Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade to i5-4600K, lots of pain

Hello guys,

Sooo, i had my server core-i7 920. it is a heater, kid you not the room is HOT!, so i decided it was time to put it to rest. Got my new mobo+cpu, i5-4600K, ASROCK z88 extreme6. I had my ubuntu 12.04 install on it i just swaped the mobo and that was it.

Of course nothing works. but after a week of tweaking i got my dual monitor setup up and running after installing xorg from xorg-edgers ppa and the lts raring kernel as suggested by the ppa docs, 3.8 i am running now.

Now, there are a few things still missing, and i wonder if any of you guys could provide some guidance:

1.- NO hdmi audio, as a matter of fact, no audio at all, the alsamixer shows only spidif control.
    1.- starting glxgears gives me an error Bad device ID 0x41XXX , but i can play videos on vlc and 3d seems to work (dri yes on glxinfo ) for some scenarios.
    1.- mplayer is not accelerating video output, if i use mplayer -vo gl2 or gl it crashes, on my old rig i had an nvida card which had vdpau enabled, how can i get mplayer to work again?

everything else looks good so far, but still have ways to go until i can reach the same level of confidence i had on the old rig, the experiment has helped to reduce watts from 530 to 210!!, which is great, performance looks faster but haven't ran the phoronix test suite yet.

Thanks!

Dude, consider upgrading your Ubuntu to 13.04 or even 13.10. 12.04 is from more than a year before the Haswell launch. You can run your server-related stuff in a virtual machine where you can keep the 12.04.

BTW, you don't have ECC memory, so by definition you cannot trust that machine.

Comment

Originally posted by kobblestown View Post
      Dude, consider upgrading your Ubuntu to 13.04 or even 13.10. 12.04 is from more than a year before the Haswell launch. You can run your server-related stuff in a virtual machine where you can keep the 12.04.
      Exactly! Haswell wasn't even around when 12.04 was released. If you want something stable, you can build on top of 13.04 plus a 3.10 kernel, see my post here (working great for me):

Technical support and discussion of the open-source xf86-video-intel driver and other Intel Linux software projects.

Comment

Working...
      X