• Show
Clear All

Gorgeous!

Originally posted by siride View Post
    English requires subject pronouns.
    You made my day!

Comment

Originally posted by sireangelus View Post
      To Michael: i think you're missing the purpose of latency benchmarking. It's not only to have a average reading, but what matters most is how many, how frequent and the severity of the frame spikes, because that's the major cause of "perceived lagging"(beyond networking), usually a slightly slower frame average but with a much more stable frame latency is preferable over an inflated fps average with lots of spikes(like we see on this review, windows have It worse.)
      This is also why I prefer to play LoL on Linux even if the avg on windows is way higher.. I have frame latency problems even with VSync on and an apparent rock-solid 60fps
      lol.. guys... please.. don't go off topic.. let's talk about this instead..

Comment

Originally posted by artivision View Post
        Phoronix must start using the most advanced real Linux destro -=Fedora=-. As they have a GPU-drivers PPA (debian), they must have another for Fedora (rpm).
        No, you benchmark the most used distro, since thats the one people care the most about.

Don't like it? Come up with a more popular distribution.

Comment

We are not in the corporate sector

Originally posted by gamerk2 View Post
          No, you benchmark the most used distro, since thats the one people care the most about.

Don't like it? Come up with a more popular distribution.
          This argument only applies to the corporate sector.
          As this article is only meant to measure the GNU/Linux Intel driver performance (which is a Kernel-matter), the desktop environment shouldn't be the bottleneck here.
          Ubuntu's Unity is a _huge_ one and we should avoid it.

Comment

Originally posted by frign View Post
            This argument only applies to the corporate sector.
            As this article is only meant to measure the GNU/Linux Intel driver performance (which is a Kernel-matter), the desktop environment shouldn't be the bottleneck here.
            Ubuntu's Unity is a _huge_ one and we should avoid it.
            Yeah, Unity is such a _huge_ bottleneck: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTM5MzY

Comment

Judgement day

Originally posted by chrisb View Post
              Yeah, Unity is such a _huge_ bottleneck: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTM5MzY
              Granted.

I should've been clearer and went too specific: Michael should compare Ubuntu's overall performance with another distribution.

Beforehand, we'll have to wait for judgement day.
              Comparing various DE's running _on top of_ Ubuntu doesn't make sense. In my opinion, Ubuntu itself is the problem.

It may be very popular, but it's a mess.
              Last edited by frign; 23 July 2013, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by frign View Post
                Granted.

I should've been clearer and went too specific: Michael should compare Ubuntu's overall performance with another distribution.

Beforehand, we'll have to wait for judgement day.
                Comparing various DE's running _on top of_ Ubuntu doesn't make sense. In my opinion, Ubuntu itself is the problem.
                The distribution does not make a huge difference, really all they do is compile the underlying software. That is where the changes appear. See the recent 16-Way Linux OS Performance Comparison, the benchmark results are mostly similar across distributions although there are some obvious problems with some (what is going on with PostMark on BSD?? And Nexuiz on Debian?).

Comment

Linux Experience Better

While in OpenArena and Unvanquished, Windows had a slightly higher FPS than Linux, its max latency was higher than Linux's, thus you would actually have a better experience using Linux. I would consider this scenario to be win for Linux even though the numbers show a "loss".

Comment

Working...
                  X