Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chrisb View Post
    Sounds familiar.
    No it doesn't. GTK, Qt, EFL, Gnome, KDE and Enlightenment have already announced their support for Wayland and are currently in the process of porting their software to it. Wayland is a bit like building a hydro-electric dam. There is a lot of work involved, for a long time there is this big thing that doesn't do much, but when it is finished and the valves are closed, a very large artificial lake forms and power comes from the dam. Wayland is in the stage where the closing of the valves isn't far off.

Comment

Originally posted by r_a_trip View Post
      No it doesn't. GTK, Qt, EFL, Gnome, KDE and Enlightenment have already announced their support for Wayland and are currently in the process of porting their software to it. Wayland is a bit like building a hydro-electric dam. There is a lot of work involved, for a long time there is this big thing that doesn't do much, but when it is finished and the valves are closed, a very large artificial lake forms and power comes from the dam. Wayland is in the stage where the closing of the valves isn't far off.
      I would say it is more like they are pretty much ready to close the valves, they are now mostly waiting for residents to move their homes to higher ground.
      Last edited by TheBlackCat; 10 July 2013, 07:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jmcharron View Post
        All this bickering over two pieces of vaporware... Face it, X.Org isn't going anywhere anytime soon...
        real talk,

we will still be using X ten years from now.

Comment

Originally posted by Rallos Zek View Post
          we will still be using X ten years from now.
          ... unless you are using Ubuntu (OK you might still use Xmir for any toolkit not ported to mir):

Originally posted by Ubuntu-devel graphic stack roadmap
          Ubuntu 13.10:
          XMir on Mir by default, with a fallback session to X where there is no Mir
          driver support, supported for 9 months

Ubuntu 14.04 LTS:
          XMir as default with the fallback session removed, full Mir driver support,
          traditional LTS support for 5 years
          I am wondering, both Kubuntu and Lubuntu stated they want to ship X as default in 14.04 - does that mean at 14.04, these flavours will need to ship/maintain their own X stack? As Ubuntu will not offer the fallback session anymore, only X through Xmir?

Comment

Originally posted by Yedor View Post
            ... unless you are using Ubuntu (OK you might still use Xmir for any toolkit not ported to mir):
            Unless they change their mind. Wouldn't be the first time. Also, this might only mean they won't install it by default and set the whole fallback behavior. It doesn't necessarily means they won't include it in repos.

I am wondering, both Kubuntu and Lubuntu stated they want to ship X as default in 14.04 - does that mean at 14.04, these flavours will need to ship/maintain their own X stack? As Ubuntu will not offer the fallback session anymore, only X through Xmir?
            Maintain as fix Ubuntu specific bugs, probably yes. Maintain as in do all the planning and such, they will probably just inherit Debian's packages on a custom repo.

Comment

July 11th, 2013 at 9:42 am

Finally, yes, I think Wayland is repeating the mistakes of X, and I would like to have a fast, lean, clean option that does not.

Mark
              Does anyone have an idea what he is talking about?
              Last edited by entropy; 11 July 2013, 07:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
                http://www.markshuttleworth.com/arch...comment-402807

Does anyone have an idea what he is talking about?
                im not sure but from my naive point of view i'd say that the just want a subset of what wayland is capable of. therefore its leaner and will have a couple of decisions made like possbility of using prop drivers for gamers and steam-users.

i wonder if the smoother feeling is simply half a placebo and half the use of the new mesa dev version 9.2...

Comment

Originally posted by jakubo View Post
                  im not sure but from my naive point of view i'd say that the just want a subset of what wayland is capable of.
                  therefore its leaner and will have a couple of decisions made like possbility of using prop drivers for gamers and steam-users.
                  AFAIK Wayland as a protocol is lean and well thought-out.
                  I have really no idea what Shuttleworth means when he says

"Finally, yes, I think Wayland is repeating the mistakes of X" .

i wonder if the smoother feeling is simply half a placebo and half the use of the new mesa dev version 9.2...
                  Placebo, ignorance or the usual provocation.

Then again, maybe it's just part of plan to ignite a highly emotional "discussion"
                  and tear apart the Linux community as a first step to separate from the rest.

Comment

From that same Shuttleworth blog comment, that bloddy PR non-answer answer:

QUESTION Brian: Is there a plan to go closed source at some point? Its clear that seems to be within the realm of possibility.
                    ANSWER Marc: Mir is open source ? GPL ? just like pretty much everything we do.

Comment

• From that same Shuttleworth blog comment, that bloddy PR non-answer answer:

QUESTION Brian: Is there a plan to go closed source at some point? Its clear that seems to be within the realm of possibility.
                      ANSWER Marc: Mir is open source – GPL – just like pretty much everything we do.

Comment

Working...
                      X