Wayland 1.2.0 Released, Joined By Weston Compositor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by intellivision View Post
    There were articles stating that native development had been deprecated for now, I guess they've brought it back.
    Is the official Tizen SDK the only way to write these applications? I would be wary using it as its license isn't exactly FOSS (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flora_License).
    The articles were probably wrong as native development didn't go anywhere.
    The license only matters if you want to fork the project, otherwise it is a non-issue. You could also use the unofficial Qt SDK to create tizen apps with native code.

Comment

Originally posted by jayrulez View Post
      The license only matters if you want to fork the project, otherwise it is a non-issue. You could also use the unofficial Qt SDK to create tizen apps with native code.
      I know what it was, the Tizen SDK 1.0 only had HTML5 support. They seem to have brought it back in later releases.

Qt isn't officially supported on Tizen. A service similar to Ministro II on Android would be needed before any Qt applications could be run.

Also the clause You may not load or install any of the Tizen SDK onto mobile phones or any other devices, except a personal computer. in the Flora license is quite strange to have in a project that is supposedly open source and developed in conjunction with the Linux Foundation.

Comment

Looks Like we may see KDE running on Wayland soon

"My notbeook has been using a KDE+Wayland session for a complete day. Let's see how long it will last :-)"

Note:  This blog post outlines upcoming changes to Google Currents for Workspace users. For information on the previous deprecation of Googl...

Comment

I know what it was, the Tizen SDK 1.0 only had HTML5 support. They seem to have brought it back in later releases.

Qt isn't officially supported on Tizen. A service similar to Ministro II on Android would be needed before any Qt applications could be run.

Also the clause You may not load or install any of the Tizen SDK onto mobile phones or any other devices, except a personal computer. in the Flora license is quite strange to have in a project that is supposedly open source and developed in conjunction with the Linux Foundation.
          You could always bundle Qt with the application. Qt is not the monolithic framework it was. It may be a bit larger than using the tizen apis but it's no bigger than Xamarin.Android and Unity which are very popular.

I don't think many if anyone will be developing mobile apps with their phones and tablets so that clause shouldn't be a problem for developers.

Comment

Originally posted by jayrulez View Post
            It certainly changed to one with far less official emphasis, & subsequently EFL was jettisoned (somewhat unceremoniously) in favour of C++.
            Due to lack of a public roadmap and basic schedule it was uncertain for fans of Tizen whether Bada featurephone operating system takes center stage for Samsung's Tizen as the popular rumors say. With the final 2.0 release important milestone of the merge has been finalized. Bada's "Open Services Pl...

Unless things have changed quite a bit since the end of February...
            Last edited by jalyst; 15 July 2013, 12:13 AM.

Comment

Congratulations gentlemen

Keep up the awesome work-it is as important as what Linus did 13+ years ago. It will give the world the best desktop while bridging the X legacy into the future.

Comment

So, with everyone just pulling in the xkbcommon library, is there any chance that we get a decent documentation for it? I have spent considarable time trying to figure out how it works in the last few weeks creating a customized Dvorak layout with emphasis on programming (yea, I know there is stock one, I don't like it). Anyway, the XKB configuration - while being very powerfull - is also one with the worst documentation.. ever. Try to create a keyboard configuration with multiple levels and map shift level switches to normal alphanumerical keys and let them behave differently (be different shift/control keys) on various shift levels? You are in for a good ride there. Not to mention all the legacy convention in there. My head hurts.

Comment

I would be wary using it as its license isn't exactly FOSS (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flora_License).
                  That Wikipedia article is bullshit. The only provision in question is the patent grant for certified implementations. But aside from Apache's no other BSD-like license even grants any patents at all, so that's not really a problem unless it's highly likely that the code uses patented techniques.
                  Flora License is also only used in a handful of Tizen components.

Comment

Originally posted by jalyst View Post
                    It certainly changed to one with far less official emphasis, & subsequently EFL was jettisoned (somewhat unceremoniously) in favour of C++.
                    Due to lack of a public roadmap and basic schedule it was uncertain for fans of Tizen whether Bada featurephone operating system takes center stage for Samsung's Tizen as the popular rumors say. With the final 2.0 release important milestone of the merge has been finalized. Bada's "Open Services Pl...

Unless things have changed quite a bit since the end of February...
                    That is your interpretation of what happened. The EFL APIs were superseded by an API that is more geared towards mobile development with proper application life cycle management for mobile devices i.e. the OSP framework that was used with Bada. There is even a graphical UI builder in the SDK for OSP applications. There is no reduced emphasis on the native framework now. It is even more complete than the web runtime framework and is as well documented. You can check it out: https://developer.tizen.org/document...cover_page.htm

All sample WRT apps in the source tree also have OSP equivalents and some EFL equivalents.

A side note, EFL is still present in Tizen, it is used as the backend to the OSP.

You can find all the info you could want about tizen on the tizen.org website or one of their community websites, no need to rely on opinions posted on slashdot.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                      That Wikipedia article is bullshit. The only provision in question is the patent grant for certified implementations. But aside from Apache's no other BSD-like license even grants any patents at all, so that's not really a problem unless it's highly likely that the code uses patented techniques.
                      Flora License is also only used in a handful of Tizen components.
                      However insignificant you see it, the patent grant for certain implementations puts further restrictions on what a developer is allowed to do, and as such the OSI has still not approved it as an open source license. These restrictions would also make those components licensed under the Flora license to be GPL incompatible, which would stop that code being used in a majority of FOSS projects.

Furthermore, the Tizen SDK ships under an even more restrictive license, here: https://developer.tizen.org/ko/node/1279
                      The integration of closed source Bada components doesn't help the situation either.

Comment

Working...
                      X