Wayland, Weston 1.2 Release Candidate Are Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
    Even though you are right you need to understand that you are on phoronix, which always has the basement dwellers ready to root for the underdog. The more obscure a linux distro is the more they like it. The less GUI it has even better. So of course they think tizen has a future. They hate android and iphone just because they are popular.
    Dont you love it when trolls try and claim that everyone else are trolls?

Comment

Is there a way to tell Wayland as a full system compositor on Fedora 19?

I have seen instructions that open a window to test applications but that seems suboptimal for anything other than testing.

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post
        Is there a way to tell Wayland as a full system compositor on Fedora 19?

I have seen instructions that open a window to test applications but that seems suboptimal for anything other than testing.
        Wayland itself doesn't really "do" anything. Wayland is basically just a composting and IPC protocol/api. To do anything with wayland you need a compositor that implements the wayland protocol, or a "wayland compositor". Weston is the "referance" wayland compositor. Gnome-shell/mutter and kwin are being ported to be able to run as wayland compositors, once that happens you will be able to use wayland with a DE.

gnome-shell should be able to run as a wayland compositor by gnome 3.10 (which will be in fedora 20). Fedora 19's gnome-shell cannot yet run as a wayland compositor, so its not really possible to do anything with wayland other than testing weston in fedora 19. Hopefully in fedora 20 their will be an optional wayland session, I don't see why their wouldn't be considering gnome-shell should have initial wayland support in 3.10, and gdm will be able to launch wayland sessions in 3.10.
        Last edited by bwat47; 11 July 2013, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
          its so cute when people spout pure speculation as if it is fact.

And BTW, I don't hate android I love my galaxy s2 with android 4.1. Samsung's operating systems, such as bada have had success in asian markets, and I speculate tizen would at least have similar success in that market. The US market is definitely tougher to crack, but I don't see how tizen has any less chance than ubuntu phone, sailfish, or firefox os, especially with a force like samsung behind it.
          Considering that Firefox OS now has more carrier and manufacturer support than Tizen, and that its own device release schedule has lapsed, I'd say that its 'success' isn't as likely as you think.
          Not to mention that key specifications in development have changed considerably from when it was conceived as a HTML5 + EFL device, then just HTML5, then HTML5 + Android + Bada.
          We just don't know what to expect from this closed, pragmatic platform.

Comment

Wayland itself doesn't really "do" anything. Wayland is basically just a composting and IPC protocol/api. To do anything with wayland you need a compositor that implements the wayland protocol, or a "wayland compositor". Weston is the "referance" wayland compositor. Gnome-shell/mutter and kwin are being ported to be able to run as wayland compositors, once that happens you will be able to use wayland with a DE.

gnome-shell should be able to run as a wayland compositor by gnome 3.10 (which will be in fedora 20). Fedora 19's gnome-shell cannot yet run as a wayland compositor, so its not really possible to do anything with wayland other than testing weston in fedora 19. Hopefully in fedora 20 their will be an optional wayland session, I don't see why their wouldn't be considering gnome-shell should have initial wayland support in 3.10, and gdm will be able to launch wayland sessions in 3.10.
            With weston and xwayland you can pretty much use it for daily tasks. You could make a systemd target to boot directly into it.

Comment

FYI, mutter has already wayland support in wip/wayland branch, but from what I've seen, it seems very basic. On the GNOME Shell side, I didn't notice anything though.

I guess there is still arround month left before the code freeze, so we can hope they'll put together something before the code freezes.

Comment

Working...
              X