Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3.10 Gets Photos App, Clutter On Wayland

Phoronix: GNOME 3.10 Gets Photos App, Clutter On Wayland

The GNOME 3.9.4 development release was made available this week with many changes to its desktop stack ahead of the official GNOME 3.10 release in September. With this release, GNOME is in better shape when running with Wayland...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

so you can run full wayland now?

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
      As per: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wayland#GTK.2B

you need to set the GDK_BACKEND and CLUTTER_BACKEND environment variables to "wayland" then maybe
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
        As per: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wayland#GTK.2B

you need to set the GDK_BACKEND and CLUTTER_BACKEND environment variables to "wayland" then maybe
        far as i know you can get all that in Debian too i want to see Gnome/Wayland running

i been working hard on my own Project's so i dont have a lot of time the sucky part was my network has been down for a few day's...

i did have full wayland running on Arch Linux on a AMD card i'm going to Test out xMir too

Comment

Hope the Wayland support is in great shape!

Looking forwards to it!

Comment

Clutter On Wayland
            ... and I thought wayland was started to do away with all the clutter
            I think I have to hide now to prevent severe beatings ^^

Comment

Originally posted by YoungManKlaus View Post
              ... and I thought wayland was started to do away with all the clutter
              I think I have to hide now to prevent severe beatings ^^
              Nah, it's a good joke

Comment

has any one been testing it?

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
                  To fully run GNOME (so not individual applications) under Wayland, at least the following is required:
                  1. GDM running under Wayland and being able to start X sessions still
                  2. GNOME shell running under Wayland as well as X
                  3. GNOME shell Wayland being able to run X applications
                  4. XWayland needs to work properly, otherwise you're really limited in the amount of applications you can run

Note: Above is just the basics! There is a Wayland branch for GNOME shell, but for full support you want GNOME shell to be able to run under Wayland as well as X.

For real support, way more things need fixing:
                  1. Webkit under Wayland
                  2. Sub surfaces (seems to be ok now)
                  3. Wacom tablet support (poor atm, seems to need new a protocol)
                  4. All kinds of things like clipboard management, xrandr, input devices (maybe a new libevdev which can be shared across compositors and can be used by Mir), etc
                  5. colour support, should be working already

For individual applications, about 65% of the official GNOME applications already work under Wayland. See https://wiki.gnome.org/Wayland/Applications.

Comment

Originally posted by bkor View Post
                    1. GDM running under Wayland and being able to start X sessions still

Speaking of which. Could someone explain the situation with wayland and login/display managers?

Comment

Working...
                    X