Leadwerks Engine Will Be Coming To Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by codeape View Post
    No disrespect, but you should go back in time to 1991 and stay there or maybe you should switch OS and start using some conservative stuff like OpenBSD or something. Linux has always advanced and that is one of many reasons why it is so awesome to use Linux. Linux will always stay open and hopefully many of the things running on top of Linux will keep on being open. However, if someone wants to port some proprietary software to Linux, why complain? Don't use it if you do not like paying for it.

Who are you to tell people what OS they should run?

I have developed software for Linux since 1998 all my private coding is under Free BSD license because I like to share. I do not expect everybody to share.
    I subscribe all of this.
    I like Open Source software i really do, but i hate those hardcore fans to it how can't see that for linux to grow needs the help of Closed Source
    This help will not change the openess of the linux.

Look at steam for example, because of Steam and humble bundleAMD and NVidia or even Intel, have been supporting a lot the drivers, games have being arriving to it, engines are getting ported, openCL support gets better and better.
    All of that because of a little Closed source Software.

Comment

Originally posted by codeape View Post
      No disrespect, but you should go back in time to 1991 and stay there or maybe you should switch OS and start using some conservative stuff like OpenBSD or something. Linux has always advanced and that is one of many reasons why it is so awesome to use Linux. Linux will always stay open and hopefully many of the things running on top of Linux will keep on being open. However, if someone wants to port some proprietary software to Linux, why complain? Don't use it if you do not like paying for it.

Who are you to tell people what OS they should run?

I have developed software for Linux since 1998 all my private coding is under Free BSD license because I like to share. I do not expect everybody to share.
      Just look at Android.
      It is Linux, it is built on free open source software.
      And it is a disaster!
      You cant find any free open source software, all you see is proprietary, commercial payapps and adware.

Look at OS X and Windows, barely any free software.

Linux and BSD are the last free software bastions left.
      With proprietary software on Linux, it will kill free open source software community and the software ecosystem. As proprietary software on Linux increase, free open source software will decrease.

Proprietary software is a cancer, it is a poison. It will poison our software ecosystem.

The only really good thing about Linux is free open source software.
      OS X and Windows 8 are technologically superior.
      Windows 8 with Universal Audio Architecture (UAA) works flawlessly, no skips and freezes and problems like ALSA and PulseAudio. Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM) is rock solid stable, it recovers from GPU locks, and can reload graphics drivers without reboot. DirectX is superior to OpenGL, it is much more modern and nicer to program in, OpenGL is very legacy. The .NET Framework is beautifully well-designed and far superior to Java.
      OS X is Unix done right. If you use Linux for the Unix parts, then look at OS X, its sleek, stunningly beautiful, well integrated, and everything.

Comment

Originally posted by ObscureAngelPT View Post
        I subscribe all of this.
        I like Open Source software i really do, but i hate those hardcore fans to it how can't see that for linux to grow needs the help of Closed Source
        Linux does not need to grow.
        Why would it need to grow? Why should it have a higher market share?

If you're happy with using Windows, then stick to Windows.
        If you're happy with Linux, then keep on using Linux.

It does not need to grow!

It is not Teen Idol, it is not a popularity contest.
        Use whatever works for you, and stop caring that it should grow.
        It is not Linux mission to grow, it is not its mission to be the most used operating system in the world.

I use Linux, and for me, I don't think it needs to grow.
        I don't give a shit if anyone else use Linux or not. Works fine for me. Doesn't need to grow.

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
          idTech4 and Torque are sub-par engines. There is a reason both have been tossed over the wall to the Open Source crowd (note that neither was produced by a FOSS development model): they're commercially irrelevant. If either were still good enough to sell licenses with you can bet they'd both still be proprietary. I'd rather see a cheap proprietary engine you can make quality games with than a bazillion Free engines you can make only mediocre games with.
          If there were made using FLOSS model they will be much better, because FLOSS model is superior to proprietary. Game developers rarely use this model, because their bosses are too selfish and because some third party software licenses don't allow to use it.

Comment

I put my 100 bucks in...

Up to now there have been a few good options when it comes to building games on Linux. Unigine is the one I am most familiar with. It's good to see competition.

As for the it's not foss thing... I like foss software, I use a lot of it, I am happy to donate time & money to make it better...

Only using foss software is an interesting challenge but I don't see how that really helps Foss software.

Comment

Originally posted by kayosiii View Post
              As for the it's not foss thing... I like foss software, I use a lot of it, I am happy to donate time & money to make it better...

Only using foss software is an interesting challenge but I don't see how that really helps Foss software.
              It is taking an ideological stand.

If everyone refused to use proprietary software and only chose to use free software, then the proprietary developers would have the choice of either go under or to adopt the free software model.

Linux is our sandbox, and if they want to play in our sandbox then they should share toys.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

If everyone refused to use proprietary software and only chose to use free software, then the proprietary developers would have the choice of either go under or to adopt the free software model.

Linux is our sandbox, and if they want to play in our sandbox then they should share toys.
                Here's the thing about being open. If you're going to be truly open then you have to be open to everyone, even those that don't share your ideologies or practices. The moment you try to force people to adopt a certain ideology you are no longer open, you've become a fascist.

Comment

Originally posted by sirdilznik View Post
                  Here's the thing about being open. If you're going to be truly open then you have to be open to everyone, even those that don't share your ideologies or practices. The moment you try to force people to adopt a certain ideology you are no longer open, you've become a fascist.
                  A host needs an immune system to defend from parasites and disease.

A country needs a constitution to protect it.

A system needs checks and balances and verification of integrity.

Comment

Originally posted by Artemis3 View Post
                    Well they managed to get the funds, but their crowdfunding should have been to open source the engine, not simply port it.

Then they could use the money do develop their next generation engine, and eventually repeat the process to open source that and go work with the next-next generation, etc.
                    The big thing here is that they're not only porting the engine, but also the development tools. So instead of developing the game assets in Windows, compiling for Linux, rebooting, finding out that you screwed something up, and then having to go back to windows to fix it, you can: Develop the whole thing in Linux.

That's a pretty big improvement for game developers.

Yes, we've got idTech3/4, but that's the engines... The big thing holding back games for Linux has been the platform capabilities (graphics, audio, control), market share, and the tools to create games.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

My two options are use Linux, binary nVidia drivers and a commercial game engine or use Windows. Which option sounds more open to you. Unless you can find me FOSS Drivers that support OpenGL 4+ and are competitive with windows performance and a game engine that is in the ballpark feature wise with Cryengine I don't have a third option.

Spending time and energy making FOSS better is what will win the war if you want to call it that. Insisting that everybody should use FOSS software all the time doesn't really do much in my experience except add noise to the conversation and scare off people who would otherwise benefit from and benefit the FOSS Community.

Comment

Working...
                      X