Thread: Enlightenment On Wayland Still Being Done

Default Enlightenment On Wayland Still Being Done

Phoronix: Enlightenment On Wayland Still Being Done

A lot of Linux desktop users are looking forward to the full port of the Enlightenment desktop to Wayland...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQxNjE

i like to see more Info on the Wayland Port or Even Xwayland -_-

"Most interestingly and importantly, Iíve CLOSED the feature addition window for E18 to start getting ready for our target release date in July of 2023. Thatís right, the E18 release is coming: NBD"

Quote Originally Posted by LinuxGamer View Post
    i like to see more Info on the Wayland Port or Even Xwayland -_-

"Most interestingly and importantly, Iíve CLOSED the feature addition window for E18 to start getting ready for our target release date in July of 2023. Thatís right, the E18 release is coming: NBD"
    E people have accounts in Phoronix so they might chime in and answer questions.

I was wrong in the other topic and thought all the word done by devilhorns was for a standalone compositor.

Quote Originally Posted by 89c51 View Post
    E people have accounts in Phoronix so they might chime in and answer questions.

I was wrong in the other topic and thought all the word done by devilhorns was for a standalone compositor.
    i really like to know if E19 is going to have full Wayland Support and seeing how it look's like E18 missed the Window for Full Wayland

"Enlightenment 0.18

Complete support for rendering Wayland Client applications inside the existing X11 Compositor
    Provides a Wayland Shell for use by Wayland Client applications
    Current work is progressing toward a Wayland-Only version "

or if it's going to be E18 looks like we're going to get HL3 around the time of E19 seeing how the release date was 2023 for E18

https://phab.enlightenment.org/w/wayland/

Quote Originally Posted by LinuxGamer View Post
    i really like to know if E19 is going to have full Wayland Support and seeing how it look's like E18 missed the Window for Full Wayland
    They're implementing everything the wayland protocol has going. It's just that it's currently missing stuff like de-fullscreen and minimizing... I suppose once the library has it, it will be literally a matter of a dozen lines of code to implement and release a point release for. Assuming nothing unusual happens of course...

Personally, I've always assumed the reason the wayland devs are holding off on those "features" is because they want them done client side. Minimizing for instance is just treating the desktop like a regular window and placing it over other windows. Not too sure about fullscreen anymore... But I see nothing has really been done in weston regarding those problems so beats me...

Quote Originally Posted by c117152 View Post
    Personally, I've always assumed the reason the wayland devs are holding off on those "features" is because they want them done client side. Minimizing for instance is just treating the desktop like a regular window and placing it over other windows. Not too sure about fullscreen anymore... But I see nothing has really been done in weston regarding those problems so beats me...
    What i conclude is that features are hold back because the people behind it don't care much about the desktop. It doesn't seem to be a priority to get rid of X as "fast" as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by 89c51 View Post
    What i conclude is that features are hold back because the people behind it don't care much about the desktop. It doesn't seem to be a priority to get rid of X as "fast" as possible.
    This, or they're intentionally holding back key features to ensure masses don't see Wayland before it's fully baked.

Quote Originally Posted by c117152 View Post
    They're implementing everything the wayland protocol has going. It's just that it's currently missing stuff like de-fullscreen and minimizing... I suppose once the library has it, it will be literally a matter of a dozen lines of code to implement and release a point release for. Assuming nothing unusual happens of course...

maybe but client side resizing was bad if i remember