Desura Acquired By Linden Lab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
    The second biggest after Steam (and completely DRM free with that) is really GOG. So when they'll start selling Linux games they'll become the leader in this aspect. So far, they aren't rushing to do it, but I think they might do it during this year, and that would be a real game changer.
    If GOG ever does get into Linux, it will certainly be for a small subset of games. They aren't going to port over their entire library, that is completely unfeasible for such a small team.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
      If GOG ever does get into Linux, it will certainly be for a small subset of games. They aren't going to port over their entire library, that is completely unfeasible for such a small team.
      Obviously they won't port their whole (Windows games) library. They'll just start selling games with existing Linux ports. Though nothing prevents them to work on some ports like Humble Bundle did - they have resources to do it. But in this aspect (a small subset) they aren't any different than Steam, which also has only a very tiny subset of their catalog available in native Linux versions.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyber Killer View Post
        Which is their second ruined chance - they opened the code and stopped developing it by themselves counting on the community to do all the work. And the code is a mess of wxwidgets and loads of dependencies, just compiling it is a chore not to mention coding anything.
        I am not sure when you did the lst compile, but the current state allows you to compile it with two or one command fully. I've worked on the cmake port of desurium and got the feeling it is much better than what was there before.

But you are right with your first point. There isn't any developer support from desura. So the community (which is nearly me only) can't do much stuff, because they have other things to do, as I am working full time 40h a week I can't find much time for desurium.

If I would had this time, I'd implemted much stuff, but this counts for everybody involved in desruium.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
          Though nothing prevents them to work on some ports like Humble Bundle did - they have resources to do it.
          Well, nothing preventing them except for Shaddim, trolling that GOG thread so hard it's almost painful to visit it

Sometimes I wonder how much of GOG's attitude is them truly uncertain about how to do it right & in a profitable way, and how much is them visiting that thread, reading his BS and thinking that we're all a bunch of crazy people...

Comment

Originally posted by karolherbst View Post
            I am not sure when you did the lst compile, but the current state allows you to compile it with two or one command fully. I've worked on the cmake port of desurium and got the feeling it is much better than what was there before.

But you are right with your first point. There isn't any developer support from desura. So the community (which is nearly me only) can't do much stuff, because they have other things to do, as I am working full time 40h a week I can't find much time for desurium.

If I would had this time, I'd implemted much stuff, but this counts for everybody involved in desruium.
            You're work is awesome, Karol. I use the RC almost exclusively now, and just having the crash-on-download bugs fixed is wonderful. I'd be pretty happy if we could get that version out there, as it's enormously better already. I only wish that the directory structure hadn't changed at all so that it's easy to switch back and forth (and to update from one version to another), but as it stands, there would need to be some kind of migration utility.

Comment

Originally posted by jaggers View Post
              I only wish that the directory structure hadn't changed at all so that it's easy to switch back and forth (and to update from one version to another), but as it stands, there would need to be some kind of migration utility.
              cmake option: -DDIR_TYPE=PORTABLE

this way it behaves like the official client, but you can't install desurium system wide anymore. We have also a xdg (~/.config/ ~/.local/share/ ~/.cache/ ...) and single (~/.desura), where single is default for desurium and portable for desura.

Comment

Originally posted by karolherbst View Post

Sorry if it sounded disrespectfully, I am really thankful for the work being done on Desurium, though the lack of new releases does't help to drive interest from the rest of the community.

I looked at the code when it was first shown, I gasped at what I saw and lost interest. I saw Desurium in one of the opensuse repos a few months back and I tried running it, but much functionality was missing.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyber Killer View Post
                  Sorry if it sounded disrespectfully, I am really thankful for the work being done on Desurium, though the lack of new releases does't help to drive interest from the rest of the community.

I looked at the code when it was first shown, I gasped at what I saw and lost interest. I saw Desurium in one of the opensuse repos a few months back and I tried running it, but much functionality was missing.
                  Yeah I am aware of that. But I think since 0.8.0_rc10 most of the stuff should be work the same. If there are any issues left bugs are always welcomed

The thing with the release is a bit complicated. We decided to make the first real release after we cleared some license stuff with desura, this took some time. Now with this Acquisition things changed, so I would rather stay with the current license than changing it.

Comment

Actually, a large portion of their library runs on DOSBox, combined with games that already have ports you have a pretty decent selection.

Comment

Even a wine wrapper would be a significant step, not sure about the legality though. Besides, some of their really old stuff works via Dosbox.

Comment

Working...
                      X