Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally, Team Fortress 2 Benchmarks For Phoronix!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
    Wrong, I've played them all, they are all the same lame ass clone of Quake and Unreal Tournament they've always been. Nothing new, nothing interesting to see. The only good games I've seen in the OSS world are still WIP games like NAEV and FlareRPG.
    You are free to edit the variables or the source to create your own game balance, it's not that hard. Also, Warsow, Xonotic and Red Eclipse are nowhere as near as Quake and aren't your BF3 "waiting game".

you've got nobody to play them with
    Quality doesn't mean quantity.

Since anyone that wants to play that crappy kind of arena shooter just plays one of the dozes of freeware FPS shooters because if they wanted the Quake experience they'd just play QuakeLive.
    Quake Live:
    1) is freemium
    2) doesn't let free users vote maps/modes
    3) has a questionable balance
    4) is ugly
    5) is technically older than most FOSS games
    6) requires using a web browser and a proprietary plug-in
    7) doesn't have that much players

Blender is the only one, it doesn't compete with the likes of Nuke though. GIMP is only where Photoshop was as far as tools around a 8 years ago, yet still lacks things like CMKY color.
    What do you need CMYK color for? If you think it's the most needed feature in the world, why haven't I seen a Kickstarter or something like that attempting to pay a developer to code CMYK support in GIMP?

Show me the OSS equivilent to Pro Tools or Logic for audio work, Final Cut or Avid for video work. You can't because they don't exist. The closest thing for video is Cinerella and it's as unstable as a sealed cardboard box full of cats with a few 1" diameter holes in it.
    Care to elaborate? Which features aren't present in OSS, exactly, instead of broadly saying there is no equivalent?
    Last edited by Calinou; 26 July 2013, 08:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
      You are free to edit the variables or the source to create your own game balance, it's not that hard. Also, Warsow, Xonotic and Red Eclipse are nowhere as near as Quake and aren't your BF3 "waiting game".
      Why do that when you can play the superior #1 FPS games in history? Every game from Valve. TF2 alone tears those all to shreds.

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
        Why do that when you can play the superior #1 FPS games in history? Every game from Valve.
        You're saying that and you still claim on every roof TF2 is unplayable on your HD 7950... it's AMD's fault, but still...

TF2 alone tears those all to shreds.
        Not really. While TF2 is an excellent game, alternatives shouldn't be ignored, else TF2 would get boring after a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
          You're saying that and you still claim on every roof TF2 is unplayable on your HD 7950... it's AMD's fault, but still...

Not really. While TF2 is an excellent game, alternatives shouldn't be ignored, else TF2 would get boring after a while.
          I have a Windows Steam partitition....I get 300+ FPS at all times with all maxed at 1920x1200 16xMSAA etc. There are no 'alternatives' and TF2 does not get 'boring' after a while. I've been playing it since 2007 and they continually keep adding new maps and weapons which completely alter the potential amount of play styles. There are also many gamemodes and custom gamemodes. If I feel like playing something else I'll just run CS:GO. All of the characters are eccentric with a plethora of dialogue spoken during gameplay which makes it even more interesting. You know what's really boring? Those OSS games like Xonotic.

Comment

You said timedemo's are not accurate representations of real world usage....except if you have ever used a timedemo before in the Source engine, it records all events that happen up to when you stop the timedemo recording...then when you run the timedemo it will replay those 'real world' events exactly every single time. That's clearly an accurate representation. Just join a 24-32 man TF2 server and play as scout or soldier and run around killing people as usual business...you'll have a perfect timedemo for benchmarking purposes.
            And as I said that would then be accurate representation for that run. But not for subsequent runs. As soon as you repeat it, it becomes pointless. Gameplay is not repeatable.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
              And as I said that would then be accurate representation for that run. But not for subsequent runs. As soon as you repeat it, it becomes pointless. Gameplay is not repeatable.
              There isn't a single ounce of logic in what you just said. That was an incredibly stupid thing to say.

Comment

There isn't a single ounce of logic in what you just said. That was an incredibly stupid thing to say.
                Explain to me how it's stupid... I'm curious to see how you rationalize.
                Last edited by duby229; 26 July 2013, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Explain to me how it's is stupid... I'm curious to see how you rationalize.
                  What's stupid is how you think a timedemo is not gameplay when it clearly is......

Comment

What's stupid is how you think a timedemo is not gameplay when it clearly is......
                    It just doesnt sink in does it? I've already said clearly that in the case of a timedemo then it can only be representative of that run, not subsequent runs.

Comment

It just doesnt sink in does it? I've already said clearly that in the case of a timedemo then it can only be representative of that run, not subsequent runs.

Timedemos run the same each subsequent run...

Comment

Working...
                      X