No announcement yet.

DRI API version issue: I.e. Compiz or OpenGL but not both with r300 Open Source

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DRI API version issue: I.e. Compiz or OpenGL but not both with r300 Open Source

Howdy, since the document drop and all the hard work thereafter, I'm nearly 90% satisfied with the open source driver.

Right now my biggest issue is that if I use mesa from git (specifically a newer r300_dri.so), I get:
    Code:
    (EE) AIGLX error: dlsym for __driCreateNewScreen_20050727 failed (/usr/lib/dri/r300_dri.so: undefined symbol: __driCreateNewScreen_20050727)
    (EE) AIGLX: reverting to software rendering
    when X.org starts. However, glxinfo says direct rendering works, and I get all the benefits of working OpenGL. Of course as AIGLX isn't able to hook in, Compiz doesn't work. If I use an older r300_dri.so I get AIGLX to work, but glxinfo says direct rendering is not enabled. OpenGL seems to work, but its not as fast / reliable due to the older mesa driver.

I know the solution is to rebuild my X server against the newer mesa tree, which sadly I am unable to do. I keep getting:
    Code:
    make[5]: *** No rule to make target `../../../../hw/xfree86/common/xf86cvt.c', needed by `cvt-xf86cvt.o'.  Stop.
    Just wondering if any devs out there had a solution, or if Debian was planning a binary release of a newer X server. I'm stuck running 1.4.1~git20080131-1, but in the past month there have been some massive changes.

Besides the above issue, my only qualm with the OSS driver is speed.

Originally posted by Tillin9 View Post
    Howdy, since the document drop and all the hard work thereafter, I'm nearly 90% satisfied with the open source driver.

Right now my biggest issue is that if I use mesa from git (specifically a newer r300_dri.so), I get:
    Code:
    (EE) AIGLX error: dlsym for __driCreateNewScreen_20050727 failed (/usr/lib/dri/r300_dri.so: undefined symbol: __driCreateNewScreen_20050727)
    (EE) AIGLX: reverting to software rendering
    when X.org starts. However, glxinfo says direct rendering works, and I get all the benefits of working OpenGL. Of course as AIGLX isn't able to hook in, Compiz doesn't work. If I use an older r300_dri.so I get AIGLX to work, but glxinfo says direct rendering is not enabled. OpenGL seems to work, but its not as fast / reliable due to the older mesa driver.

I know the solution is to rebuild my X server against the newer mesa tree, which sadly I am unable to do. I keep getting:
    Code:
    make[5]: *** No rule to make target `../../../../hw/xfree86/common/xf86cvt.c', needed by `cvt-xf86cvt.o'.  Stop.
    Just wondering if any devs out there had a solution, or if Debian was planning a binary release of a newer X server. I'm stuck running 1.4.1~git20080131-1, but in the past month there have been some massive changes.

Besides the above issue, my only qualm with the OSS driver is speed.
    As you know, you need a more recent X server. Debian testing should have a recent enough X server for mesa git to work properly.

Comment

glisse, do you think the need for the newer server is a consequence of some of the recent changes ?

Are you saying that 1.4.1 is "too old" ? That seems like it could be a problem...
      Test signature

Comment

Basically only Xserver 1.3 or newer is a requirement. Maybe your system is missing development packages?

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

To anwser bridgman's question from the other thread, I get the API issue running the stock X server from Debian testing (from package xserver-xorg-core version 1.4.1~git20080131-1), which is a 1.4.1 X server.

I don't fully understand how X and mesa are intertwined, but I can see X pulling dependencies from the mesa tree when GLX items are being compiled. Since the API issue manifests in the GLX or AIGLX component, I'm thinking that the issue isn't that 1.4.1 isn't new enough, but that Debian's 1.4.1 was built against an older mesa tree and the API was somehow changed in the last month. While I attempted to get the latest X server from git (so I could get all the improvements there too ), I believe I could in theory just compile myself a new 1.4.1 to get around the API issue.

As far as the second item, that I cannot successfully compile a working X serer for git, I'm assuming I'm missing a development package, or not doing something properly. I'm following the instructions here: http://wiki.x.org/wiki/CompileXserverManually but the Xserver ./autogen.sh doesn't given me any errors something is missing.

As I'm new to this, is there a better way to compile a new Xserver? What procedure do you guys use to test new code?

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            glisse, do you think the need for the newer server is a consequence of some of the recent changes ?

Are you saying that 1.4.1 is "too old" ? That seems like it could be a problem...
            1.4.1 should be fine, i would need to look at the code to checkout. Tilin9 must have one component not properly installed as a recent X should ask for __driCreateNewScreen_20070105, maybe you messed up somehow your Xorg install by trying to build your own xserver. I suggest you keep with debian package as they should work fine (packager problem ) Note that current git have bumped to __driCreateNewScreen_20080226, if my memory serve me well, so you need an xserver from git.

John i guess your concern if about supporting old X server with upcoming dri r500 driver. I would say just to not bother as this such things would be painful. Anyway people would need to upgrade their kernel (well at least drm) so why not their xorg userspace too .

Comment

I just thought that if 1.4.1 was too old then pretty much every X server out there would be too old
              Test signature

Comment

Working...
              X