No announcement yet.

Mark Shuttleworth Declares Mir A Performance Win

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did someone test mir with a non Intel igp ?
    Last time I tried Ubuntu and mir (a couple of weeks ago) radeon didn't work at all. There was the cursor of course, but the rest of the screen was completly corrupted.
    They always demo Mir on a mac book pro using intel igp but their audience is likely to include people with amd APU or dedicated radeon card...

Comment

Originally posted by coder543 View Post
      ???? What?

1984 called... they want their X Window System back.

X is going away, and soon.
      X is going away yes but not soon.... Well 1984 is running my GTX Titan, Steam Apps and Wine just fine

Comment

Originally posted by vljn View Post
        Did someone test mir with a non Intel igp ?
        Last time I tried Ubuntu and mir (a couple of weeks ago) radeon didn't work at all. There was the cursor of course, but the rest of the screen was completly corrupted.
        They always demo Mir on a mac book pro using intel igp but their audience is likely to include people with amd APU or dedicated radeon card...
        You mean corrupted like this?
        Note:  This blog post outlines upcoming changes to Google Currents for Workspace users. For information on the previous deprecation of Googl...

Also running on radeon. If Mir only really works on Intel Graphics it's one mega fail!

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
          When will you learn that marketing > tehnical? Always. Forever.
          This isn't true. Andrei Alexandrescu (C++, D, Facebook) recently gave a talk at the DConf (closing keynotes) where he talks about how Facebook beat Friendster because they focused on getting the technology right before expanding their market. Friendster kept accepting new users until the day their servers crashed for technical reasons. Canonical runs a risk of loosing reputation as a stable platform if they release Unity 8 and Mir when it's buggy and slow just to be "first", especially if it's not long until Fedora and friends are releasing native Wayland Gnome/KDE spins.

Comment

Originally posted by coder543 View Post
            You also have to deal with managing displays, whether one or many, symmetric or asymmetric. That was the "little more complicated" part I was referencing, but inputs do have to be managed as well, and surfaces were implied.
            true, let me explain myself a bit better, my exact point is XMir right now is a test of hookups and it won't affect the final product[most likely will be rewritten by that time], to the point with an easier effort you could have make SDL almost reach the current state of Xmir/Mir

technical points:
            1.) most of your points are true but those aren't handle by Mir/wayland/x11 but KMS and drm kernel interfaces, this technologies just hook up to the DRM/kms and evdev kernel interfaces[for this operations], so the same would be true for SDL that naturally handle this operation[ofc this make non sense for SDL target since is easier to hookup to wayland/X/etc instead of deal with the hurdle]
            2.) Xmir current code is using a downstream patch + hack to make X run rootish but with Unity 8 you cannot have 2 fullscreen surfaces at the same time[hardware limitation] that control the GPU. so either Unity 8 will force every application to be fullscreen[minus bars width/height passing fake resolution to X<-- Ugly ugly hack] and swtich between both[Mir/X surfaces] or take the wayland way and handle X applications rootless that will force them to touch a lot of code and maybe pull back from upstream and remake their patches[and that prolly will assume DRI3000 too] <-- this is the main reason we put our hands on our heads and ask WTF is the purpose then?

Comment

Originally posted by F i L View Post
              This isn't true. Andrei Alexandrescu (C++, D, Facebook) recently gave a talk at the DConf (closing keynotes) where he talks about how Facebook beat Friendster because they focused on getting the technology right before expanding their market. Friendster kept accepting new users until the day their servers crashed for technical reasons. Canonical runs a risk of loosing reputation as a stable platform if they release Unity 8 and Mir when it's buggy and slow just to be "first", especially if it's not long until Fedora and friends are releasing native Wayland Gnome/KDE spins.
              another gamble canonical is taken is the inherited result of suck code and not give back, they can't provide support to Mir beyond Mir specific code because they have no one that work close enough to the graphic stack and i can bet money mesa devs will ask if the bug report if it is reproducible with wayland/X[sure it matters for Intel mostly], while wayland can offer support from the guys that basically wrote then entire stack from kernel to mesa, sure this won't affect normal apps but companies like Valve or Crytek may preffer wayland simply for the fact of having Intel+community developers at hand for support and even more if steambox[will use X for now most likely, i mean after X] that i don't see gave gambling with such low level component having worked excellently with Intel OSC devs[won't recommend Mir] before.

for some reason i see wayland dominating the desktop side and Mir competing with surfaceflinger in the mobile sector[canonical priority for sure, after all make profit with linux desktop is not something you can achieve in a year], so most likely both will survive in their natural enviroment

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
                And working together on something better is our air. Deal with it.
                I would love to see how Mir is anything *together*. They didn't even shared their needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayden View Post
                  That's simply false; Wayland runs OpenGL apps just fine. As a demo, we even had Team Fortress 2 running natively under Wayland at one point.
                  you dont have any Video of it running on Wayland or Pic's do you?

Comment

Mark Shuttleworth Declares Mir A Performance Win But Linux Gamer's Declares Mir A Performance Fail

I really hate to see what's going to happen to Linux gamer's, now that we have D bag's like Mark Shuttleworth who just Screwed over Linux Development just like Google did, do any of you know how hard it's going to be to get Developers on Linux now? have any of you looked at the Code in Mir? do any of you know how to read code? did any of you know Mir has Google, Wayland, and Code from Mer Project in it? Xmir is just Xwayland any ways recoded in a bad way, and Patched up from what look's like Patch's From the Wayland Mailing List, most all of Mir is just a Recode from C to C++, this is going to End up Really Bad for Linux, this is the Frist time i Hope a Linux Distro Dies R.I.P Ubuntu your Dead to me, now let's hope Linux Mint Drop's them too,

Thank you Mark Shuttleworth for MIR you D bag and Thank you for Lying About Wayland Development on Ubuntu

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
                      you dont have any Video of it running on Wayland or Pic's do you?
                      Maybe he meant Doom 3 which runs native on Wayland.

Comment

Working...
                      X