No announcement yet.

Previewing The Radeon DPM Performance On Linux 3.11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

finally, open source drivers that will work with a laptop (without melting it)

Well, better late than never :-) I expect that in about 6 months when this starts making it into Linux distros that I will be able to start recommending AMD hardware again. I hope your CPU people have some tricks up their sleeves for catching up with Intel.

Is CrossFire support coming next for those of us with both discrete components and APUs?

Thank you!!
    Last edited by edsdead; 16 July 2013, 05:54 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

A small open source gpu revolution!

Probably the most exciting preview article of all times as far as it concerns the graphics world!
      Think now that the one of the 2 industry leaders has an out of the box open source almost full functional driver for most of its GPUs!
      I am very happy that the Lintel graphics are becoming obsolete and we now can use real GPUs from cheap and cool ones to APUs and to graphic hungry beasts!!
      I don't think someone with a Radeon HD 6970 would care that much for the power consumption... But he/she would care to have a driver that rises the clocks to maximum and provide high performance!
      Crossfire, Overdrive I think are the next goals for this category of GPUs and not only...
      We also have UVD usage among all the others, Radeon SI must be now under the heavy development procedure and inherit the features from its older brothers!

Big thanks to all AMD open source team and every other contributor!

As for nVidia, Linus words are always in my mind since they bury nouveau... We don't need their proprietary advantage and open source huge disadvantage anymore!
      Last edited by djdoo; 16 July 2013, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by djdoo View Post
        Probably the most exciting preview article of all times as far as it concerns the graphics world!
        Think now that the one of the 2 industry leaders has an out of the box open source almost full functional driver for most of its GPUs!
        I am very happy that the Lintel graphics are becoming obsolete and we now can use real GPUs from cheap and cool ones to APUs and to graphic hungry beasts!!
        I don't think someone with a Radeon HD 6970 would care that much for the power consumption... But he/she would care to have a driver that rises the clocks to maximum and provide high performance!
        Crossfire, Overdrive I think are the next goals for this category of GPUs and not only...
        We also have UVD usage among all the others, Radeon SI must be now under the heavy development procedure and inherit the features from its older brothers!

Big thanks to all AMD open source team and every other contributor!

As for nVidia, Linus words are always in my mind since they bury nouveau... We don't need their proprietary advantage and open source huge disadvantage anymore!
        I'm not totally disagreeing with you Djdoo... but there's n othing wrong with Intel graphics. They are more than enough for the average (non-gamer) user since Sandy Bridge. Some light gaming is fine on them. If you want to do some more serious gaming then yeah, you need AMD or Nvidia but to say that they are "obsolete" is definitely an overstatement. Not to mention that HAVING the discrete cards suck a fair bit of power which is bad for laptop users.
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
          Please bench a10-5800K because a10-6800k is way too immature to be interesting.
          They are almost exactly the same chip with different clocks. Both use r600g, not radeonsi.

Comment

I don?t understand why this APU is always benchmarked overclocked. It makes the results higher than what they should be (I suppose).
            Also I didn?t understand the mention of Catalyst in between two graphs that have nothing to do with Catalyst.

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post
              I don?t understand why this APU is always benchmarked overclocked. It makes the results higher than what they should be (I suppose).
              Where did you get that from?

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
                Where did you get that from?
                From the table in the first page of the article. I can?t copy-paste but it says 4.7GHz, while the normal frequency is 4.1GHz (with turbo boost up to 4.4GHz). The previous articles about this APU also used overclocked numbers.

Comment

We got a problem! I had great success with this kernel on my A8-3870K TV PC but when I install it on my laptop I get no screen!

The laptop is a dv6z-7000 from HP. It has an AMD A8-4600 APU with 7660G GPU as well as a 7730M discrete GPU. Internally, the display is connected to the APU and uses DMA to move frames to the iGPU when using the dGPU, but it looks like the new driver ignores the APU's GPU entirely and just inits the discrete one, which of course has no screen. The laptop is cool and quiet now, I'll give them that, but picking the wrong GPU is kind of a big deal.

Comment

I have been waiting for this day since the day I got my 5770. Even though catalyst is finally somewhat tolerable, I still can't wait to give this a whirl.

Comment

Working...
                    X