Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE 4.11 Gets Memory Usage Improvements

Phoronix: KDE 4.11 Gets Memory Usage Improvements

Thanks in part to a computer hardware retailer being closed, KDE 4.11 (and KDE 4.12) will offer improved system memory usage...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Interesting ...

... I'm not sure what it says about the process that the developer's first instinct was to throw money, (in the form of new hardware), at the problem.

Comment

Nepomuk The Hog

I tried KDE almost two years ago and Nepomuk seemed excrutiatingly slow on an i-5 Sandy Bridge notebook. Thumbs up if it ever gets any better. Oh, wait, this was about memory usage only. But still, hooray to whoever tames the beast.

Comment

KDE is the slowest UI in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Rambo Tribble View Post
          ... I'm not sure what it says about the process that the developer's first instinct was to throw money, (in the form of new hardware), at the problem.
          Well... yeah. But be fair, your sitting there and your computer its running slow. Well, the easiest thing to do is just buy more ram usually, assuming you don't already have a lot. Also, I have no idea if he has a different day job or anything like that and just might need to be using his computer for regular work. It might have been a "path of least resistance" thing. I can understand that, but that said... this seems to have turned out for the best

I'm a big KDE fan, but yes, it is a rather heavy desktop even with some tweaking of services and such. I wish some more computer stores would close around KDE developers It all seems to be heading in the right direction now though, it seems it finally has enough features that they can stop adding them and just work on refining things.

Comment

Kmix sometimes goes skew.

Comment

Originally posted by eltomito View Post
              I tried KDE almost two years ago and Nepomuk seemed excrutiatingly slow on an i-5 Sandy Bridge notebook. Thumbs up if it ever gets any better. Oh, wait, this was about memory usage only. But still, hooray to whoever tames the beast.
              You're working on outdated information if you only used it two years ago. In the last year alone Nepomuk has been gutted and basically rewritten from scratch into a much simpler indexer. Try 4.11 when it comes out.
              All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by salsadoom View Post
                ... be fair ...
                I really wasn't trying to be unfair; just observing a phenomenon which is endemic to society. Conservation is almost always an after-thought, if that. I think the problem may be worse in tech, where fascination with the new *shiny* obscures servicing the "legacy" systems.

Not that a failure to conserve is anything new; I imagine many millenia ago Og woke up and thought, "Gee, where did all the wooly mammoths go?" The question, then, is what our legacy will be.

Comment

Originally posted by verde View Post
                  KDE is the slowest UI in my opinion.
                  Only if you're hitting driver bugs or something like that... Seriously KDE can be so cut down and minimalized that you can run it on just about anything... the only thing i've ever had problems with it on was Nvidia hardware with Nouveau under an old Ubuntu install.
                  All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Rambo Tribble View Post
                    Time limits. Time is in/of itself a resource. I've thrown money at things in order to save time that I can use elsewhere.

I didn't catch what his hardware requirements are, but what does a gig of memory cost? 10 bucks? 20 bucks? How many hours do you think he invested into fixing these problems? 5 hours? 10? The math doesn't necessarily stack up with how utterly cheap memory has become in the last decade. Buying new memory is much more logical than conservation here.

Just so it's said, I'm very glad the hardware store was closed. I'm glad we have these improvements.

Comment

Working...
                    X