Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 9.2 & The R600 SB Back-End Are Good For AMD APUs

Phoronix: Mesa 9.2 & The R600 SB Back-End Are Good For AMD APUs

From the AMD A10-6800K "Richland" APU I've delivered OpenGL Linux benchmarks of the Radeon HD 8670D graphics and also compared the open-source Gallium3D performance to that of Catalyst. Catalyst still reigns supreme, but in this article are some benchmarks showing the performance between Mesa 9.1 and 9.2 Git and also when deploying the experimental R600 SB shader optimization back-end.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice, there are no regressions and some performance improvements
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

I would like to see how catalyst compares here at same conditions ( read PM).

Comment

bad

Originally posted by Drago View Post
        I would like to see how catalyst compares here at same conditions ( read PM).
        catalyst have a inputlag on source games even with 200 fps the games are unplayable

Comment

This. The only serious problem I found with free drivers is: MSAA is crap and doesn't work (full scene corruption). OTOH, the problems with Catalyst are major, and they include kernel panics, not being able to suspend + resume reliably, missing screen brightness controls (they don't work in Windows 8, work sometimes in Linux + fglrx, and work flawlessly in Linux with the free driver stack) and a horrible input lag.

I'll repeat: Fedora 19 is purring nicely in my E-450 netbook, and everyone with E-xxx APUs should switch to the free driver stack by Linux 3.11.

Comment

On related news, Wayland 1.2 RC is out.

Comment

Considering everything that has happened, I think in terms of drivers both AMD and Intel can now (or at least soon) be considered to be in similar states, now that we have dynamic power management and video acceleration for radeon chips. I wonder if this will make anyone rethink their next APU purchase, or least make their choice a lot more difficult next time.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                Phoronix: Mesa 9.2 & The R600 SB Back-End Are Good For AMD APUs

From the AMD A10-6800K "Richland" APU I've delivered OpenGL Linux benchmarks of the Radeon HD 8670D graphics and also compared the open-source Gallium3D performance to that of Catalyst. Catalyst still reigns supreme, but in this article are some benchmarks showing the performance between Mesa 9.1 and 9.2 Git and also when deploying the experimental R600 SB shader optimization back-end.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=18908
                Am I assuming correctly that this is still running with the APU running in the lowest power state?

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                  Am I assuming correctly that this is still running with the APU running in the lowest power state?
                  Looks like default clocks, which are not necessarily the lowest state but definitely pretty low.
                  Test signature

Comment

Nexuiz with dpm
                    OpenBenchmarking.org, Phoronix Test Suite, Linux benchmarking, automated benchmarking, benchmarking results, benchmarking repository, open source benchmarking, benchmarking test profiles
                    Last edited by ObiWan; 10 July 2013, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X