No announcement yet.

KDE 4.11 Gets Memory Usage Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This isn't general KDE improvements, or even KDE SC improvements, it is just improvements to the PIM stack.

I am also not 100% clear whether the talk about buying the memory stick was intended seriously or was a joke.

Comment

Uh, guys....

The whole buying a memory stick thing was a joke, and a pretty obvious one at that.

I mean really, do you think 1 guy made all those memory improvements in 1 night? It was probably weeks of work.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
        I'm pretty sure the whole memory stick thing was a joke, and a pretty obvious one at that.

I mean really, do you think 1 guy made all those memory improvements in 1 night? It was probably weeks of work.
        Depends upon the bugs. If you read the blog it sounds like a few of them were just a lack of "Free-After-Use" in which case they'd be (relatively) easy to fix
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
          Depends upon the bugs. If you read the blog it sounds like a few of them were just a lack of "Free-After-Use" in which case they'd be (relatively) easy to fix
          Yes, i did read the blog, and i stand by what i said before. Just because a couple of them would have been easy fixes doesn't mean they all were.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
            Only if you're hitting driver bugs or something like that... Seriously KDE can be so cut down and minimalized that you can run it on just about anything...
            No, it's because many KDE programs are not "pure qt" programs, but interact with kde services and stuff AND they have a lot of features so they start slowly.

Dolphin is a good example. It has gotten much better (I'm using 4.11 rc), but it's still noticeable. Go to a terminal, type
            Code:
            dolphin & thunar
            press enter and tell me what you see (do it twice so both have their libraries cached). Yes, dolphin has many more features, but when using kde you'll notice that a lot of the default programs are "heavier". Now try the same with
            Code:
            kate & mousepad
            . It also doesn't win against gedit. Geany is a bit quicker too. gwenview vs. eog. okular vs. evince. Just try it.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
              Yes, i did read the blog, and i stand by what i said before. Just because a couple of them would have been easy fixes doesn't mean they all were.
              But the store being closed could've provided motivation to start the project. That doesn't mean that the store had to remain closed while he finished the project.

Comment

I would think the part about the "computer shop" being closed is more of a joke. Well, maybe not a joke, but just a thought he had while getting the motivation to do it. If he didn't have enough memory to use KDE comfortably (or to compile and link it) he still needs more RAM.

Nepomuk? I don't like that and disable it. I don't like anything that gyrates and indexes content. (The find program is good enough for me, because I know where to start the search when looking for things. I don't even do slocate... I hate the cron job) I have no need for the Akonadi service either.

I especially hate "Windows Search". I remove that service permanently on my Windows installs. Ironically, I use a Windows front end to locate ("locate32", available in x86 and x64 versions) and just update the databases manually, immediately before use. (just takes a minute or so because it's not actually indexing content). I don't mess with Windows Search when I have to find something on a customer computer either, I keep locate32 on my thumb drive with the rest of my weaponry.

I don't use it, but I do like KDE these days. It took a while to get KDE 4 "usable". (I still miss some aspects of KDE 3.x, mostly because it was much more configurable. Later versions were pretty good. KDE has always been bloat, but it was fairly efficient bloat. If you had reasonable hardware for it, it ran well)

I tend to keep KDE mostly for KDE apps. I use a few of them from outside KDE.

Comment

i think you must be hitting some hardware issue because for me KDE since 4.4/4.6 is basically instant whatever KDE app i use excepting maybe Kdevelop but well it even import and parse my projects and is like 2secs from a cool boot.

in fact dolphin with searchs active and opening cold into a folder with 500 music videos open instantly

My hardware:

home:
                  AMD FX 6100 + 990FX + 7770 Ghz edition
                  Vertex 4 256GB SSD Sata3
                  16 GB DDR3 1866 low latency
                  KDE is instant + color correction and GL2 renderer
                  Driver: RadeonSI + Static PM due to bug so is at boot freq

main workstation at office:
                  AMD Phenom II X4 965 @3.9 Ghz + 890FX + 4350 passive
                  320 GB 2,5" 5400RPM HDD[My old SSD got weared :* ]
                  8GB DDR3 1333
                  KDE is instant + color correction and GL3.1 renderer
                  Driver: r600g + DPM

Field work "el Cheapo" laptop:
                  Intel SB Pentium mobile + IGP
                  160 GB 2,5" 5400RPM HDD
                  2GB DDR3 1066
                  KDE is instant + color correction and GL3.1 renderer
                  Driver: intel DRI

Note: for instant i mean an eye only measurement giving the impression that the apps is there before i take my finger from the mouse button

Comment

Originally posted by eltomito View Post
                    I tried KDE almost two years ago and Nepomuk seemed excrutiatingly slow on an i-5 Sandy Bridge notebook. Thumbs up if it ever gets any better. Oh, wait, this was about memory usage only. But still, hooray to whoever tames the beast.
                    2 years ago means KDE 4.7. Yes, Nepomuk is somewhere between 20 and 30x faster than 2 years ago.

Comment

Anyone knows if the microblog plasmoid is fixed? (Twitter won't work).

Comment

Working...
                      X