Mark Shuttleworth Declares Mir A Performance Win

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by valeriodean View Post
    There is someone who still cares about Mark's opinions?
    That would be a real news.
    I believe his street cred went out the window with the reversal on Wayland and "creating" Mir atop of Wayland's multi-year efforts. They painted themselves in a corner, and Mir better be all that and a bag of chips when it's delivered, or it's highly unlikely anyone's going to take Canonical seriously for long.....

Comment

Originally posted by rockmen1 View Post
      So Mr. Mark Shuttleworth your team forked wayland's code base and sync to it one a while in the future, then make some modification to suit your needs, and this is called "evolve faster than the competition"?
      Is there any proof they forked the code. They said they investigated Wayland and found it wanting, so they designed their own display server to suit the moving into mobile device market and traditional desktops.

The thing that has haunted Linux for its existence has been graphic speeds and sound. Mir and PulseAudio have now come to the rescue.

Pulse audio need more graphical means to manipulate record and play channels and their mixing, and Mir needs to be taken up by proprietary hardware makers and the future is Linux's.

Other qualities will be true colour mapping, real time sound capturing, real time interaction streaming, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Siekacz View Post
        And yet Wayland cannot display simple OpenGL apps, wheter running in XWayland or not. Mir can.
        What the hell are you talking about? Have a look at this video:

3D compositor written using the QtCompositor API (http://qt.gitorious.org/qt/qtwayland), capable of mapping input to and compositing the rendered output from...

It shows a toy-3D-wayland-compositor. It dates back to September 2012 -- nearly half a year before Mir was even announced.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Shuttleworth
          Building a graphics stack is not a decision made lightly – it’s not an afternoon’s hacking. The decision was taken based on a careful consideration of technical factors.
          Correct me if i'm wrong, but last I remember hearing Canonical spent very little time addressing the technical concerns they had of Wayland, and even less time actually discussing their concerns with the Wayland developers in an attempt to find universal solutions with the rest of the linux-desktop dev community. Mark's words here feel exactly like his post-mir blog entries... BS claims for the sake of marketing. What's sad is how effective it seems to be... I honestly wounder if bringing "Mir" to 13.10 isn't just a PR move. "Look, we made a Mir-based OS in under a year! Where's your god now, Wayland fans?".

PS. I would have posted this on the actual blog, but my last two posts there (non-offensive critisizms of Mir) where deleted and I was banned from posting on that blog entry.. I have a feeling it wasn't the automated-spam-filter that deleted them, but regardless, I'm not posting somewhere that has such rigid guidelines about leaving feedback. I purposely didn't even curse, so I'm not sure what the spam filter would have even thought was bad..
          Last edited by F i L; 09 July 2013, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by enfocomp View Post
            Mir is currently in Ubuntu 13.10, working in action. You can download the daily build and use it NOW.
            Mir isn't working on 13.10 no matter how much you want to belive this lie. There is NOTHING working native on Mir right now. The whole thing renders to an X Server.

At least KDE 4.11 Beta has a real EGL backend in KWin and doesn't use XWayland to display the entire desktop like Ubuntu does now. Something that XWayland and therefore XMir never was designed for. It's designed for legacy app support. No wonder it is slow as crap and buggy. See here: https://plus.google.com/108668411027...ts/PYkb33sL5Lj Yeah let's just say that extra mouse cursor is a feature and not a bug! Weston with legacy support through XWayland is very much usable for desktop task. In contrast to Mir it actually has usable native applications like Gtk apps (through the Wayland backend in GTK) and even some games like Doom 3 which was ported to use SDL with wayland support.

Look at the facts and don't swollow every bullshit propaganda that comes from Canonical. Tell me about all the toolkits that support Mir at the moment... Ooops there aren't any except their own QtUbuntu toolkit which is only used for their phone and tablet stuff.
            Last edited by blackout23; 09 July 2013, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
              The thing that has haunted Linux for its existence has been graphic speeds and sound. Mir and PulseAudio have now come to the rescue.
              I do not think that Lennart Poettering would terribly appreciate being considerd as hopping through a magical field hand in hand with Mark Shuttleworth. Especally since to him the future is most definitely systemd, pulseaudio, and wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by F i L View Post
                PS. I would have posted this on the actual blog, but my last two posts there (non-offensive critisizms of Mir) where deleted and I was banned from posting on that blog entry.
                Mir is a confidence trick, of course he will not tolerate anything that pops the bubble.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                  Mir isn't working on 13.10 no matter how much you want to belive this lie. There is NOTHING working native on Mir right now. The whole thing renders to an X Server ... Weston with legacy support through XWayland is very much usable for desktop task. In contrast to Mir it actually has usable native applications like Gtk apps (through the Wayland backend in GTK) and even some games like Doom 3 which was ported to use SDL with wayland support.
                  So basically this is equivalent to putting a Wine layer on top of a game release and calling it a native Linux port. Only this time it is a display server...

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
                    So basically this is equivalent to putting a Wine layer on top of a game release and calling it a native Linux port. Only this time it is a display server...
                    Mhh you're right! That's basically what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by coder543 View Post
                      The wayland guys don't have the power to do anything. No other distro cares enough about Wayland to beta test it for them, so of course it hasn't been pushed out. Canonical on the other hand, has a time frame they must meet, and they care deeply about Mir, so they're going to do whatever it takes. They think it will be past the beta stage by the time Ubuntu 13.10 is released, but they still need to have it tested in real world conditions before the LTS in the spring.

I appreciate what the wayland community is doing, but don't give them credit for making a decision they never had the power (and by extension, the temptation) to make.
                      That's funny:

Wayland has been in Fedora since 2010-11-15 . People are running GTK+ apps natively in Wayland on Fedora:

The GNOME Wiki even has the instructions:

I do find it amazing how willing people are to say things that are so utterly and completely wrong that they could check for themselves with Google and thirty seconds.

Comment

Working...
                      X