Wayland 1.2.0 Released, Joined By Weston Compositor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
    Oh great, their ambitions are disconnected from reality. Certainly makes people confident when looking at that project
    It's the platfrom used by Automotive Grade Linux and it's also GENEVI compliant. I would say it's quite notable but probably something Samsung isn't too interested in.

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
      It's the platfrom used by Automotive Grade Linux and it's also GENEVI compliant. I would say it's quite notable but probably something Samsung isn't too interested in.
      LG is interested in that market: http://www.genivi.org/compliant-products
      Samsung may create a commercial solution based on Tizen as well, esp. considering that Samsung and Renault operate a joint venture: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_Samsung_Motors

Even though it's not a requirement to base a commercial GENIVI-compliant offering on MeeGo/Tizen, it's the easiest path because all code is available under https://review.tizen.org/git/
      And that's Intel's interest: Be the preferred IVI upstream to ensure commercial offerings work well with Intel chipsets.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
        Even though it's not a requirement to base a commercial GENIVI-compliant offering on MeeGo/Tizen
        No doubt you already know this & it's just a honest mistake, but just in case... MeeGo != Tizen.
        Tizen started-off very similar from a admin/governance standpoint only (but even that's changed quite a bit), & similar in terms of many of the same orgs involved in MeeGo being involved in Tizen.
        From a technical/code standpoint though, Tizen is not based on or like MeeGo at all (except perhaps for some upstream stuff), the successor to MeeGo is MeR/Nemo or MeR/Sailfish.
        Hopefully one day... the mainstream media will stop directly associating the two...
        Last edited by jalyst; 14 July 2013, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jalyst View Post
          No doubt you already know this & it's just a honest mistake, but just in case... MeeGo != Tizen.
          Tizen started-off very similar from a admin/governance standpoint only (but even that's changed quite a bit), & similar in terms of many of the same orgs involved in MeeGo being involved in Tizen.
          From a technical/code standpoint though, Tizen is not based on or like MeeGo at all
          How often do I have to repeat to people like you that Tizen IVI is not the same as Tizen Mobile.
          Tizen Mobile is not based on MeeGo, true. It's based on Samsung Linux Platform.

Tizen IVI, however, is based on MeeGo IVI!!!!!!! <-- Get that in your head!

Comment

How often do I have to repeat to people like you that Tizen IVI is not the same as Tizen Mobile.
            Tizen Mobile is not based on MeeGo, true. It's based on Samsung Linux Platform.

Tizen IVI, however, is based on MeeGo IVI!!!!!!! <-- Get that in your head!
            I detect a tone of rudeness there, was I at any point rude in my prior post? I think it's pretty clear I wasn't.
            It's 5am here, sleep deprivation is not a good thing when it comes to reading comprehension.

Comment

Originally posted by jalyst View Post
              I detect a tone of rudeness there, was I at any point rude in my prior post? I think it's pretty clear I wasn't.
              It's 5am here, sleep deprivation is not a good thing when it comes to reading comprehension.
              Then detect my posts explaining Tizen IVI when you are awake. It's hardly the first time, I explained it?

Comment

Then detect my posts explaining Tizen IVI when you are awake. It's hardly the first time, I explained it?
                Doesn't entitle you to be rude. Maybe the dude missed the post or something. It happens. To get upset is a bit childish.

Comment

Tizen works with Qt just fine. Utilizing Qt applications can be developed and deployed without much hassle on BlackBerry 10, Ubuntu Touch, Jolla/Sailfish, Plasma Active, and Tizen Mobile/IVI.
                  It does, but there's no official support on Tizen Mobile so the developer has to bundle the Qt libraries with the application they want to release (which means a larger binary) or the user will have to install the Qt libs manually.

And after looking at press releases of Tizen from Samsung and Intel, the overall impression is that the priority is Tizen Mobile, IVI is sparsely mentioned let alone portrayed as the primary driver for the Tizen project.

Comment

Originally posted by intellivision View Post
                    Actually QML and HTML5 are the official development platforms for Ubuntu Mobile, as with Jolla.
                    FirefoxOS is HTML5 only, however since the Mozilla Marketplace is cross platform it will probably have more success than other HTML5 platforms such as Tizen.
                    Tizen also suffers from an unclear development path and lack of official support for any native applications as EFL is no longer a supported framework.

Comment

There were articles stating that native development had been deprecated for now, I guess they've brought it back.
                      Is the official Tizen SDK the only way to write these applications? I would be wary using it as its license isn't exactly FOSS (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flora_License).

Comment

Working...
                      X