Canonical Puts Out Mir 0.0.6 Release For Ubuntu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
    Because of the fragmentation that is killing the linux platform. GTK Qt and others aren't doing any favors. Now there will also be Wayland and Mir. Just perfect. Windows has Win32 and that is all. You deal with it and make everything look consistent. Linux is just too fragmented. A company should come and standardize one of those and achieve real market penetration. Then everybody will be more or less forced to support it if they want to be popular => less fragmentation => less annoyance and inconsistency. Unity and now Mir are a step in the right direction. If Canonical also manages to get Ubuntu preinstalled on a lot of PCs the future looks good.
    Win32 is not the only API on Windows.

Excatly what part of the fragmentation did Unity solve?

Comment

DEs. Too many DEs. People need at least a sane default. Gnome 3 is always changing and extensions don't work from one version to the next. KDE could be good if it didn't look as it does. People don't seem to like the colours chosen, effects etc. Unity for both desktops and mobile seems to work.
      Unity is just one more DE in that pile, as for constant changing it really annoys me how Canonical keep changing the auto hide behavior. If it gets successful on the mobile platforms that might be a good thing for commonality, but most apps aren't usable on both platforms any way. And it does just as much to fracture the desktop. All you are gaining is a coherent Ubuntu system, witch it already was, but now it's also differs from other Linux systems.

Comment

Because of the fragmentation that is killing the linux platform. GTK Qt and others aren't doing any favors. Now there will also be Wayland and Mir. Just perfect. Windows has Win32 and that is all. You deal with it and make everything look consistent. Linux is just too fragmented. A company should come and standardize one of those and achieve real market penetration. Then everybody will be more or less forced to support it if they want to be popular => less fragmentation => less annoyance and inconsistency. Unity and now Mir are a step in the right direction. If Canonical also manages to get Ubuntu preinstalled on a lot of PCs the future looks good.
        This doesn't make any sense at all, as usual with your posts.

Situation: We have one display server running on desktops and similar devices (X), one that runs on Android devices (SurfaceFlinger). Since the old display server named X is not really a good solution anymore for modern machines Wayland is developed, being able to run on all form factors, which actually prevents future fragmentation.
        Canonical steps in: Hey, look, we will fork that Wayland thingy, because it totally does what we want, but we want to have control over it. We won't admit that and invent bogus technical reasons and we will actively fragment the display server landscape, but we don't care.
        BO$$: Hey, they are doing it to prevent fragmentation and to standardize the display server landscape.

Hey, you know what? If you want an OS where you are forced to do things in a specific way, why coming to Linux? Why not just go to OS X or Windows?

The goold old XKCD applies again: http://xkcd.com/927/

Comment

Demagogy. Like a BO$$.

If fragmentation was the main problem that these arrogant project leaders (and their pathetic fanatics) wanted to solve, they would've support Wayland to take a simple step to unite the whole ecosystem. (which was the idea at the first place) - Then, if there was something they would like to add, they simply could use Wayland branch and create a modified version of their own to get it ready for Consumer use.

But fragmentation isn't the problem. Because nobody's trying to bare their own neck. Monopolism is the main deal. And it's going that way. - Next demagogy we're going to witness will be "There's nothing wrong with a company trying to make profit bla bla" Yeah, nothing's wrong with that as we all agree. But if that company is trying to feed on our ecosystem and trying to become an Apple/Microsoft hybrid, (like *some* other companies in this ecosystem) then there's a problem.

No damn project is trying to unite anything in this ecosystem. It's simply corrupted.
          Last edited by reznov; 09 July 2013, 01:24 PM.

Comment

This argument that windows forces you to do things in a specific way is so bullshit. In fact I use both and in no way is windows limiting me to do stuff my way. You can argue that there are some things for which there is no way to set from the terminal but fuck it, it's 2013, this is no argument. And Linux is pretty limiting itself, so many issues all the time, everything changing constantly and have to work around issues. Is this not limiting? Hunting for solutions all the time on the net? Linux also doesn't have the same applications that windows has. How is this not limiting? A lot of applications that work on linux work on windows also, but not the other way around.

So please stop with the bullshit argument that linux frees you while windows limits you, or forces you to do things a specific way. The windows ecosystem is so much more diverse than any linux fanatic will ever dream of.

They added powershell in windows 7 with SP1 so yeah, the console is pretty good now compared to old cmd.exe. So even the argument that linux has a better terminal is pretty much dead.
            well i seriously doubt you can reach the technical needs to actually expose those issue that make windows a real headache compared to linux to begin with and ofc your facebook page or l4d2 or check gmail will work in any OS just fine and yes linux has much better terminal but you won't understand me why even if i try to explain it but yeah if wanna run commands and some script both do pretty much the same against that is a nobrainer.

about you previous posts as always "bla bla bla is ovbious i can't even read C without getting an stroke bla bla never read a mailing list or investigate facts in my life bla bla bla" nothing new

btw i have strong suspicious mike will give a nasty surprise to mark in the next months when they announce the steamBox

Comment

What? Why would I need to read C to realize that windows is more flexible than anything linux? Do you want people to create custom kernels or what? Do you not see the idiocy of requiring users to know C in order to use an OS? Because there are a lot like you in the linux world who somehow think that they are superior just for knowing C. It might have something to do with the <1% market share hahaha. People run away from linux because it's full of arrogant losers. Ever thought of that? Stupid nerds....they know C psheeesh...
              all that bla bla bla giverish you tried to write in english there is cool for you WoW forum, not when you come to a technical forum where smart ppl discuss technical issues <-- i seriously thought it was obvious at this point, and i don't use linux for market share but because it fulfill my smart ppl technical needs ovbiously[i use mac too btw].

for the rest ppl they can use windows 3.1 for all i care and after all market share is mostly decided by money more than technical reasons this days, after all only smart ppl understand C and complicated stuff psheeesh.. while your average joe want shinny things and superbowl ads showing how you can do all those wonderful freaky thingies with X brand OEM PC that most of them don't even have the knowledge[or IQ] to use.

Comment

This argument that windows forces you to do things in a specific way is so bullshit. In fact I use both and in no way is windows limiting me to do stuff my way. You can argue that there are some things for which there is no way to set from the terminal but fuck it, it's 2013, this is no argument. And Linux is pretty limiting itself, so many issues all the time, everything changing constantly and have to work around issues. Is this not limiting? Hunting for solutions all the time on the net? Linux also doesn't have the same applications that windows has. How is this not limiting? A lot of applications that work on linux work on windows also, but not the other way around.

So please stop with the bullshit argument that linux frees you while windows limits you, or forces you to do things a specific way. The windows ecosystem is so much more diverse than any linux fanatic will ever dream of.

They added powershell in windows 7 with SP1 so yeah, the console is pretty good now compared to old cmd.exe. So even the argument that linux has a better terminal is pretty much dead.
                Isn't it funny how you have "forgotten" to address the debunking of your non-sense and now nitpick over a minor point? For me Windows is useless (I use it for nothing besides starting my games), it doesn't allow me to do what I want, so it is inflexible.
                You know what flexibility is? When an OS is built in a way that a newbie can do his tasks with it and the experts can do their tasks with it also without having the need to use dumbed down GUI interfaces. You know, both of it, not only one. While Windows is good is the first part it is a sucker in the last part, and this will not change with Microsoft's attempt to at least deliver a somewhat decent shell.

But this all has nothing at all to do with Mir and its, according to you, alleged attempt to stop fragmentation.

One last thing:
                People run away from linux because it's full of arrogant losers. Ever thought of that?
                Ah, so now we know why you are still using it. As we say in Germany: Einsicht ist der erste Schritt zur Besserung. A fault confessed is half redressed.

Comment

Because of the fragmentation that is killing the linux platform.
                  So you are supporting the company that's the very cause for display server fragmentation? You are an utter moron.

Comment

What? Why would I need to read C to realize that windows is more flexible than anything linux? Do you want people to create custom kernels or what? Do you not see the idiocy of requiring users to know C in order to use an OS? Because there are a lot like you in the linux world who somehow think that they are superior just for knowing C. It might have something to do with the <1% market share hahaha. People run away from linux because it's full of arrogant losers. Ever thought of that? Stupid nerds....they know C psheeesh...
                    That only tels us that you skill set alows you to do more in Windows then in Linux. In no way does that tell us how flexible the system is, at most it might have a steap learning curve, but that is true of most advanced stuff. Linux is more then a desktop OS.

Comment

Also, how exactly doesn't windows allow 'the experts' to do their job? Seems to me there are a lot of smart people using windows and not complaining that they can't do their work on it.
                      Ever tried to create small single purpose systems with it? Use it on small headless devices (try to put Windows on a Raspberry Pi, for example)? Have it controlling a robot or a drone with an Arduino board? You won't see something like that, simply to unflexible.

But anyways, this is a thread about Mir, so maybe you now try to explain why supporting a company that goes on to fragment the Linux ecosystem helps to stop fragmenting the Linux ecosystem, as you claimed earlier.

Comment

Working...
                      X