, and that they have no plans on even considering implementing Mir support at this time. Cinnamon and MATE are both developed (or heavily influenced) by the Mint team, which while hasn't explicitly stated their plans regarding Wayland, has at least implied as much - IIRC, Clem has stated in a blog post that they will not change their plans because of Mir.

It's very unlikely that any other DE will ever run natively on Mir, for a couple of reasons: no one really has any interest in running Mir apart from Canonical, Canonical has not at this time presented a stable protocol or API that is guaranteed to stay stable, and it is unclear if they ever will do so, and Canonical is developing Mir for the needs of Unity only - no other DE would have any option to influence the development, ie. all other DE's would at least be 2nd class citizens on Mir. On the other hand, none of this applies to Wayland, which is open for any DE to join in and contribute. Any sane desktop is going to weigh the benefits and see that Wayland is the better option for them.

As for running a whole DE on XMir, that's just incredibly stupid - as would be running a whole DE on XWayland. It's unavoidably slower than plain X, adds a new layer of vulnerability, with none of the benefits of the new display server. What kind of idiot would even want to do that...
        And this, is why MIR and Canonical suck.
        Under the guise of an open source company, they manage to use other projects, not contribute, cause fragmentation and remove choice.
        Canonical is simply forcing a postion without giving any choice or even a chance for colaboration.
        So if they don't want to, why should the rest of us?

Comment

• Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post
          And this, is why MIR and Canonical suck.
          Under the guise of an open source company, they manage to use other projects, not contribute, cause fragmentation and remove choice.
          Canonical is simply forcing a postion without giving any choice or even a chance for colaboration.
          So if they don't want to, why should the rest of us?
          And you're the kind of people bashing FOSS games/LibreOffice/GIMP/Blender daily?

Comment

• Originally posted by Calinou View Post
            And you're the kind of people bashing FOSS games/LibreOffice/GIMP/Blender daily?
            No. I just have special love for MIR/Canonical

Comment

• Originally posted by intellivision View Post
              I was going off the code available in trunk, which is 0.0.5.
              And I couldn't care less about your ability to code, I'm not the sympathy society.
              well next time Dont go around calling ppl fuckin lier's when you dont know what the fuck you're talking about i do code some just not like a use to
              Last edited by LinuxGamer; 22 July 2013, 10:18 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by daniels View Post
                weston doesn't have anything to do with buffer allocation. you can still do server-side buffer allocation on wayland (which i'm very comfortable saying as i've done it) with no changes to the compositor - it's all in the EGL stack for your graphics card, which have their own private buffer allocation protocols, e.g. wl_drm.
                Hi sir,

Are you the same daniels of wine fame?

Comment

• Originally posted by daniels View Post
                  so what you just said tell's me there was no point of Mir even being made i did not see buffer allocation being a Big Deal any ways

Edit hope to see a Newer XWayland soon

Comment

• Originally posted by Calinou View Post
                    Lets not forget we should be storming down Intels doors for not using the Gallium framework to implement their graphics drivers!! How dare they not support an established effort to improve the linux graphics stack. For shame!!! How dare they not work towards the greater good of the Linux work and produce code that benefits only them more in the short term. I simply can't believe they deprived us of a world with a more robust Gallium code base!!!

Some people here need to get a grip and some perspective.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tgui View Post
                      Lets not forget we should be storming down Intels doors for not using the Gallium framework to implement their graphics drivers!! How dare they not support an established effort to improve the linux graphics stack. For shame!!! How dare they not work towards the greater good of the Linux work and produce code that benefits only them more in the short term. I simply can't believe they deprived us of a world with a more robust Gallium code base!!!

Yes, let's get some perspective:
                      Intel drivers were here way before Gallium... While, yes, it would be nice to have Intel working on Gallium, it's not their fault Gallium didn't exist when they started their drivers. Also, their drivers are designed to work on ALL distros.
                      Wayland was created way before MIR, and Canonical implemented something that not only doesn't work in other distros, and only works in Ubuntu. The problem is so severe that Kubuntu might cease to exist...

Comment

Working...
                      X