Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Redi44 View Post
    Aww And I thought that all the Qt/KDE haters are gone
    He's not really a KDE hater... more of an everything hater.

Comment

Originally posted by halfmanhalfamazing View Post
      It's not in "maintenance mode," and that's not what was said. KDE has over the past few releases(notably 4.9, .10, .11) put what outwardly appears like a heavier emphasis on maintenance. I know I've noticed it too via speed increases and an overall improved user experience across the board.

Coulda fooled me that KDE isn't in maintenance mode, because it certainly does to a large degree feel that way. Which if I may say so, is a good thing.

But you are right. It is under heavy development with all sorts of new features. I don't know what the devs over there are doing, but they're doing it right.
      If you'd ask me, that's really maintenance mode. What we are used to call "maintenance mode" is: let's abandon the codebase and turn it into a pile of rust. That's lack of maintenance, not maintenance mode, if you ask me.

BTW, KDE 4.x is our LTS. KDE 5 (Plasma Workspace 2 + KDE Frameworks 5 + KDE apps compiled against and ported to Qt 5) is what will carry new goodies, but the transition is going to be seamless (just like the transition between X11R6.9 and X11R7)
      Last edited by Alejandro Nova; 09 July 2013, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by halfmanhalfamazing View Post
        It's not in "maintenance mode," and that's not what was said. KDE has over the past few releases(notably 4.9, .10, .11) put what outwardly appears like a heavier emphasis on maintenance. I know I've noticed it too via speed increases and an overall improved user experience across the board.

Coulda fooled me that KDE isn't in maintenance mode, because it certainly does to a large degree feel that way. Which if I may say so, is a good thing.

But you are right. It is under heavy development with all sorts of new features. I don't know what the devs over there are doing, but they're doing it right.
        You all are just confused because you're still not using proper KDE terminology.
        To clarify:
        Parts of KDE Frameworks (kdelibs to be exact as others already noted) are in maintenance-only mode since IIRC 4.9 to concentrate on KF5.
        KDE Plasma Workspaces 1.x will be maintenance-only mode with 4.11 to concentrate on PW2.

This proposal is ONLY for KDE?s applications and a few libs that are not covered by the kdelibs binary compatibility promise.

Comment

well... this has all certainly blown into a complete mess. seems to be a pretty common problem here where everyone is anal about technicalities and generalizations. it often leads to frequent bashing about michael too, though I guess that's a discussion for another day. seriously, nobody is impressed that you know a thing or 2 about the future of kde (so anything to do with qt5, plasma 2, kde frameworks, etc) when you're using that knowledge in a way that's completely irrelevant to the discussion. it just makes you look pretentious. and yes, kde5 (WOAH LOOK OUT I'M USING TERMINOLOGY WRONG) is irrelevant to the discussion. disagreeing would be hypocritical since those of you who bring up future kde are trying so damn hard to distinguish the difference.

seriously, every other forum discussion is like this. have fun with discussions for once and stop bitching about minor details. for example, nobody should give a crap if we summarize the next generation of kde as kde5. yes, it's incorrect and yes, kde as a whole is not in maintenance mode. do you really feel proud of yourself for pointing out relatively useless trivia to put someone down over some technicalities? damn....
          Last edited by schmidtbag; 09 July 2013, 11:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alejandro Nova View Post
            BTW, KDE 4.x is our LTS. KDE 5 (Plasma Workspace 2 + KDE Frameworks 5 + KDE apps compiled against and ported to Qt 5) is what will carry new goodies
            Not sure application devs agree with you and hold off all new features for the Qt5 port.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
              Not sure application devs agree with you and hold off all new features for the Qt5 port.
              AFAIK technically both of us are right: lots of apps will compile fine for Qt4 and Qt5. Scribus (not a KDE app but a Qt one) already finished its transition to Qt 5 and is concentrating in new features.

Comment

Originally posted by Alejandro Nova View Post
                AFAIK technically both of us are right: lots of apps will compile fine for Qt4 and Qt5. Scribus (not a KDE app but a Qt one) already finished its transition to Qt 5 and is concentrating in new features.
                Applications using KDE Frameworks instead of pure Qt would obviously need to wait for KF5 before non-preview versions can be released. KF5 won't be released in 3 months and I'm pretty sure there are a bunch of app developers who have new features planned for their Qt4-based versions.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  well... this has all certainly blown into a complete mess.
                  Yes, because you're not using the correct terminology. You do realise that we need terminology in order to understand each other? So while it as forgiveable that someone said "KDE 4.11" (we can assume that they mean KDE SC 4.11), but even saying "KDE 5" makes no sense because KDE the software is going to be split into different parts. The closest assumption would be KF5, but even then it's not necessarily what the person may have in mind.

And yes, as it was pointed out, kdelibs is in maintenance mode and Plasma Desktop 1 is in maintenance mode, nothing else is. So "KDE is in maintenance mode" is completely false. It's not being picky, the sentence is just plain false.

Comment

So now bugs will get closed even faster as UNMAINTAINED. Yeah...

Comment

Originally posted by schmalzler View Post
                      So now bugs will get closed even faster as UNMAINTAINED. Yeah...
                      You haven't been paying any attention whatsoever to the discussion. They are in maintenance mode. That means, by definition, that they are being maintained. That is, bug fixes only, but no new features. So no, bugs will not be closed as unmaintained, because they are explicitly being maintained.

Comment

Working...
                      X