No announcement yet.

Jolla's First Smartphone Powered By Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well the phone actually costs ?400, which may or may not convert to $500 when it's released outside of Europe. The specs aren't even fully clarified yet. A dual-core could still be an A15 based SoC or a Snapdragon S4, which would still be quite fast for a ?400 phone. In any case, one has to take into account that Jolla is a low volume product from a startup and as such it's very likely they will get a worse deal than any of the large android OEMs on HW.
    Last edited by Raven3x7; 13 July 2013, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Raven3x7 View Post
      Well the phone actually costs ?400, which may or may not convert to $500 when it's released outside of Europe. The specs aren't even fully clarified yet. A dual-core could still be an A15 based SoC or a Snapdragon S4, which would still be quite fast for a ?400 phone. In any case, one has to take into account that Jolla is a low volume product from a startup and as such it's very likely they will get a worse deal than any of the large android OEMs on HW.
      far as i know it's not going to be a low volume Phone he has many many backers

Comment

$500 is way too expensive for those specs to be successful.

Comment

Does Jolla plan to support android apps? What is the plan with regard to app ecossystem? HTML5?

Comment

Originally posted by Figueiredo View Post
            Does Jolla plan to support android apps? What is the plan with regard to app ecossystem? HTML5?
            Yes, it has Android app support. The ecosystem is QML/QT5. It is running Sailfish OS which is build ontop of the Mer project, which is a community fork of Meego. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sailfish_OS

Comment

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
              $500 is way too expensive for those specs to be successful.
              IDK, the phone looks pretty slick:

It's completely possible consumers overlook (or don't really notice) the performance-per-dollar of the Jolla phone because the interface is so unique.
              I mean, Macs sell well off "hipness" and chrome-finish alone it seems.

Comment

Originally posted by F i L View Post
                IDK, the phone looks pretty slick.
                4G is probably the redeeming factor but by the time this phone gets out 4G will be pretty standard.

The 8MP is too low. 12-16MP with zoom is the default now for low to middle end phones. Example you can get $200 phones from China with 12MP cams and they are fairly decent specs. Check out Aliexpress.com

16GB is also too low. 32GB+ is a must with 2GB+ of main.

Comment

I want to buy this phone so much but for that hardware i don't think i'm willing to pay more than 400euros. Hopefully they keep the price realistic and not like the N9.

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
                    I want to buy this phone so much but for that hardware i don't think i'm willing to pay more than 400euros. Hopefully they keep the price realistic and not like the N9.
                    well, it's in preorded for 400?.
                    I don't think I paid more than that for my N9 actually (around christmas, 64Gb in Switzerland not so expensive).

Comment

Well it was 550euros here, so 400 is definitely tolerable compared to that. And the hardware is more than adequate in Jolla and Wayland promises so much. The N9 was just a tiny bit too slow to be really good. If it was dualcore like all the competitors it would have been legendary.

Comment

Working...
                      X