Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enlightenment E17 Stands A Chance For Fedora 20

Phoronix: Enlightenment E17 Stands A Chance For Fedora 20

Fans of the Enlightenment desktop / window manager may finally see the lightweight solution packaged for Fedora 20...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

what about E18 in F20 on wayland that i like to see

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
      what about E18 in F20 on wayland that i like to see
      We will probably reach F220 before E18 is released And we might be dead by then. Our grandchildren may be able to use it.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
        We will probably reach F220 before E18 is released And we might be dead by then. Our grandchildren may be able to use it.
        New EFL release plan is 1 release per year. I get the joke, but its a non-issue now :P
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

I'd like to see it as a spin

Enlightenment is both "good enough" and unique enough to warrant an official downloadable live/ ISO that boots and can be used for testing.

Fedora has GNOME, KDE, LXDE, and XFCE, they ought to go for 5. Add E to the list of official spins.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
            New EFL release plan is 1 release per year. I get the joke, but its a non-issue now :P
            It was obvious i was jocking

Originally posted by halfmanhalfamazing
            I'd like to see it as a spin
            Enlightenment is both "good enough" and unique enough to warrant an official downloadable live/ ISO that boots and can be used for testing.

Fedora has GNOME, KDE, LXDE, and XFCE, they ought to go for 5. Add E to the list of official spins.
            Its not there yet for an average user. While some stuff are awesome some areas need quite a lot of polishing. And, sadly, i don't think E has the manpower to do it right now. If they fix those problematic areas and add some basic features that are missing it will be an incredible DE.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
              Its not there yet for an average user. While some stuff are awesome some areas need quite a lot of polishing. And, sadly, i don't think E has the manpower to do it right now. If they fix those problematic areas and add some basic features that are missing it will be an incredible DE.
              E17 has been adopted by Samsung for Tizen. That means there are about 20,000 Samsung employees working on a stack that includes the EFL(+E17), systemd, wayland, connman and a whole range of related projects.
              Whatever it is you think is missing or lacking, is most likely just absent from the stack you're running or is being worked on by more paid manpower then Gnome and KDE has combined. And that's not including the volunteers and independent developers who are doing native app development for Tizen with EFL use.
              My remaining sole concern is the current bugs and warts. The focus on the vehicle and mobile touch interface is significant so the desktop can feel a little behind at times since there's just so few desktop users to fill bug reports. But, since the Fedora stack is very similar and just as bleeding edge, I'm sure having E17 as an official spin would bring a whole range of bugs and usability issues into review.
              So, I for one, welcome out new E17 desktop overlord.

Comment

Originally posted by c117152 View Post
                E17 has been adopted by Samsung for Tizen. That means there are about 20,000 Samsung employees working on a stack that includes the EFL(+E17), systemd, wayland, connman and a whole range of related projects.
                Whatever it is you think is missing or lacking, is most likely just absent from the stack you're running or is being worked on by more paid manpower then Gnome and KDE has combined. And that's not including the volunteers and independent developers who are doing native app development for Tizen with EFL use.
                My remaining sole concern is the current bugs and warts. The focus on the vehicle and mobile touch interface is significant so the desktop can feel a little behind at times since there's just so few desktop users to fill bug reports. But, since the Fedora stack is very similar and just as bleeding edge, I'm sure having E17 as an official spin would bring a whole range of bugs and usability issues into review.
                Yes i know its been adopted by Samsung and pay almost all the devs but they (Samsung) don't care about the desktop. And i bet the devs don't use their desktop as the average Joe user. A prime example of this is that you have an awesome terminal emulator and a sub par file manager. Another example is that it doesn't have selection of multiple files on the desktop surface. Some DND issues exist there are some usability irks and so on.

And i can't blame them. Because i know there are too few of them working on the desktop. Raster explained the situation many times. EFL libraries are a different story.

Comment

Originally posted by c117152 View Post
                  You neglected to mention that the Tizen SDK is released under a very restrictive, non-FOSS license which might make adoption much more harder for those who are concerned about such issues.

Comment

Working...
                  X