Wayland, Weston 1.2 Release Candidate Are Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
    Multi-seat support was in X since forever and a day.
    not in a good way at all it was horrible

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
      OK so which major distro uses Wayland 1.0 or 1.1? Hahaha...
      Why would Phoronix (or any site like it) not report on something until it was released in a major distro? How dumb would it be if Ubuntu 14.04 came out with Mir and Phoronix had its first article on Mir then ("Oh yeah, Canonical's been developing this display server called Mir for a couple years, but we haven't told you about it because BO$$ doesn't like news blurbs about software that's not a default in a major distro..")

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
        not in a good way at all it was horrible
        Are you sure you aren't just confusing multiseat with multimonitor? Because X11 was quite good at multiseat. As good as single seat.

EDIT: Also, Fedora, I'm not sure which version, the latest as of mid 2009 I guess, worked out of the box in a nice way with KDE and two monitors in a friend's computer. He's a Windows power user and was quite pleased in that aspect.

EDIT2: I stand corrected, just watched the video in it's a brand new beast compared to what I knew as multi seat support. This one can be several inputs on a single screen. Weird.
        Last edited by mrugiero; 10 July 2013, 10:59 PM.

Comment

Are you sure you aren't just confusing multiseat with multimonitor? Because X11 was quite good at multiseat. As good as single seat.

EDIT: Also, Fedora, I'm not sure which version, the latest as of mid 2009 I guess, worked out of the box in a nice way with KDE and two monitors in a friend's computer. He's a Windows power user and was quite pleased in that aspect.
          And Fedora 19 is a million times better with Multi-monitor support now that theyve integrated KScreen.
          All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

After seeing this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO2L_ihO_rI
            Do toolkits like SDL have to support this? For example: It would be really cool to have a map editor for a game where two people could edit the same map together at the same computer. Is something like that already possible on wayland or not?

Comment

Originally posted by intellivision View Post
              Both are based off the same codebase
              Actually no. Tizen Handset is derived from Samsung Linux Platform (SLP), while Tizen IVI is just a renamed MeeGo.
              Tizen Handset is the domain of Samsung and Intel takes care of Tizen IVI.

There is a gradual process to unify both codebases (ie. thowing out proprietary SLP components and replace them with FOSS ones already used in IVI) but at least in Tizen 2.x the process is far from finished. For example Tizen IVI 2.x still uses Qt. OTOH oFono https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OFono is not used by Tizen Handset 2.x.

IVI is dependant on Tizen Mobile's success
              And again you are wrong. Tizen IVI is the GENIVI Alliance's reference implementation. Therefore Tizen IVI already is successful in IVI markets and serves as upstream for IVI platforms by Continental, Bosch, Accenture, LG, NVidia, Freescale, and some others you probably never even heard of.
              If you have a car with an infotainment system, chances are high it runs a MeeGo/Tizen IVI variant.

Comment

EDIT2: I stand corrected, just watched the video in it's a brand new beast compared to what I knew as multi seat support. This one can be several inputs on a single screen. Weird.
                multiseat or multimonitor it was the software added to it making it work

any time you updated your Driver's on a non KDE desktop and did not have Software Installed to handle the update X end's up dead, from what it look's like is here is you will no longer need hack's to make it work fine no more broken X on Driver update's

and what Video?
                Last edited by LinuxGamer; 11 July 2013, 10:14 AM. Reason: typo's

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
                  was just in case someone with less knowledge than you were curious too but well most likely ubutrolls will just pass it unread and post "LOLz Westonz dontz minimize", so not sure how much of it is wasted time but well glad your doubt got cleared
                  I found the idiots walkthrough quite usefull - so, thanks
                  Last edited by UraniumDeer; 11 July 2013, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Heh, it's cute to see that some people still think Tizen has a future ahead of it when it clearly doesn't.
                    It's not FOSS, it doesn't know what toolkits its supposed to use, jumping from EFL to HTML5 and now an Android compatibility layer coupled with a closed source bada compatibility layer.
                    I mean, it's nice that they're trying out Wayland and all but it's not going to survive more than two years with the competition from better platforms such as Firefox OS, Jolla and Ubuntu Mobile.
                    Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
                    Even though you are right you need to understand that you are on phoronix, which always has the basement dwellers ready to root for the underdog. The more obscure a linux distro is the more they like it. The less GUI it has even better. So of course they think tizen has a future. They hate android and iphone just because they are popular.

its so cute when people spout pure speculation as if it is fact.

And BTW, I don't hate android I love my galaxy s2 with android 4.1. Samsung's operating systems, such as bada have had success in asian markets, and I speculate tizen would at least have similar success in that market. The US market is definitely tougher to crack, but I don't see how tizen has any less chance than ubuntu phone, sailfish, or firefox os, especially with a force like samsung behind it.
                    Last edited by bwat47; 11 July 2013, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
                      its so cute when people spout pure speculation as if it is fact.

And BTW, I don't hate android I love my galaxy s2 with android 4.1. Samsung's operating systems, such as bada have had success in asian markets, and I speculate tizen would at least have similar success in that market. The US market is definitely tougher to crack, but I don't see how tizen has any less chance than ubuntu phone, sailfish, or firefox os, especially with a force like samsung behind it.
                      tizen has like 4mil going into Development atm

"Intel and Samsung are luring in developers for Tizen with prize money for apps.
                      To reel in developers for the new Tizen mobile platform, Intel and Samsung are providing $4.04 million in rewards to developers who contribute to the project via the Tizen App Challenge"

Here are the top technology stories of the day. Learn about cool new products and technologies and get important updates about things you own. | Tom's Guide

and yes it's going to use Wayland

Comment

Working...
                      X