Mark Shuttleworth Declares Mir A Performance Win

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
    Maybe he meant Doom 3 which runs native on Wayland.

http://static.hackmii.com/dhewg/dhewm3_wl.webm
    intel has a lot of Demo's just for Developer's and, a lot of time's you can't see them do to NDA's and BS like that,

Comment

Originally posted by enfocomp View Post
      Considering that it was only unveiled a few months ago, and we already have a working desktop, it's doing very well IMO.
      The keyword being "unveiled". It had had already been under development in secret for a year or more before then, so don't suggest that this was all accomplished in the few months since the announcement.

Comment

Originally posted by coder543 View Post
        Maybe I'm wrong on this, but XMir runs on top of Mir, so Mir is still being used
        Sort of. Mir is there, certainly, but all it's doing is providing a single full-screen window for the X server to render to. Which means you're not testing anything, really... it doesn't need to cope with more than one window, so there could be thousands of bugs to do with overlapping windows and moving them around, and interaction with desktop components, etc, etc. It's basically just a simple pass-through layer...

Comment

Originally posted by UraniumDeer View Post
          If Mir comes out on top on all this, will Wayland die? Will the future development of the display server then be in the hands of a group of people that knows very little about the inner working of X and the creation of a displayserver?
          Is so, I wouldn't really consider it a win for Linux.
          That's a very big "if", though. Absolutely *nobody* outside of the Ubuntu community has any real interest in supporting Mir, and even within it, there's a lot of concern from groups like Kubuntu. It's never going to be picked up by other distros, for a variety of reasons including the ones you give.

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
            Most probably right now everybody hates Mir but in about 2 versions it will be good enough and since it will have a big adoption rate thanks to Ubuntu most probably the linux community will come around and make things work nicely on Mir. Of course this assumes Canonical will actually make Mir good.
            No, because it's never going to have a big adoption rate outside of Ubuntu. And nobody outside of Ubuntu really cares about Ubuntu anymore... over the years, there's been so much antagonism and deceit that few upstream projects seem to have any desire to work with them.

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
              for some reason i see wayland dominating the desktop side and Mir competing with surfaceflinger in the mobile sector[canonical priority for sure, after all make profit with linux desktop is not something you can achieve in a year], so most likely both will survive in their natural enviroment
              Sounds likely although you can bet the very survival in any shape, form and platform will be used to prove its success. And that's without even considering to which degree will Ubuntu products "compete" with Android.

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
                Mark Shuttleworth Declares Mir A Performance Win But Linux Gamer's Declares Mir A Performance Fail

I really hate to see what's going to happen to Linux gamer's, now that we have D bag's like Mark Shuttleworth who just Screwed over Linux Development just like Google did, do any of you know how hard it's going to be to get Developers on Linux now? have any of you looked at the Code in Mir? do any of you know how to read code? did any of you know Mir has Google, Wayland, and Code from Mer Project in it? Xmir is just Xwayland any ways recoded in a bad way, and Patched up from what look's like Patch's From the Wayland Mailing List, most all of Mir is just a Recode from C to C++, this is going to End up Really Bad for Linux, this is the Frist time i Hope a Linux Distro Dies R.I.P Ubuntu your Dead to me, now let's hope Linux Mint Drop's them too,

Thank you Mark Shuttleworth for MIR you D bag and Thank you for Lying About Wayland Development on Ubuntu
                Get over yourself. People writing code for Linux code against a toolkit not Mir or Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by AllLinux View Post
                  Get over yourself. People writing code for Linux code against a toolkit not Mir or Wayland.
                  Aha, a game that uses Qt or a like. 90% of Linux games use no toolkit or at least SDL.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
                    What the hell are you talking about? Have a look at this video:

3D compositor written using the QtCompositor API (http://qt.gitorious.org/qt/qtwayland), capable of mapping input to and compositing the rendered output from...

It shows a toy-3D-wayland-compositor. It dates back to September 2012 -- nearly half a year before Mir was even announced.
                    I was talking about OpenGL, not Open GL ES. Currently Wayland cannot into full Open GL.

Comment

Originally posted by Thaodan View Post
                      Aha, a game that uses Qt or a like. 90% of Linux games use no toolkit or at least SDL.
                      And guess what... SDL is a toolkit too...

Comment

Working...
                      X