Canonical Continues Working On XMir Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DrYak View Post
    translation: The whole Mir/XMir stack on upcoming Ubuntu is going to be just a glorified page flipper. That's it. No actual Mir functionnality. XMir is basically a full fledged X server, and relies on Mir only to flip the buffers. Yeah, good work canonical !
    That's my take, too. In theory, this is being done to get people testing Mir - but if they're using XMir, there's very little Mir functionality actually being tested. No window management functions - all it's doing is creating a full-screen surface, then handing over all control to the X server. Maybe it shakes out the driver layer a bit, but it's hard to see it being worth the risk, or the effort compared to porting stuff to run natively.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
      I see... in that case, you must work with a different type non-technical users than I do
      User: Why doesn't this website work?
      Me: comes over and takes a look.
      Me: Oh, you can't use the right mouse button. You have to click with the left mouse button.
      User: Oh, ok. I guess i can do that.
      Me: /gets drunk

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
        That's my take, too. In theory, this is being done to get people testing Mir - but if they're using XMir, there's very little Mir functionality actually being tested. No window management functions - all it's doing is creating a full-screen surface, then handing over all control to the X server. Maybe it shakes out the driver layer a bit, but it's hard to see it being worth the risk, or the effort compared to porting stuff to run natively.
        I think it's about 2 things.

1. Mark said Mir would be done, so therefore it must be done and out there, even if it's completely useless to do so at the moment. AKA making sure the boss doesn't feel stupid.

2. Pressuring AMD and NVidia to release drivers by being able to point to all the Ubuntu users out there who would be using it but aren't.

So really both cases just come down to PR and marketing.

Comment

And to think that word "Mir" actually means "Peace"
          Excellent choice

Comment

This all doesn't make sense to me...how about we all update x and stick to that? Linux is enough fragmented like for ex. the silly rpm and deb packages.

Comment

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
              This all doesn't make sense to me...how about we all update x and stick to that? Linux is enough fragmented like for ex. the silly rpm and deb packages.
              Because X has problems caused by fundamental design flaws that can't be solved in any practical way, and we already have Wayland which solves all those problems AND provides backwards compatibility with X via XWayland.

But you're right, Mir doesn't make sense. Canonical should be backing Wayland like they promised, instead of trying to fuck the entire desktop Linux ecosystem up the arse.

Comment

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
                This all doesn't make sense to me...how about we all update x and stick to that?
                That was the plan, yes. The updated X is called Wayland. Most distributions are still going to follow the plan.

Comment

tleo charity

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
                  Wrong. The updated X is called Mir. Wayland is a couple of amateurs in the basement. Mir is done by a real company that has already proven itself by creating Ubuntu, the leading edge and most popular Linux distro. If it wasn't for Ubuntu, Linux would still only be used by Linus and his 3 friends.
                  You get it backwards again. Wayland is created by professionals with years of experience in that specific field, while Canonical hired some amateurs that weren't even able to analyze Wayland correctly. Hiring amateurs does not suddenly make them experts.
                  Oh, by the way, Wayland is only supported by such companies like Intel and Red Hat, companies that make Canonical look like a charity.
                  By the way, do you have any proof that Linux would not have more users without Ubuntu or are you just pulling this out of your ass?

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
                    You get it backwards again. Wayland is created by professionals with years of experience in that specific field, while Canonical hired some amateurs that weren't even able to analyze Wayland correctly. Hiring amateurs does not suddenly make them experts.
                    Oh, by the way, Wayland is only supported by such companies like Intel and Red Hat, companies that make Canonical look like a charity.
                    By the way, do you have any proof that Linux would not have more users without Ubuntu or are you just pulling this out of your ass?
                    Please please please just put him in your ignore list and stop answering to him.

Comment

Originally posted by erendorn View Post
                      Please please please just put him in your ignore list and stop answering to him.
                      If we do not correct his wrong statements some people may believe that he is actually right.

Comment

Working...
                      X