Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by intellivision View Post
    Tizen also suffers from an unclear development path
    That puts it very nicely. There are not few who believe that Tizen is more or less dead. This is why it is good that Sailfish goes forward to demonstrate what Wayland is capable of in mobile.

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
      we do have Wayland Working and Shipping soon
      Wayland is already working and shipping in various distributions. The major desktops just don't use it, yet.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
        That puts it very nicely. There are not few who believe that Tizen is more or less dead. This is why it is good that Sailfish goes forward to demonstrate what Wayland is capable of in mobile.
        Especially when there's been more recent doubt in the future of Tizen, mentioned in this article.
        The company's Tizen project has reportedly been delayed, raising questions about its reliance on Android and how fast it can downshift to the growing market for cheaper phones.

Comment

Originally posted by intellivision View Post
          Especially when there's been more recent doubt in the future of Tizen, mentioned in this article.
          http://www.forbes.com/sites/parmyols...ve-hit-a-snag/
          You people need to finally learn that there are two very different projects being developed under the Tizen brand: IVI and Mobile.
          Tizen IVI is very much alive and very successful in its industry.

Comment

Obviously we are talking about Sailfish/Tizen/Wayland on mobile phones here. And it looks like Sailfish might be the first out of the door with a phone that has a Wayland based UI, while Tizen phones keep being postponed.

[rant]In fact, the situation is so pathetic that Tizen now has an app challenge with 1st November 2013 submission deadline, but it is highly questionable whether actual Tizen phones will be on the market before then. I mean, how can you properly develop an app without a phone to run it on?[/rant]

Comment

wayland

Im waiting for it to move to linux as primary os
              For the moment X gives me probs
              For the gaming is 7 windos

Comment

Obviously we are talking about Sailfish/Tizen/Wayland on mobile phones here.
                The topic is Wayland and Wayland is already present in consumer devices via IVI.
                Any claim that Tizen had an "unclear development path" is wrong. The path is clear: IVI is where Tizen's party is. In market reality Tizen Mobile is just a side project.

[rant]In fact, the situation is so pathetic that Tizen now has an app challenge with 1st November 2013 submission deadline, but it is highly questionable whether actual Tizen phones will be on the market before then. I mean, how can you properly develop an app without a phone to run it on?[/rant]
                Tizen works with Qt just fine. Utilizing Qt applications can be developed and deployed without much hassle on BlackBerry 10, Ubuntu Touch, Jolla/Sailfish, Plasma Active, and Tizen Mobile/IVI.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                  IVI is where Tizen's party is. In market reality Tizen Mobile is just a side project.
                  Well if I visit the about page on tizen.org this certainly reads differently (emphasis mine):
                  Originally posted by https://www.tizen.org/about
                  Tizen is an open source, standards-based software platform supported by leading mobile operators, device manufacturers, and silicon suppliers for multiple device categories such as smartphones, tablets, netbooks, in-vehicle infotainment devices, and smart TVs.
                  IVI is mentioned only in fourth place, behind netbooks even.

Tizen works with Qt just fine. Utilizing Qt applications can be developed and deployed without much hassle on BlackBerry 10, Ubuntu Touch, Jolla/Sailfish, Plasma Active, and Tizen Mobile/IVI.
                  Of course I can also develop on a different platform or even in an emulator. But that only gives me a remote idea how the application will behave on a Tizen phone.

I guess that I have already derailed this thread from the topic of Wayland and Weston too much, so I will stop posting about Tizen here.

Comment

Well if I visit the about page on tizen.org this certainly reads differently (emphasis mine):
                    IVI is mentioned only in fourth place, behind netbooks even.
                    Learn to read. I wrote "market reality", not some ambition stated on a website.

Comment

Learn to read. I wrote "market reality", not some ambition stated on a website.
                      Oh great, their ambitions are disconnected from reality. Certainly makes people confident when looking at that project

Comment

Working...
                      X