Canonical Puts Out Mir 0.0.6 Release For Ubuntu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
    Good point, Win7 (don't know about 8) still has parts that where never updated from the XP UI style. As fare as i remember the transition to the office 2007 ribon design isn't universally applied to all applications either, and very few non MS applications have embraced the UI.
    I didn't notice this XP UI style, but you have two completely different UIs in 8 just glued together, Metro/Modern and Win32. I stick with Win32, Modern is retarded for a desktop, is going back to the 80s and using a tiling window manager, with an additional limitation on the number of simultaneous running apps.

On the matter of having direction, it had, for a lot of time. With 8, it lost its direction.

Originally posted by Maxjen View Post
    Why should there only be one toolkit? EFL for example is in a way much better than Qt (faster and more themable), but I am not saying Qt should die. Why can't I have my EFL while you have your Qt?
    I'm not rooting for any particular one. I think there should be agreement on one, merge them, and avoid duplicating efforts and consuming extra resources for no reason. I said I agreed that there should only be one, never said Qt should be that one

Anyway, something I don't remember stating on the subject is that we would still need wrappers for different languages. For example, I'm more fluent on C and know almost nothing on C++, if we'd kill GTK and leave Qt only, as it is right now I wouldn't be able to code on any toolkit. If they (toolkits maintainers) would ever agree to merge, I think the way to go would be first implementing the killed APIs (not neccesarily all from the same original toolkits) as wrappers, and gradually deprecate the old APIs to switch to a newer one. However, this is not likely to ever happen, and if it does it should take years to allow users and devs to upgrade in a non-disrupting way.

EDIT: As a matter of fact, even when I like both GTK and Qt, I use mostly GTK, because I love using XFCE

Comment

Working...
    X