Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: Apache Kills Off Its C++ Standard Library

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    13,424

    Default Apache Kills Off Its C++ Standard Library

    Phoronix: Apache Kills Off Its C++ Standard Library

    The Apache Software Foundation has decided to end its Apache C++ Standard Library (stdcxx) project...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQxNDE

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania, United States
    Posts
    1,749

    Default

    I'm all for competition..but why was this needed? The project i mean. GCC has a C++ implementation, LLVM has a C++ Implementation, there's probably a c++ implementation out there for embedded. It doesnt seem like it filled any niche except for those who hated both GCC AND LLVM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,287

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ericg View Post
    I'm all for competition..but why was this needed? The project i mean. GCC has a C++ implementation, LLVM has a C++ Implementation, there's probably a c++ implementation out there for embedded. It doesnt seem like it filled any niche except for those who hated both GCC AND LLVM.
    Yep, that sounds like wasted efforts.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    25

    Default Open-Source Projects Rely on Popularity

    I hate it when celebrity programmers will act like their own workflow equals one thousand people's workflows. If a project has very few supporters, a lot of competition, and nothing really innovative coming out of it then the project doesn't have a use for a big organization like Apache. I'm sure Bergström will try and drum up support for something that barely anyone cared about.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,287

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caryhartline View Post
    I hate it when celebrity programmers will act like their own workflow equals one thousand people's workflows. If a project has very few supporters, a lot of competition, and nothing really innovative coming out of it then the project doesn't have a use for a big organization like Apache. I'm sure Bergström will try and drum up support for something that barely anyone cared about.
    Well, as long as he works on it, he's free to scratch his own itch. But he shouldn't expect others to support it.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    197

    Default

    Proper c++11 support will require a bit of work. It's not exactly trivial to retool a library for it. And c++11 is extremely popular. There are TONS of follks out there very upset with MS about their poor c++11 support, more than a few have dumped msvc for mingw.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,911

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bnolsen View Post
    more than a few have dumped msvc for mingw.
    I'm not seeing that happen, especially since MS has declared that full c++11 and then 14 support are high priority for them.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    669

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ericg View Post
    I'm all for competition..but why was this needed? The project i mean. GCC has a C++ implementation, LLVM has a C++ Implementation, there's probably a c++ implementation out there for embedded. It doesnt seem like it filled any niche except for those who hated both GCC AND LLVM.
    LLVM probably didn't exist when this was written. Even when Apache took it over as an open-source project in 2005, LLVM wasn't the big deal it is now, not really catching on until after Apple adopted it. And 2005 was simply the date the code was released - presumably the project was created long before...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    361

    Default

    Apache isn't stupid: The future is libc++/libc++abi.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,287

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bnolsen View Post
    Proper c++11 support will require a bit of work. It's not exactly trivial to retool a library for it. And c++11 is extremely popular. There are TONS of follks out there very upset with MS about their poor c++11 support, more than a few have dumped msvc for mingw.
    There was no releases since 2008, I doubt there is any C++11 support on the killed library.
    Also, want to know who are upset with MS? The ones who didn't get support for C99. Now that's shitty support.

    Quote Originally Posted by Delgarde View Post
    LLVM probably didn't exist when this was written. Even when Apache took it over as an open-source project in 2005, LLVM wasn't the big deal it is now, not really catching on until after Apple adopted it. And 2005 was simply the date the code was released - presumably the project was created long before...
    Correct, but that doesn't change the fact that there is no need for it now, so maintaining it would be a wasted effort.

    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
    Apache isn't stupid: The future is libc++/libc++abi.
    I don't really understand your post, but if I'm correct, you misread the article: Apache is killing their implementation, and IMO they're right doing so, because even when I agree that the future is C/C++ based the same way it was for years, we already have two good implementations of it, there's no need for another one. We probably have even more from the several smaller compilers.
    Last edited by mrugiero; 07-18-2013 at 09:08 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •