Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Alpha 6

Phoronix: Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Alpha 6

The final alpha release for Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron is now available. Among the features that are available to Ubuntu 8.04 users are Firefox 3 Beta 3, the Vinagre VNC client, PolicyKit, PulseAudio, improved Virtualization capabilities, and even improved memory protection. Ubuntu 8.04 will use the Linux 2.6.24 kernel with X.Org 7.3 and GNOME 2.22.0. Ubuntu 8.04 Alpha 6 is accompanied by new alpha builds for Kubuntu, Kubuntu-KDE4, Edubuntu, Ubuntu JeOS, Xubuntu, Gobuntu, and Ubuntu Studio. The final release of Ubuntu 8.04 is planned for April 24 and it will be an LTS (Long Term Support) release.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I actually like the new theme & wallpaper.

Comment

No joke, the desktop image is actually something that stands out from the previous ones in large way. I'm sure this will be something that some people won't like, but I'm impressed so far with the look.

EDIT: I like the updated layout of Rhythmbox as also.
      Last edited by joshuapurcell; 07 March 2008, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Same here, I really like the new Ubuntu 8.04 theme
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Kubuntu's background is ok, but Ubuntu uses Gnome which I dislike. The GUI is maybe ok, but the default keyboard settings are really stupid - especially if you want to use mc with the gnome terminal. Of course I know that these could be changed, but the out-of-the-box experience is pretty bad for console users...

Comment

I think it's a kernel issue, because neither a freshly burned Ubuntu disc nor a compiled 2.6.24 kernel is able to load properly on my machine. Both hang on the hardware driver loading part. Don't think it's a problem with the video card either. Anyone with a SB600 (I'm using a 580X AMD board) chip out there that can confirm this for me?

Comment

I told the developers already about the problem to disable the amd74xx module - this makes really trouble and is not needed as pata_amd replaces it and is also there. I don't like legacy ide drivers at all, as most of the new pata ones work fine - the via82cxxx is also not needed. What I really dislike about U is that you can tell em everything and they don't do something until you write a bug report in launchpad. Maybe they think if something breaks you can point to the bug and write it was not my idea, it was the other one...
              Last edited by Kano; 07 March 2008, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                I told the developers already about the problem to disable the amd74xx module - this makes really trouble and is not needed as pata_amd replaces it and is also there. I don't like legacy ide drivers at all, as most of the new pata ones work fine - the via82cxxx is also not needed. What I really dislike about U is that you can tell em everything and they don't do something until you write a bug report in launchpad. Maybe they think if something breaks you can point to the bug and write it was not my idea, it was the other one...

Can that amd74xx module be easily disabled if I compile my own kernel? If so, where should I look for it? I just hope that whatever is causing this is fixed by the time Hardy is out.

Comment

It can be easyly disabled, but you need to install it first because the current initramfs code does not support a blacklist option. Here are 2 examples:

AMD:
                  echo blacklist via82cxxx > /etc/modprobe.d/custom-blacklist

VIA:
                  echo blacklist amd74xx > /etc/modprobe.d/custom-blacklist

Then:

update-initramfs -u

Note: you can not do that with a 2.6.22 kernel, only 2.6.24 has the needed pata driver!

Comment

Originally posted by joshuapurcell View Post
                    No joke, the desktop image is actually something that stands out from the previous ones in large way. I'm sure this will be something that some people won't like, but I'm impressed so far with the look.
                    No kidding... It's...striking. That's the best way to describe it.

I kind of like it on first blush. Not to mention that you can ALWAYS change it all up anyhow... >:-)

Comment

Working...
                    X